Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I have a OtterBox Commuter and a Speck Candyshell for my iPhone 5. My main concern is which one has more of a risk of scratching the phone from dust getting inside, people with the candyshell or the commuter, please comment on the condition of the chamfered edges on your phone.

Update:

So today I was cleaning a replacement phone that I got about a week ago from the Genius Bar, and I noticed a small dent/chip on the side (not on the chamfer, on the actual side and not more then a mm in size, probably less) however, it is still anodized over, I looked at my case (speck candyshell) and I saw something that is around the same size and in around the same place, but I think it is just a defect in the rubber. My question is, could the case have caused this, or was it out of the box like this but I didn't notice? I've only had it for a week.

Attachments

• DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC_0567.jpg
    DSC_0567.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I have a OtterBox Commuter and a Speck Candyshell for my iPhone 5. My main concern is which one has more of a risk of scratching the phone from dust getting inside, people with the candyshell or the commuter, please comment on the condition of the chamfered edges on your phone.

My brother and I both have a cnadyshell with no scuffs or scratches anywhere on the phone including the chamfered/beveled edges. I also have an otterbox defender that I use from time to time. I have no screen protector or skin on the phone. Can't say for the commuter though.

As long as you take the phone out every few days or once a week to clean out the dust and lint, you shouldn't get any scratches.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone with a commuter care to tell me how the case is treating the phone?

I just took my commuter off my iPhone 5 after having it on for month or so and there has been no damage to the phone. I'm very happy with the amount of protection it's given me.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I just took my commuter off my iPhone 5 after having it on for month or so and there has been no damage to the phone. I'm very happy with the amount of protection it's given me.

P.S. I also use a back screen protector in addition to the front one just to be safe as the Commuter has an Apple logo cutout through which a sharp object could potentially scratch your phone.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011

I used the commuter for 2 weeks and did not have any problem with damage to my phone, but just did not like it, then I tried the Incipio Dual Pro and that one was the winner. Since then I have moved on as I like a belt holster and got the Siedio Obex and love it.

P.S. I am sorry I know you did not ask about other brands than Otterbox and Speck, but thought I would just give a little more info on my experience

saporiti

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
I used to have the Speck Candyshell on the iPhone 4S, and I'm currently waiting for my Speck Candyshell Grip for the iPhone 5.

For me, there is no better brand for iPhone cases then Speck

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I would say the Speck has better protection against the problems you have describe. For one, the commuter has the opening in the back, and also the silicone is very loose, which could let dust in.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
So today I was cleaning a replacement phone that I got about a week ago from the Genius Bar, and I noticed a small dent/chip on the side (not on the chamfer, on the actual side and not more then a mm in size, probably less) however, it is still anodized over, I looked at my case (speck candyshell) and I saw something that is around the same size and in around the same place, but I think it is just a defect in the rubber. My question is, could the case have caused this, or was it out of the box like this but I didn't notice? I've only had it for a week.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

Update:

No. Rubber is not harder than aluminum.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
My black iPhone 5 was a week old and mint. I tried a Speck Fabshell on it and when I removed the case there was a tiny scratch in the chamfered edge at the bottom of my phone. I'm absolutely certain the Speck caused it yet I saw no imperfections inside the case when I inspected it.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
UPDATE:
Much better pictures from my DSLR

Attachments

• DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-12 at 2.39.08 PM.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 193

Abarth1200

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Seriously are you seriously posting on a forum about a speck yes a SPECK! of a smudge that might even be dirt, I certainly cant even see anything on the inside lip of your case other than the rough edge to the left of your 'mark'

People like you really get on my nerves, I fit windows and doors and pretty much everything in between and sometimes there is a small defect, like a pin head sized ding in the uPVC frame and a customer decides to hold back 8K of payment becasue of this 20 GBP problem, its a wonder how the population hasnt killed itself off

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
UPDATE:
Much better pictures from my DSLR

That little scratch is pretty small and hardly looks like a scratch from the pic, but if I were you, I'd just get a side skin from sticker boy.net and then put on whatever case you want. Would add just a bit of extra protection.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
That little scratch is pretty small and hardly looks like a scratch from the pic, but if I were you, I'd just get a side skin from sticker boy.net and then put on whatever case you want. Would add just a bit of extra protection.

I already ordered one, but i want to know if the case caused this, or it came like this

naths

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Bristol.UK
Seriously are you seriously posting on a forum about a speck yes a SPECK! of a smudge that might even be dirt, I certainly cant even see anything on the inside lip of your case other than the rough edge to the left of your 'mark'

People like you really get on my nerves, I fit windows and doors and pretty much everything in between and sometimes there is a small defect, like a pin head sized ding in the uPVC frame and a customer decides to hold back 8K of payment becasue of this 20 GBP problem, its a wonder how the population hasnt killed itself off

+1....sad world when people havn't got anything better to worry about than a piece of overpriced aluminium!!!!...very very sad!!!...thought forums were for serious things???

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
That case did not dent your phone. It came that way. The Real-not-fake-Candyshells are very gentle on the finish but I always put a rear protector on my phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.