Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I purchased a 2011 MBA in december 2011 and in June 2012 sold it to my girlfriend so I could upgrade to the updated 2012. She has been having issues with it charging. Yesterday she had it charging for 2 hours or so she thought and it drained all the way down to 2 percent battery. She was doing work that had to be finished by the end of the night so she was panicing. She tried different outlets and moving the cord with no luck. I suggested she should try the extension cord that is included and it didn't charge at first but all of a sudden it started to charge. We did not choose to get applecare for her laptop so we may have to pay for the repair/replacement if it is just the charge cable but my question after all of these details is if it is plausible that the little wall adapter that hooks on the block directly went bad? It seems to have solved the problem but I don't think it seems to make sense. Any suggestions or previous experiences with anyone getting apple to service a laptop that is out of warranty?

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I purchased a 2011 MBA in december 2011 and in June 2012 sold it to my girlfriend so I could upgrade to the updated 2012. She has been having issues with it charging. Yesterday she had it charging for 2 hours or so she thought and it drained all the way down to 2 percent battery. She was doing work that had to be finished by the end of the night so she was panicing. She tried different outlets and moving the cord with no luck. I suggested she should try the extension cord that is included and it didn't charge at first but all of a sudden it started to charge. We did not choose to get applecare for her laptop so we may have to pay for the repair/replacement if it is just the charge cable but my question after all of these details is if it is plausible that the little wall adapter that hooks on the block directly went bad? It seems to have solved the problem but I don't think it seems to make sense. Any suggestions or previous experiences with anyone getting apple to service a laptop that is out of warranty?

Did you at least try to charge her Air with the charger from your 2012?

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
BeeJee - they have different chargers and fittings at the computer. I have one each 2011 and 2012 and the chargers are incompatible, won't even connect to the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.