Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lethalis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Alright, I must say the iPad Mini is by far my favorite Apple device, and after using the iPad 3 with retina display, then switching to the iPad Mini, it makes me really wonder why Apple slapped in a regular display instead of retina. What do you guys think about Apple's decision on this?

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The iPad mini is significantly thinner than iPad 3/4. Also, a retina display would increase the BOM (bill of materials) and cut into profit margins. A retina displays also needs a bigger battery in order to maintain current battery life. iPad 3 solved this battery problem by including a gigantic battery compared to iPad 1/2.

----------

I think a retina mini would cause me to upgrade from my old faithful iPad 1 - unless a can get a 5" iPhone. :)

I upgraded from my original iPad to iPad mini. I love it and have zero regrets.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Alright, I must say the iPad Mini is by far my favorite Apple device, and after using the iPad 3 with retina display, then switching to the iPad Mini, it makes me really wonder why Apple slapped in a regular display instead of retina. What do you guys think about Apple's decision on this?

Why didn't Apple do it? Because it would have been heavier (to maintain the battery life) and more expensive.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Alright, there were 50 million discussions about this when the mini came out. Alright, you're asking a very basic obvious question way too late. Alright, googling ipad mini retina will show you where they are. Alright.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

Money my friend. They knew people would buy the mini with or without the retina.

They sure got my money but I will sell this one for the retina in the fall.

Lethalis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Alright, there were 50 million discussions about this when the mini came out. Alright, you're asking a very basic obvious question way too late. Alright, googling ipad mini retina will show you where they are. Alright.

This is a thread so people can discuss what they think on Apple's decision, not WHY they did it. Go flame else where. Thank you, and have a nice day.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
This is a thread so people can discuss what they think on Apple's decision, not WHY they did it. Go flame else where. Thank you, and have a nice day.

I guess their decision was pretty good considering the Mini selling like hotcakes without Retina regardless of what we might think.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010

1. keep costs down
2. to encourage you to buy the retina version once released

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand

While I agree with other posters that this has been done to death, I don't think there is any reason to be rude. Since I've answered the why I'll give you a link to my own post explaining why I think the retina display simply wasn't possible in the form factor - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1513636/

With that said, technology advances on and the computing power in the current fullsize iPad was out of reach for the original iPad so a retina iPad mini is likely at some point. My personal thought is that Apple will rationalise their product line shortly and drop the iPad 2 when they release the iPad 5. They'll likely do a speed bump on the mini while they test out new energy saving technologies on the full size example since the new one looks like it will be a bit smaller and they'll use retina and 128GB availability as the distinguishing factors between the full size and mini. Putting retina in the mini when it is already selling like hot cakes would be a financial mistake since it will dramatically reduce the sales of the more expensive product so keeping a little clear water between the two makes sense but the iPad 2's continued existence doesn't although that may move into the education or business only store and stop being actively sold to consumers as they run their supplies down.

I think Apple made a sensible call - they could release a smaller device into the market and still make a decent profit. It has some advantages and disadvantages but it is still in every way an iPad. I remember the iPod mini coming out when I had the 40GB fatty iPod and I thought it was ridiculously small capacity at 4GB but my wife wanted one and she loved it. Don't underestimate the cost saving versus some loss of utility. I have an iPad mini and so does my wife and we love them even though we have iPhones too and the lack of retina display isn't an issue for us since the lightness and battery life trump that and it is certainly a step up from my original iPad. Gaming on the mini is much better than on the full size.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Money my friend. They knew people would buy the mini with or without the retina.

No you won't, because the mini will not get retina til the mini 3.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Thanks for sharing. I will go to you from now on to find out when and what Apple will release in the future.

Does it make sense for them to release the retina on the mini 2? There will be new screen tech on the iPad 5. That will limit production. To keep iPads going out they will stay with the same screen for the mini 2. The iPad 6 will use the same screen as the 5, giving apple production time for the retina ipad mini 3's screen. Does it make sense for Apple to release two new screen technologies at the same time, allowing both to fall behind in production? They won't allow that just so the fan boys are happy.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Does it make sense for them to release the retina on the mini 2? There will be new screen tech on the iPad 5. That will limit production. To keep iPads going out they will stay with the same screen for the mini 2. The iPad 6 will use the same screen as the 5, giving apple production time for the retina ipad mini 3's screen. Does it make sense for Apple to release two new screen technologies at the same time, allowing both to fall behind in production? They won't allow that just so the fan boys are happy.

Get that Internet sarcasm translator done yet? God knows you need one.

Either way, you're preaching to the wrong person, I actually wouldn't mind if the mini 2 had the same screen. More money in my pocket until then. I don't need the latest and greatest like some.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I think people need to remember that apple is selling these to the general consumer who really doesn't know what a retina screen is. The mini is selling like crazy because most people don't really read specs like we do. There are also plenty of people that know the mini is not retina and are cool with it. Even if apple could have added a retina screen to the mini and keep the same size and weight they still wouldn't because it doesn't make business sense. Now when the mini 2 or 3 comes with retina people will want to upgrade and apple will make more money off it. It's pretty smart from a business standpoint. I really like the mini but I don't want to get one now just to upgrade when the mini comes with retina.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I think people need to remember that apple is selling these to the general consumer who really doesn't know what a retina screen is. The mini is selling like crazy because most people don't really read specs like we do. There are also plenty of people that know the mini is not retina and are cool with it. Even if apple could have added a retina screen to the mini and keep the same size and weight they still wouldn't because it doesn't make business sense. Now when the mini 2 or 3 comes with retina people will want to upgrade and apple will make more money off it. It's pretty smart from a business standpoint. I really like the mini but I don't want to get one now just to upgrade when the mini comes with retina.

