Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1
yomoooo
macrumors newbie

Skype password status quo

I have a password issue with skype that almost reaches philosophical heights:

I have a skype account, which works well on my MacBook. But today I thought I would install it on my iPhone, therefore needing my password. Realizing I hadn't used it for quite a while, since I've checked the "remember password"- box, I searched in Keychain but the password wasn't saved there. Nevertheless Skype remembers the password and automatically logs in, so I could see what my e-mail address was and use the "recover password"-future on their website. However, when I try to do that it says it doesn't recognize my e-mail address. So I open the skype application again where I, instead of "my profile", go to "view account". There I can see that while my "profile e-mail address" is there, there's no "registered e-mail adress" which apparently is something else, meaning I can't recover my password like that.

So the question is, how do I recover my password from the skype application? (guessing that would be the solution) I've found an application that does this for windows but not for mac.

Thanks for any answers! Jonatan
yomoooo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

Your Keychain Access application probably holds the password. Open Keychain Access, look through the list of passwords for a Skype entry, double-click the entry and fill the checkbox next to Show password and provide your administrator password. Did that work?
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
Your Keychain Access application probably holds the password.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomoooo View Post
I searched in Keychain but the password wasn't saved there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomoooo View Post
Nevertheless Skype remembers the password and automatically logs in, so I could see what my e-mail address was and use the "recover password"-future on their website. However, when I try to do that it says it doesn't recognize my e-mail address.
What web browser are you using? Is it possible the browser is saving the password, rather than Keychain? Did you look in your email account to see if there were any previous emails from Skype that include links to access your account or reset password?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:38 AM   #4
cervera
macrumors newbie

Solution?

Hi,
I have now the same issue with skype and lost password. Keychain does not show the password and if i try to see the password via terminal its encrypted. So please tell me, did you find a solution to recover your skype password??
cervera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Pndrgnsvc
macrumors regular

To recover a forgotten Skype password, this may be a good place to start:https://login.skype.com/account/password-reset-request

FWIW, it worked for me.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pndrgnsvc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6
joanwa
macrumors newbie

any news

I wonder why only so few people came across this issue. I'm holding back of reseting my parents mac mini for years simply because of this freaking 'skype' password.
If someone finds where skype for mac os x saves its password and knows how to display it, I would be super happy! Basically the following combination makes it somehow impossible to recover or set a new password, even though your skype still works and logs in happily:

- the pwd is not saved in the keychain, altough Skype creates an entry there
- skype password reset only works over 'registered' email adresses
- w/o pwd, one cannot enter an 'registered' email address on skype
- skype allows(ed?) to delete the 'registered' email adress w/o entering another one
joanwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store