Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I like this idea that the people who are going to take a firm stand against this watch, and kill its popularity, are those who don't wear watches --because "no one wears watches any more" or because they don't like the style -- plus those who only wear elegant jewelry watches. Those who are most sensitive to fashion are going to be the ones holding the line when these watches become ubiquitous and as fashionable as iPhones? It's a funny thought.

No, the watch will become ubiquitous for exactly the same reason the iPhone did: nerds will love it, those who just want to get things done will accept it, and Apple marketing and design will ensure that those who are fashion-conscious -- precisely those who are claiming to be resistant now -- will join the groundswell which defines what fashion is.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
precisely those who are claiming to be resistant now -- will join the groundswell which defines what fashion is.
If wearing a mini-brick on your wrist is fashion these days then I'm breaking out my bag phone again.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
When I first heard of this I thought "nope, no way. If Apple does this then they will had just made this first epic fail in quite a while." Though I then started to think about it. I actually think it would have so much potential.

If it gave you notifications about emails, or maybe if you could link it to your phone it could give you notifications of new texts or missed calls. My mind kept going on and on what actually a watch could have that we really never thought it could have.

I could see Apple somehow building in Siri. Set timers/alarms by had? Psh you could just speak to it (Even though I don't think Apple would do this as I believe it would be pretty flawed on a watch).

Though hows the battery life on it? Because this is a watch it'd really somehow need to be able to last a very long time. It would suck to have to "charge" your watch just about every day or one night forget to charge it and it dies on you. While sure other watches can die on you, though they usually tend to last a good while and you really don't have to worry about carrying around a spare battery or in Apples case having to charge it every night.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
This may have (probably) been brought up in the eight pages of thread already.

Ever since Apple made such a big deal of the previous Nano being used as a watch - a whole presentation segment, new watchface options, endorsing the watchband third party accessories - then drastically changed the design of the Nano the following year, it has seemed pretty much a given that they were doing that so that they could introduce an actual watch line.

Whether it will be useful or wanted is a matter of opinion and of course no one knows the details yet. (I'm someone who doesn't wear watches. I personally don't care at this point.) But yeah... of course they saw that there was a want and a market for it and they wanted to do it their way.

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
So this is why they changed the nano!!!! Anyways I would get one if its good and it should have a solar panel no battery

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
If this iWatch is not powered by energy harvesting (e.g. body heat, nano-dynamo), it will be a terrible user experience. Users will use it for a week or so, and then put it in the drawer forever.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
It seems now Apple is trying to follow the market instead of the market following them. I mean, look at iPhone +, which will have 5" screen to imitate the S3. And the iWatch will be an imitation of the Pebble watch. Is Apple just surviving?

Where is it? I can't find an iPhone+ !! Ah, you mean based on the rumors.
Based on that logic, Apple was fallowing the market on 2007 too when they introduced a smart phone (smart phones existed even before)

To top it up, Apple won't bring out a new product if that product doesn't have something new to make it stand out of the crowd.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I like this idea that the people who are going to take a firm stand against this watch, and kill its popularity, are those who don't wear watches --because "no one wears watches any more" or because they don't like the style -- plus those who only wear elegant jewelry watches. Those who are most sensitive to fashion are going to be the ones holding the line when these watches become ubiquitous and as fashionable as iPhones? It's a funny thought.

No, the watch will become ubiquitous for exactly the same reason the iPhone did: nerds will love it, those who just want to get things done will accept it, and Apple marketing and design will ensure that those who are fashion-conscious -- precisely those who are claiming to be resistant now -- will join the groundswell which defines what fashion is.
If they want people who wear watches to consider buying an iWatch, Apple will need to make a smartwatch that looks like a real watch and not a cheap piece of plastic.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Willow glass, looks cool, but then i read in the article "not as strong as Gorilla glass" .... And it put me off straight away.

Just another "cool" factor, but when it breaks (and it will), people will start yelling again.

I don't mind something being flexible, but at least at bare minimum, make it so its "better" than what we already have, not worse.

That is innovation.....

Still looks nice :)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Good to know. I've always wondered why more people don't wear them; it's strapped to your wrist, your chances of losing it are pretty slim compared to your phone. Not to mention battery life/works anywhere/etc. And you can get a real nice one if you're concerned about "fashion". :rolleyes:

Also important is that it's waterproof. That one time when it rains, and you can't pull out your phone...

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
maybe they should work instead on a "new" iOS and iPhone which are 3 years old and haven't evolved compared to android and other phones...

