Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I own an early 2011 MBP and will be adding a 21.5 iMac to the lineup. Can I simply create an image of my MBP using CCC and restore it to my new iMac? My desire is to replicate my MBP without having to reinstall everything. Thanks for the help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I own an early 2011 MBP and will be adding a 21.5 iMac to the lineup. Can I simply create an image of my MBP using CCC and restore it to my new iMac? My desire is to replicate my MBP without having to reinstall everything. Thanks for the help.

No, not until you upgraded/updated your MBP to OS X 10.8.3 at least, which has not been released yet, as that version will include the drivers for the late 2012 Macs.

As for other methods, you could use Setup / Migration Assistant to transfer settings, applications and your data to the new iMac via Gigabit Ethernet (cable should cost less than 10 USD for a Cat6 one).

Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Like Simsaladimbamba said, just use Migration Assistant on the new iMac when you get it. You can either use a Time Machine backup, or do it over the network.

After the migration finishes, your iMac will be exactly like your laptop in terms of preferences, files, and all of that.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I sold my rMBP and didn't get my iMac for a couple weeks after. Did a simple install of a timemachine backup and once finished was exactly like the rMBP the last day I had it. Simple stuff.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

The problem with cloning... you have a different computer... with different hardware needing different drivers. You can run into problems.

If you use Time Machine, it moves over all the applications, user data etc... but it uses the OS install of your new iMac. It is much cleaner.

BTW: This is one reason why I do not put a lot of priority on having a bootable clone backup. Depending when in its lifecycle my machine crashes... there is at least a 50/50 chance that I will be upgrading to a new computer. Clones are not the best method.

/Jim

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I'm going to echo everyone else's sentiment about the migration assistant. You do not want to clone here; not just because that iMac uses a special build of 10.8.2 but because each machine has specific drivers loaded and you'll have a less stable system if you clone rather than migrate. For your purposes, migrating accomplishes exactly what you want anyway.

OlegPasko

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
UA
I've migrated with Migrant Assistant via Wi-Fi network from my MBA to new late 2012 iMac. All was perfect and most of the program (except battery life :D) works properly :)

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Something that is worth pointing out is that if you have any of the adobe products you need to deactivate them first otherwise when you try to register them again on the new computer they will not be activated, rest should migrate automagically (including the picture you had on the desktop).

eternalife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Something that is worth pointing out is that if you have any of the adobe products you need to deactivate them first otherwise when you try to register them again on the new computer they will not be activated, rest should migrate automagically (including the picture you had on the desktop).

Thanks for all the comments. This is exactly why I wanted to clone. I have several Adobe products that I didn't want to deal with. I also am running Parallels with several images that I didn't want to mess with. I'll try the Migration Assistant and see how that goes. For some reason I was under the impression that although the drivers were different between hardware types, Mac OS shipped them all and the OS chose what it needed - my bad. Thanks again for all the help.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for all the comments. This is exactly why I wanted to clone. I have several Adobe products that I didn't want to deal with. I also am running Parallels with several images that I didn't want to mess with. I'll try the Migration Assistant and see how that goes. For some reason I was under the impression that although the drivers were different between hardware types, Mac OS shipped them all and the OS chose what it needed - my bad. Thanks again for all the help.

Just de-authorize Adobe before migration. I believe that most Adobe products (like CS6) can be registered on two computers. Regarding parallels VM images... I believe they are portable. They are probably (and certainly should be) excluded from your backup set.

/Jim

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You can use Migration Assistant to migrate from a clone. That works quite well especially if you have to sell your old system before buying the new. And a clone is good for quick recovery from a failed drive. So don't rule out the value of clones. (I use clones, TimeMachine, and CrashPlan for extra protection against data loss).

----------

Regarding parallels VM images... I believe they are portable. They are probably (and certainly should be) excluded from your backup set.

/Jim

They most certainly are portable -- it's a great feature. They should be excluded from TimeMachine backups because every time you run the VM the entire VM disk image would be backed up and the TM volume fills quickly with these. However they should be backed up in some manner, like a clone or just a copy somewhere.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Just de-authorize Adobe before migration. I believe that most Adobe products (like CS6) can be registered on two computers. Regarding parallels VM images... I believe they are portable. They are probably (and certainly should be) excluded from your backup set.

/Jim

So just de-authorize on the MBP, do the migration, and then authorize on both machines? I've confirmed I can legally install on both. I guess the same would apply to Lightroom?

I've also confirmation Parallels has a migrate feature as well. Here's hoping the migration assistant pulls the Parallels application over correctly. If it does, the VM migration is easy.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
You can use Migration Assistant to migrate from a clone. That works quite well especially if you have to sell your old system before buying the new. And a clone is good for quick recovery from a failed drive. So don't rule out the value of clones. (I use clones, TimeMachine, and CrashPlan for extra protection against data loss).

----------

They most certainly are portable -- it's a great feature. They should be excluded from TimeMachine backups because every time you run the VM the entire VM disk image would be backed up and the TM volume fills quickly with these. However they should be backed up in some manner, like a clone or just a copy somewhere.

I have a VM on my MBA at work. I primarily work on the Mac side... but some things just require windows. My machine is set up that the data (ex: documents or desktop) is set up to share the same directory as my MBA documents & desktop. Hence... my Window 7 VM is pretty stateless. I can just download the company-wide VM from my corporate network. So in that sense... I guess that it "backed up".

/Jim

----------

So just de-authorize on the MBP, do the migration, and then authorize on both machines? I've confirmed I can legally install on both. I guess the same would apply to Lightroom?

I've also confirmation Parallels has a migrate feature as well. Here's hoping the migration assistant pulls the Parallels application over correctly. If it does, the VM migration is easy.

If you are keeping your Adobe apps on the MBP... I do not think you even need to de-authorize the MBP first. Check to be sure. I've never done it yet... and do not want to be stuck in Adobe authorization hell.

/Jim

JPoetal

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
I have a VM on my MBA at work. I primarily work on the Mac side... but some things just require windows. My machine is set up that the data (ex: documents or desktop) is set up to share the same directory as my MBA documents & desktop. Hence... my Window 7 VM is pretty stateless. I can just download the company-wide VM from my corporate network. So in that sense... I guess that it "backed up".

/Jim

----------

If you are keeping your Adobe apps on the MBP... I do not think you even need to de-authorize the MBP first. Check to be sure. I've never done it yet... and do not want to be stuck in Adobe authorization hell.

/Jim

I timemachined mine and the Adobe stuff never missed a beat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.