Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
They were very fast back in their time.

Put Tiger on rather than Leopard. (I'm guessing your PC is running XP and not Windows 8!). Then install TenFourFox http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

It will give you a modern browser with a modern javascript engine but optimised for Tiger and PowerPC processors.

My G4 MDD is running Tiger. I heard from somewhere that Leopard was faster than Tiger on the G4's but I don't know if that's true. It came with Tiger and I don't have any disks to install Leopard, I've only got disks for 10.2.

I also heard that the Camino browser (Or whatever it's called) is also faster than Firefox. Is this also true, will it help? I will try that TenFourFox.

Also, just a random side note, my old PC was running XP, even though it came with lovely Vista. My new HP is on Windows 8 and I'm very happy with it.

----------

Yeah he could then also put Windows98/2000 on that Compaq to compare....

That Compaq is running Windows 2000. So is my other one. I think with those Compaq's it has something to do with the RAM. One is maxed out at 512MB of RAM and has the same performance on Gmail as my G4 MDD. The other one has 128MB and is notably slower.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
My G4 MDD is running Tiger. I heard from somewhere that Leopard was faster than Tiger on the G4's but I don't know if that's true. It came with Tiger and I don't have any disks to install Leopard, I've only got disks for 10.2.

I also heard that the Camino browser (Or whatever it's called) is also faster than Firefox. Is this also true, will it help? I will try that TenFourFox.

Tiger is definitely the quicker OS on a G4.

Camino is good and very likely quicker than firefox. I use Safari and Chrome nowadays as I'm Intel based and prefer webkit browers, but what struck me about tenfourfox is it is specifically compiled and optimised for 10.4 and PPC hardware.

I have my eye on a friend's redundant Power Mac G5, so may well be able to do some testing soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.