Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Is anyone having an issue connecting their retina 13 inch MBP to an external display with the HDMI output?

I have the latest updates installed (10.8.2) but have tried a samsung monitor 1080p and a sony TV and the desktop appears and then goes black.. anyone having similar problems?

is this a software or a hardware issue?
HDMI connector physically looks fine

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It sounds like a hardware issue. Have you just noticed it recently, or did it work before?

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
well originally bought a 13 inch retina MBP and had no problem connecting to the same external monitor and worked well thru HDMI. but due to reasons I exchanged for another one 2 weeks later and the one I noticed the issue connecting it to a TV.
The sony TV that I connected it to, gave the message that no signal is not receiving and was black. But when I connected thru the mini display port it showed with no problem.
But now connecting to the external monitor thru HDMI gives me issues. but changing the setting to 720p gives me stable screen. but changing it to 1080p makes it go to black screen.
Its weird cause I didnt have this issue with the previous retina 13 inch that I returned and makes me think that it might be a softwere issue cause if it was hardware, it wouldnt be able to connect thru 720p

----------

It sounds like a hardware issue. Have you just noticed it recently, or did it work before?

do you have the retina 13 inch? and if so, you are not having any problems using HDMI?
assuming you have the latest software updates

----------

anyhow hoping 10.8.3 solves the issue otherwise ...

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
----------

[/COLOR]

do you have the retina 13 inch? and if so, you are not having any problems using HDMI?
assuming you have the latest software updates

----------

anyhow hoping 10.8.3 solves the issue otherwise ...

Yes, I have the 13" rMBP. I don't connect it to HDMI often, but it works when I do. I'd schedule a Genius appointment and see if they can run some diagnostics. At the very least, it could rule out a hardware issue.

sloppygator2013

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I had the same problem as you did and I fixed it last night. It's a glitch in ML 10.8.2. There solution is to get rid of a windowserver.plist. You have to delete: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist file. Mine worked after doing that.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
I had the same problem as you did and I fixed it last night. It's a glitch in ML 10.8.2. There solution is to get rid of a windowserver.plist. You have to delete: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist file. Mine worked after doing that.

deleted this file but didnt help. Its a peculiar problem as it stable over 720p but not 1080p even though both are 1080p capable

Sc0rian

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
i got my computer only last week and it didnt have it.

you should check what firmware version you have before running a update. then check it after, to make sure it has actually done it. Also do things twice when it comes to updating EFI/bios etc.

Check your version here for future reference

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.