Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it is possible to have multiple names for a single iPhone contact.

For example, if I had a contact named Ted Anderson but also wanted this contact to be known as dad. Can this be done ? Also, can this be done in a way where Siri will call the contact by their "dad" name in addition to their actual name?

Thanks for reading

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
From apple / Siri FAQ...

Siri helps you by learning about the key people in your life. The first time you ask Siri to call your sister, it will ask you who your sister is. That information is stored in Contacts along with other relationship information like “mom,” “husband,” and “grandma.”

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Great responses!

So if I use nickname that will call them using only the name. If I say call sister, and Siri asks who it is, will Siri build a relationship for that on my own contact info or will that just add nickname to her?

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Interesting...

If I say "call mom" Siri will infact call my mom who has the nickname mom.

If I say "call my mom" Siri says she doesn't know who my mom is or who I even am, despite the mom nickname existing for her. (I don't have a contact card for myself).

aconnell11

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2013
Oshkosh, WI
Nicknames and relationships are set up differently. As soon as you say "my", it looks for a relationship to that person within your own contact. Set up a contact for yourself and say to Siri " so and so is my mother" and it will confirm the relationship so you can say "my mom" without confusion.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Nicknames and relationships are set up differently. As soon as you say "my", it looks for a relationship to that person within your own contact. Set up a contact for yourself and say to Siri " so and so is my mother" and it will confirm the relationship so you can say "my mom" without confusion.

Yep. OP, it's made so that you could have your father be known as:

Jonathan (name)
Jon (nickname)
Dad (Siri-known relationship)

You put the relationship in the nickname field, so that's where the weirdness is coming from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.