Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have a 1st Gen iPod touch that I use for music in my car. I'd like to upgrade the iOS to at least 5.1 so I can stream Podcasts over WiFi. Is there any way I can upgrade this iPod to a newer iOS? I'm currently running iOS 2.2.1 and Apple shows no update available...

Thanks!

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I have a 1st Gen iPod touch that I use for music in my car. I'd like to upgrade the iOS to at least 5.1 so I can stream Podcasts over WiFi. Is there any way I can upgrade this iPod to a newer iOS? I'm currently running iOS 2.2.1 and Apple shows no update available...

Thanks!

No it goes up to 3.1.3 and it barely runs that theres no way that it could handle iOS 5 you could jailbreak and trick the app store into thinking you have iOS 5 but again I would advise against that as well

Kallen

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks!

I have an old 1G that is still very usable. Take a look at this: http://whited00r.com/

I disagree with the previous poster that the 1G can't run 3.1.3 very well. In my experience, it runs great. But it's also very limited by iOS5 & iOS6 standards. Whited00r is a custom firmware that runs 3.1.3 but operates likes 6.0, and it does so very smoothly on my 1G. It's pre-jailbroken, so you have the usual AppStore, Cydia, and one called Time Machine. TimeMachine is an ApPStore that has tons of older AppStore titles that were made for the 3.x firmwares, so you still have access to a ton of apps.. The onyl real limitation to this is you still won't have multi-tasking like a new device, nor will most current app versions (because they are now made for 6.x and higher).

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I have an old 1G that is still very usable. Take a look at this: http://whited00r.com/

I disagree with the previous poster that the 1G can't run 3.1.3 very well. In my experience, it runs great. But it's also very limited by iOS5 & iOS6 standards. Whited00r is a custom firmware that runs 3.1.3 but operates likes 6.0, and it does so very smoothly on my 1G. It's pre-jailbroken, so you have the usual AppStore, Cydia, and one called Time Machine. TimeMachine is an ApPStore that has tons of older AppStore titles that were made for the 3.x firmwares, so you still have access to a ton of apps.. The onyl real limitation to this is you still won't have multi-tasking like a new device, nor will most current app versions (because they are now made for 6.x and higher).

Is Time Machine new? I loaded my 1G with whited00r a few months ago, but was dismayed by how few apps were available; I couldn't find the older versions to run on 3.1.3 and I don't remember a Time Machine, only App Store and Cydia.

Thanks.

Kallen

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2013
Is Time Machine new? I loaded my 1G with whited00r a few months ago, but was dismayed by how few apps were available; I couldn't find the older versions to run on 3.1.3 and I don't remember a Time Machine, only App Store and Cydia.

Thanks.

I've been running it about a months or so. There's a single "App Market" icon on the SB (uses the stock icon for the AppStore). When you open it, it's defaults to the AppStore. Swipe to the right you have TimeMachine and swipe again you have Cydia. I like it a lot.

They spent a lot of time and effort to make it look and act just like iOS6. Folders, wallpapers, etc. Side by side with my 4th gen, hard to tell the difference. Appearance wise.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York

Thanks!

i honestly hope your joking

Joshuafreels75

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2013
I've been searching through the internete and people say it's posibale
Also my friend updated his 1g iPod to iOS 5.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.