People don't really read specs like we do? Seriously? The screen on the mini is great. I love how everyone calls the "lack" of the retina on the mini being a slight against the elitist apple fan boy who complains that the mini's screen sucks. I'm really tired of hearing about how horrible the screen is and how the mini 2 will have retina and how everyone is waiting until the mini gets retina. Wait until Oct 2014, because that is when the mini will get retina. Specs my ass!

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
People don't really read specs like we do? Seriously? The screen on the mini is great. I love how everyone calls the "lack" of the retina on the mini being a slight against the elitist apple fan boy who complains that the mini's screen sucks. I'm really tired of hearing about how horrible the screen is and how the mini 2 will have retina and how everyone is waiting until the mini gets retina. Wait until Oct 2014, because that is when the mini will get retina. Specs my ass!

The screen on the mini is sufficient but it’s by no means anything that should be considered great. After using an iPad with retina and an iPhone with retina the mini is clearly a step backwards. I never said anywhere in my post that it sucked. I just simply don't feel the need to buy one now just to upgrade again when the mini with retina comes out. I know people who have the mini and love it but I know for a fact that they will upgrade as soon as the retina mini comes out. I'm not sure when Apple released a statement saying it would be October 2014 but thanks for the info. ;)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The iPad 5 will come first using the new screen technology IGZO, later the Mini will come along using it. This will avoid screen supply issues, plus the redesign will give the full size iPad the sales boost it needs. Everyone will want one. Apple would not release a new full size iPad and Mini together unless the screens were already near a huge volume, that's unlikely in my opinion. Could it be March (or June/July) for iPad? Then October for the Mini 2? Who knows!

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Because people will buy it regardless of retina.

If Apple really wanted to make more money, it could wait till the iPad Mini 3 for a Retina display.

And millions would still buy the iPad Mini 2 without it.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

No, its another thread on a topic already discussed where the OP did not feel like doing a search.

----------

While I agree with other posters that this has been done to death, I don't think there is any reason to be rude. Since I've answered the why I'll give you a link to my own post explaining why I think the retina display simply wasn't possible in the form factor - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1513636/

With that said, technology advances on and the computing power in the current fullsize iPad was out of reach for the original iPad so a retina iPad mini is likely at some point. My personal thought is that Apple will rationalise their product line shortly and drop the iPad 2 when they release the iPad 5. They'll likely do a speed bump on the mini while they test out new energy saving technologies on the full size example since the new one looks like it will be a bit smaller and they'll use retina and 128GB availability as the distinguishing factors between the full size and mini. Putting retina in the mini when it is already selling like hot cakes would be a financial mistake since it will dramatically reduce the sales of the more expensive product so keeping a little clear water between the two makes sense but the iPad 2's continued existence doesn't although that may move into the education or business only store and stop being actively sold to consumers as they run their supplies down.

I think Apple made a sensible call - they could release a smaller device into the market and still make a decent profit. It has some advantages and disadvantages but it is still in every way an iPad. I remember the iPod mini coming out when I had the 40GB fatty iPod and I thought it was ridiculously small capacity at 4GB but my wife wanted one and she loved it. Don't underestimate the cost saving versus some loss of utility. I have an iPad mini and so does my wife and we love them even though we have iPhones too and the lack of retina display isn't an issue for us since the lightness and battery life trump that and it is certainly a step up from my original iPad. Gaming on the mini is much better than on the full size.

Didn't you post this on another thread some time ago?

----------

Because people will buy it regardless of retina.

If Apple really wanted to make more money, it could wait till the iPad Mini 3 for a Retina display.

And millions would still buy the iPad Mini 2 without it.

Retina is NOT the point of the mini. In fact, if Retina add weight or size, it likely wont sell well.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Apple kicked themselves in the ass with the ipad 3. Despite the retina display, it was noticeably thicker and heavier than the ipad 2. Many people held off upgrading from the ipad 2 due to this.

If the mini had gotten a retina, then it too would have been thicker and heavier than it is. OK, so there would not have been a direct comparison to a previous model as none existed, however it was released to compete against the Fire, Nexus etc. The fact it's so thin and light is its major selling point.

Now if the mini 2 comes out with retina, using current technology, then it will be thicker and heavier than the current mini. Again, people will hold off upgrading due to this.

I don't think Apple will make the mistake again of releasing a device that in terms of physical properties, is worse than its predecessor.

The screen technology didn't exist to produce a mini with retina that fitted in with Apples marketing and design goals.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas

No you won't, because the mini will not get retina til the mini 3.

Thanks for sharing. I will go to you from now on to find out when and what Apple will release in the future.

What's up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.