Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:49 PM   #26
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
You didn't tell me how they tow things....like a 5th wheel or haul a truck camper...without a truck.
You'll have to ask them.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Ugg
macrumors 68000
 
Ugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Penryn
Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
You didn't tell me how they tow things....like a 5th wheel or haul a truck camper...without a truck.
I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a fifth wheel in Yrup. Perhaps because the turning radius is too large? In regards to the 2nd, if there are no monster trucks...
__________________
Check out <Peter's family tree!
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:18 PM   #28
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
So the Dodge God Made a Farmer commercial generated a lot of buzz. I wanted to discuss this commercial and the effects that such a commercial have on creating misperceptions and stirring nationalistic fervor.


This link may be NSFW, but I'm not sure since I'm not very familiar with the website. The actual video isn't.

But if you can ignore the annoying voice over and attempt at comedy, I think it's actually a pretty good satire on the commercial and the notion of the hard working American farmer that builds America that the Dodge commercial attempted to portray. Especially funny because Dodge is a company that was mismanaged into bankruptcy. What do they know about this?

This is the video The website is "funnyordie.com".
Yeup, parody speaks the truth.
I see farmers with some gargantuan houses.
and a vacation house too.

BTW, those "Forehead Tittes" are da bomb!
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:29 PM   #29
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruckANerve View Post
I like this one. No I'm not christian but some of the things he says still resonate with most people today.

YouTube: video
I like this one more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYEFkYtANVg
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:43 PM   #30
hulugu
macrumors 68000
 
hulugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: the faraway towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post


I drive a truck and i'm not a farmer...what image do I fancy of myself?
I guess the question is, what made you buy a truck over a sedan and how often do you use the capabilities that are particular to the truck, but wouldn't be available to the sedan.

Most people use trucks and SUVs as people movers, but use more gasoline and pay higher insurance rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
You didn't tell me how they tow things....like a 5th wheel or haul a truck camper...without a truck.
Well, generally, Europeans use sedans, small SUVs, and then light trucks. After spending some time there, seeing a Grand Jeep Cherokee (an average-sized SUV) was like seeing an elephant in a petting zoo. And, the full-size trucks that many Americans have were virtually non-existent.

In other parts of the world, the Toyota Hilux is the truck and that's basically a Toyota Tacoma. People seem able to get buy without needed a Cummings Diesel to get to work.
__________________
I look like a soldier; I feel like a thief
hulugu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:56 AM   #31
MuddyPaws1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
I guess the question is, what made you buy a truck over a sedan and how often do you use the capabilities that are particular to the truck, but wouldn't be available to the sedan.

Most people use trucks and SUVs as people movers, but use more gasoline and pay higher insurance rates.
I bought a truck because I haul a large camper, I haul a flat bed trailer with my off road toys, and the boat, and other things like logs, wood, dirt, gravel, refrigerator, tables....lots of stuff. I just hauled a trailer yesterday to the scrap yard. I use the true capability of the truck probably every few weeks. I bought a truck because I use it.

And for the record, the insurance on it wasn't any more expensive then the Cherokee that I had.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
Well, generally, Europeans use sedans, small SUVs, and then light trucks. After spending some time there, seeing a Grand Jeep Cherokee (an average-sized SUV) was like seeing an elephant in a petting zoo. And, the full-size trucks that many Americans have were virtually non-existent.

In other parts of the world, the Toyota Hilux is the truck and that's basically a Toyota Tacoma. People seem able to get buy without needed a Cummings Diesel to get to work.
That's cultural. There is no way any of those vehicles is going to haul my camper for one. Last summer we traveled 6000 miles exploring this country with our truck and camper. And I shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. I want to have a truck, I am allowed to do that.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:19 PM   #32
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Dodge isn't selling their truck to the 1% of Americans who make their living farming.