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I think a watch that would integrate with an iPhone, iPad or can control the Apple TV would definitely be cool and provide some usefulness.

I however prefer to make a statement with a watch and prefer a nicely designed automatic watch such as my Breitling Cosmonaute (not as ubiquitous as the Navitimer).

I would probably buy an Apple Watch if it would include some sports functionality and integration with the iPhone. I would wear it when I'm dressed down.

----------

Seriouly, I would rather buy a Mickey Mouse watch than an iWatch.

Until the power problem is solved, this iWatch idea is a daydream, the product will be the worst iToy ever.

What power problem?

----------

No, THIS is a watch. And yes, I own this. I call it the Conversation Starter. The looks I get are worth the price alone. I've spoken to many a stranger simply because they were curious enough to ask me about it.

With all due respect, but that's just ridiculous. Those things should be hanging in train stations. Or around the neck of Flavor Flav.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
From wikipedia - "Men, who carried pocket watches, were quoted as saying they would "sooner wear a skirt as wear a wristwatch"." So a pocketwatch is for penis'd individuals and a wrist watch is for the iPad mini people, you know, those with a handbag (and a vagina).

The reason men didn't like wristwatches initially isn't because they looked effeminate, it's because manufacturing technology wasn't advanced enough to produce a wristwatch that was reliable or accurate, so it was basically a fashion curiosity.

During WWI, the penised individuals who were fighting in the war realized that wristwatches were accurate enough and useful enough at that point to help them synchronize operations (vs. having to constantly check their pocket watches, not unlike having to check a cell phone). The soldiers never stopped wearing their watches and that's why men (and probably most women) wear watches today.

Given that people basically wear watches today due to their proven utility in combat, I don't see how you can question their masculinity.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I've had a curved glass watch for the past 18months, made by Phospor using e-ink for its display

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I'm just curious, I mean, what makes iPhone 5 stand out of the crowd?

Combination of hardware+software= great user experience.
You could argue all day you want, it still stands out from the entire army of thick giant plastic smart phones.

PS: Besides, if you read my comment i was referring to a new products to the market (by new i mean first iPod, first iPhone, first iPad etc)

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why would Apple do this instead of developing some badass wireless headset for iPhone and then adding more features to Siri? If you use earbuds, you can already do about anything some watch will do.

This sounds like some gimmick idea for people who are too lazy to pull a phone out of their pocket and click one button. Seriously, who spends $200+ on a phone and $80 on a service plan and then wants a watch with apps?

If Apple is really putting anything about this out in the media, it must be a pump fake for the Apple TV set.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Next will see this watch with Siri in........ peple will then be holding there wrist and talking to their watch...

Just like impossible mission..... :p

it all becoming a reality. Once Apple hooks on a technology, they find as many devices (even if it probably would sound a bit wacky) to implement it into.

Just wait...... It'll come.... You can be sure of that.

Hey... its Apple ....:) anything to catch on to consumers.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Ditto. This must be a troll?! Apple is the most valuable company in the world, of course it's mainstream! We're not still in the 90s when Apple was worth about the same price as a chocolate bar!

Why troll ? Of course Apple is mainstream, but I'm not Apple's share holder, I'm a user. Mainstream is not only about market share and value, it's about choices too. I don't like the turn that the company takes towards mass consuming products (a watch ?) while alienating professionals at the same time, in both s/w and h/w. That's all.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I guess this could be another one of Apple's "hobby" products. Not much wide appeal but great for whoever likes that kind of thing.

Yeah yeah, so was the iPod when it came out.

Don't be so short sighted. Imagine an industrial design timepiece on your wrist with a Bluetooth link up to your phone. On top of all the regular smart watch capabilities like displaying text messages and notifications, it could act as a proximity security device for your phone. If you're near the phone you don't have to enter a passcode. If you move out of range, your watch notifies you. You could embed NFC to pay for things simply by waving your hand at the counter. Having it strapped to your wrist means you never have to rummage around in your bag or pocket.

Last edited:

theotherdell

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Haven't used a watch for 14 years.

I think ubiquitous computing has rendered the practical functions of a watch obsolete. The fashion/jewellery functions of a watch are quite different and Apple wont win here without loosing their "Apple" quality.

A wrist-mounted device for security and payment will clearly sell well to technology addicts, but adds little real value to the lives of most people. A watch that controls your iDevice is pretty redundant - said device is in your hand half the day already.

It would be sad and cynical if Cook's membership of two boards drove this forward too far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.