Dodge is selling their truck to the Americans who are delusional enough to believe that they need a full-sized truck to survive in suburbia ... a truck that gets 16.8 mpg with gasoline over $3 per gallon ... but at least it makes them feel rugged and manly.
Kinda hard to haul cattle in a Subaru or a Prius, dontcha think?
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:00 PM   #33
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
Kinda hard to haul cattle in a Subaru or a Prius, dontcha think?
That's part of the point.

Relatively few truck owners haul cattle.

Though I suspect all like to think they do/would/could.

And that's what the commercial was about.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:56 PM   #34
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
That's part of the point.

Relatively few truck owners haul cattle.

Though I suspect all like to think they do/would/could.

And that's what the commercial was about.
I work and live in a farm community, you are wrong.

I drive a half ton truck and I use it to haul my four wheeler out to timber jobs. Please tell me how I'd get my four wheeler to a job an hour away with a Volkswagen Jetta.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:47 PM   #35
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
I work and live in a farm community, you are wrong.

I drive a half ton truck and I use it to haul my four wheeler out to timber jobs. Please tell me how I'd get my four wheeler to a job an hour away with a Volkswagen Jetta.
Guns and trucks are things he doesn't understand..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:49 PM   #36
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Guns and trucks are things he doesn't understand..
Obviously. If it were up to him, we'd all drive electric cars and have solar panels on our houses mandated by the federal government.
IBradMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:54 PM   #37
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
Obviously. If it were up to him, we'd all drive electric cars and have solar panels on our houses mandated by the federal government.
You mistake me for someone on your side don't do that..

There are places and jobs that need trucks, I lived in Morrow County Ohio a vast majority need truck there.

The flip side is there are many suburban warriors that need to ponder need/want.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:01 PM   #38
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
You mistake me for someone on your side don't do that..

There are places and jobs that need trucks, I lived in Morrow County Ohio a vast majority need truck there.

The flip side is there are many suburban warriors that need to ponder need/want.
And I live around Athens, Ohio and work in Jackson county Ohio. In the past, I have worked as far as Huntington, WV down into Wayne, WV back up to just below Columbus, OH.

I assure you the majority if truck owners I ever see have it for a purpose. But yes, I agree I'd be naive to think there aren't 'road warriors' out there. But isn't it nice to have a choice. It's their choice to buy something they don't need.

I don't NEED an iPhone, but I want one. It costs more a month to operate than a conventional data-plan-free phone.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:06 PM   #39
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
And I live around Athens, Ohio and work in Jackson county Ohio. In the past, I have worked as far as Huntington, WV down into Wayne, WV back up to just below Columbus, OH.

I assure you the majority if truck owners I ever see have it for a purpose. But yes, I agree I'd be naive to think there aren't 'road warriors' out there. But isn't it nice to have a choice. It's their choice to buy something they don't need.

I don't NEED an iPhone, but I want one. It costs more a month to operate than a conventional data-plan-free phone.
The issue falls in the fact that we need to be as low impact as possible. Because you can afford a truck that gets 12MPG doesn't mean you should have one.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:10 PM   #40
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The issue falls in the fact that we need to be as low impact as possible. Because you can afford a truck that gets 12MPG doesn't mean you should have one.
What do you suppose we do?

We could make a new government agency that oversees our vehicle purchases just to make sure it's what we need, not what we want. That a way no one will be wasteful.
IBradMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:19 PM   #41
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
What do you suppose we do?

We could make a new government agency that oversees our vehicle purchases just to make sure it's what we need, not what we want. That a way no one will be wasteful.
My solution is $5.00 to $8.00 dollar a gallon gas..
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:34 PM   #42
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
I work and live in a farm community, you are wrong.
I'm wrong?

Sorry. I didn't understand that because YOU live on a farm that my statement ... Relatively few truck owners haul cattle ... is therefore proven false.

citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 PM   #43
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I'm wrong?

Sorry. I didn't understand that because YOU live on a farm that my statement ... Relatively few truck owners haul cattle ... is therefore proven false.

Living on a farm? I never said that. I said "farm community".

I'd still like an answer to my last question about transporting my quad to job sites or you can continue to dispute what is convenient for you.
IBradMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:44 PM   #44
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
Living on a farm? I never said that. I said "farm community".

I'd still like an answer to my last question about transporting my quad to job sites or you can continue to dispute what is convenient for you.
Thats generally how it works..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:55 PM   #45
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBradMac View Post
I'd still like an answer to my last question about transporting my quad to job sites or you can continue to dispute what is convenient for you.
I don't understand why you are being so prickly about this.

If you have a legitimate reason to own a full-sized truck, then congratulations.

I'm not trying to deny you your ability to own a truck.

That doesn't change that many people drive full-sized trucks and SUVs because they buy into the "bigger is better" paradigm that has long motivated the American car and truck buyer.

If you are immune to that lure, then good for you.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #46
MuddyPaws1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The issue falls in the fact that we need to be as low impact as possible. Because you can afford a truck that gets 12MPG doesn't mean you should have one.
That's an over generalization and shows your lack of knowledge. My truck gets far better gas mileage than that and so do many others. Hell, my 96 Ram got better than that and it was an old technology gasser with a 360 v8. The 2013 gas Ford F-150 is rated for 23. The 2013 gas Chevrolet Silverado is rated at 22 and has just short of 2000 pound payload. Show me a car that can do that?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
My solution is $5.00 to $8.00 dollar a gallon gas..
What? Just to stop people from buying something they want? That's insane.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #47
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I don't understand why you are being so prickly about this.

If you have a legitimate reason to own a full-sized truck, then congratulations.

I'm not trying to deny you your ability to own a truck.

That doesn't change that many people drive full-sized trucks and SUVs because they buy into the "bigger is better" paradigm that has long motivated the American car and truck buyer.

If you are immune to that lure, then good for you.
My point is people can buy whatever they want. It doesn't affect you so why worry about it? Why does anyone need a Mercedes or a BMW? There are surely more economical cars available.

Everyone buys crap they don't need. I just bought a new bow. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Obviously.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:20 PM   #48
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
That's an over generalization and shows your lack of knowledge. My truck gets far better gas mileage than that and so do many others. Hell, my 96 Ram got better than that and it was an old technology gasser with a 360 v8. The 2013 gas Ford F-150 is rated for 23. The 2013 gas Chevrolet Silverado is rated at 22 and has just short of 2000 pound payload. Show me a car that can do that?

----------



What? Just to stop people from buying something they want? That's insane.
Yep I know nothing about trucks I'm so sorry, I bow to your infinite wisdom.

http://www.cars.com/ford/f150/2013/

http://www.thecarconnection.com/revi...m-1500_green_7

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...ilverado.shtml

I apologize in 2013 they got 14 MPG or were you talking about a pointless 2WD truck?

Yes I would raise the prices that far so people would stop buying what they want and polluting my air...
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:21 PM   #49
eric/
Thread Starter
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Yes I would raise the prices that far so people would stop buying what they want and polluting my air...
I say we just raise prices on everything that we don't want people to do.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 PM   #50
IBradMac
macrumors 68000
 
IBradMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to IBradMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Yep I know nothing about trucks I'm so sorry, I bow to your infinite wisdom.

http://www.cars.com/ford/f150/2013/

http://www.thecarconnection.com/revi...m-1500_green_7

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...ilverado.shtml

I apologize in 2013 they got 14 MPG or were you talking about a pointless 2WD truck?

Yes I would raise the prices that far so people would stop buying what they want and polluting my air...
I see lots of 'pointless' 2wd trucks down in the Carolina's.
IBradMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Risk of buying iPhone 5 off chinese gold farmer/reseller off Craigslist? lawlbringer iPhone 3 Sep 25, 2012 06:59 PM
Sold iPhone 4S but didn't made a factory reset Achillias iPhone 12 Sep 1, 2012 12:30 PM
Are macs made in a factory or an assembly. FatGuy007 MacBook Pro 19 Aug 12, 2012 11:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC