Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:04 AM   #26
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
All our games ship on DVD and all the popular Mac digital download stores like MacGamesStore and AppStore. We don't however support Steam at this time.

The DVD usually ships a few weeks after the download due to manufacturing and shipping overhead compared to download.
I really hope you guys will work out some arrangement with Steam in the future, the sooner the better. I really like Steam more than any other place to get my games.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
We can't go into details but essentially the licensing model Steam launched with was not feasible for Feral. This does not mean we won't be on Steam in the future it just means we are not on Steam right now.
The problem I have with that answer is seeing Aspyr do it and then wondering how it is if they could work something out that Feral can't, or is it won't?

Sometimes when things are left to the imagination, people tend to think up worse scenarios than whatever the real truth of the situation is, you know?

Anyway, I do hope you manage to work out something. I think you are probably missing out on a lot of sales by not being there.

I should add, the one time Aspyr went and skipped out on Steamplay with Black OPS and far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:01 AM   #27
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
...far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.
Sometimes a game engine is designed in such a way it cannot play Mac <-> PC unless the PC is rewritten with platform agnostic code. This usually means the Mac will not play against the PC as they will not rewrite the entire PC networking code to get it working with the Mac. Sad but sometimes true.

I don't know if that was the reason for this game as I don't work for Asypr but I am pretty sure if it was possible to get Mac <-> PC gameplay they would have done it!
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:15 AM   #28
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
IAnyway, I do hope you manage to work out something. I think you are probably missing out on a lot of sales by not being there.

I should add, the one time Aspyr went and skipped out on Steamplay with Black OPS and far worse, isolated the Mac multiplayer from the large PC multiplayer community, my response was to ignore the game. I'm sure I was not alone in that choice.
Presumably some sales are lost for games not being available via Steam. However, if you read the reviews on Amazon for the PC versions of "Napoleon: Total War" & "Empire", you'll find that the vast majority of low-scoring 1 & 2 star ratings are not so much critical of the games, but rather that many people simply don't like Steam. Check them out.

I agree that Feral's games being available via Steam seems the way forward in the long-term, but I also hope DVD options continue to exist for a good few years yet.
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:19 AM   #29
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa View Post
I also hope DVD options continue to exist for a good few years yet.
No plans to kill off DVD right now, that said it is becoming a smaller and smaller amount of the overall sales. Most people buy downloadable copies.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #30
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
No plans to kill off DVD right now, that said it is becoming a smaller and smaller amount of the overall sales. Most people buy downloadable copies.

Edwin
I can appreciate that as an increasing trend, Ed. However, I wonder how much that has to do with a simple lack of availability of the DVD versions &, hence, rising prices for a lot of the Mac platform?

When I look at sites like Amazon for the best Mac games in recent years, some of the availability is poor, but some prices are frankly shocking.

Take your excellent port of Rome: Total War. The DVD version is rarely available. The cheapest copy right now is 54.99! That's getting on for $87, at current currency exchange rates. For an older game, as good as it is, that's far too high.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rome-Total-W...0594836&sr=8-1

I suspect more people are being forced to buy downloads, which of course plays right into the hands of companies like Apple &, soon enough, Microsoft (going by Windows 8 & speculations about Xbox 720).

Maybe in the years to come some gamers will increasingly turn to retro gaming. With plenty of older AAA titles out there for various platforms, it seems a viable alternative.
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:27 AM   #31
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
It's great news to see more games come to the mac platform, and I have confidence that feral will deliver yet another good port.
I already have the PC version, on steam, so it's doubtful I'm gonna get the mac version, unless I find it cheap on sale.

A bit off topic, but I've seen many feral titles now on Origin. Will this be the digital platform Feral is gonna focus on?
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.4
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #32
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa View Post
I can appreciate that as an increasing trend, Ed. However, I wonder how much that has to do with a simple lack of availability of the DVD versions &, hence, rising prices for a lot of the Mac platform?

When I look at sites like Amazon for the best Mac games in recent years, some of the availability is poor, but some prices are frankly shocking.

Take your excellent port of Rome: Total War. The DVD version is rarely available.
That's strange but Amazon are always a little weird with stock issues. However they always sell Feral games at our RRP or lower.

Have you ever thought of ordering direct from us? We always have all the games in stock and have free world wide shipping so all you pay is the $30 RRP.

As for people not finding the DVD's we find it was more down to the "if it is not on the shelf in the Apple Store it does not exist" syndrome. We still sell DVD's but we do find someone living in Australia, South Africa or miles away from a big city prefer the instant delivery of a download copy instead of waiting for a DVD to arrive in the post.

Kinda like the death of Blockbusters because they did not see Netflix coming. Instant access is a big draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluthz View Post
A bit off topic, but I've seen many feral titles now on Origin. Will this be the digital platform Feral is gonna focus on?
Not at all, we support as many online stores we can to give customers as much choice as possible, EA Origin is a new Mac store and we are happy to be one of their launch partners. This does not mean we will stop supporting all the other stores with our games, it just means you have one more option when buying Feral products.

Edwin

Last edited by edddeduck; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added quotation marks
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:11 AM   #33
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
That's strange but Amazon are always a little weird with stock issues. However they always sell Feral games at our RRP or lower.

Have you ever thought of ordering direct from us? We always have all the games in stock and have free world wide shipping so all you pay is the $30 RRP.

As for people not finding the DVD's we find it was more down to the "if it is not on the shelf in the Apple Store it does not exist" syndrome. We still sell DVD's but we do find someone living in Australia, South Africa or miles away from a big city prefer the instant delivery of a download copy instead of waiting for a DVD to arrive in the post.

Kinda like the death of Blockbusters because they did not see Netflix coming. Instant access is a big draw
Thanks! Good advice & I hope others struggling to find DVD versions take it on board & order directly from you guys. FWIW, I always buy Feral's games from Amazon soon after release anyway. At which point, I agree that the prices are usually very fair, generally selling for about 25-26 or less. The linked example is an Amazon seller trying to cash in, not Amazon themselves.

But as you see from that Rome example, availability for the DVD versions, even on globally popular online sites like Amazon, is far from consistent. That doesn't just apply to Feral's games of course, but other Mac games too.

To me, it seems a situation that could be rectified without too much difficulty. It'd also stop some of these Amazon sellers from charging exorbitant prices. Cheers!
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:12 AM   #34
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa View Post
Thanks! Good advice & I hope others struggling to find DVD versions take it on board & order directly from you guys. FWIW, I always buy Feral's games from Amazon soon after release anyway. At which point, I agree that the prices are usually very fair, generally selling for about 25-26 or less. The linked example is an Amazon seller trying to cash in, not Amazon themselves.

But as you see from that Rome example, availability for the DVD versions, even on globally popular online sites like Amazon, is far from consistent. That doesn't just apply to Feral's games of course, but other Mac games too.

To me, it seems a situation that could be rectified without too much difficulty. It'd also stop some of these Amazon sellers from charging exorbitant prices. Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback, it's not as simple as you think but we are always trying to make the experience better for all Feral gamers no matter how they decide to buy the game.

The Feral store is always the best choice of course

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:02 AM   #35
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
Thanks for the feedback, it's not as simple as you think but we are always trying to make the experience better for all Feral gamers no matter how they decide to buy the game.

The Feral store is always the best choice of course

Edwin
You're welcome! I'm sure Feral is the best place for immediate availability of their games, so I hope more people access that direct way in future.

I also hope that after Napoleon:TW, Feral may also port both Shogun 2 & Medieval 2, the latter on your Legends label as with Rome. I won't mind too much waiting for the significantly larger Rome 2 (just released on PC) a little while longer after those two.
gregorsamsa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:57 PM   #36
Rileh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Beta Tester Application

Hey edddeduck,

How can I apply to beta test for Empire: Total War and Rome: Total War updates as well as the Napoleon: Total War Mac port?

Thanks,
Riley
Rileh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 AM   #37
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileh View Post
Hey edddeduck,

How can I apply to beta test for Empire: Total War and Rome: Total War updates as well as the Napoleon: Total War Mac port?

Thanks,
Riley
Send me a PM.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Oudinot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Multiplayer

Will there be multiplayer in the Campaign Mode? If so, will it be other than "hot seat"?

I own Napoleon in the Windows version but quit playing because I had to deal with Windows. I bot Rome and played it for quite awhile and then bot Empire TW and played it but had a problem which I sent to y'all. Game quit after fighting a battle time after time.

The Napoleonic era is my favorite and I can't wait until it is published on the Mac. Don't like or need steam.
Oudinot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:19 AM   #39
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oudinot View Post
Will there be multiplayer in the Campaign Mode? If so, will it be other than "hot seat"?
You will have the same Multiplayer modes as on the PC.
edddeduck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:00 PM   #40
Oudinot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Napoleon TW has moved to the "Very Soon" from "Soon".
Oudinot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 01:26 PM   #41
TedM
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
I want to play rome total war II
__________________
http://www.yourpoetic.com/
TedM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:26 AM   #42
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
As this is the most recent thread for Total War games on Mac, just letting gamers know that "Empire: Total War" has been reduced by 50% on the Mac App Store until 24th April:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/empi...23621533?mt=12
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:22 AM   #43
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorsamsa View Post
As this is the most recent thread for Total War games on Mac, just letting gamers know that "Empire: Total War" has been reduced by 50% on the Mac App Store until 24th April:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/empi...23621533?mt=12
Rome Total War Gold is half price also.

The only concern I have with purchasing Empire: Total Wars on the app store is after reading some of the negative reviews on buying it through the app store. Some reviewers in the app store claimed that Feral told them that the app store has issues downloading files over 10Gb (Total wars is 12Gb). Is this a real issue and has it been addressed ?
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:47 AM   #44
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Rome Total War Gold is half price also.

The only concern I have with purchasing Empire: Total Wars on the app store is after reading some of the negative reviews on buying it through the app store. Some reviewers in the app store claimed that Feral told them that the app store has issues downloading files over 10Gb (Total wars is 12Gb). Is this a real issue and has it been addressed ?
I've had no problems downloading any game from the Mac App Store, including both of Feral's Total War games. So, I would not expect you to have any troubles either.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:30 AM   #45
mrmarts
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
What is the likely quarter this game will be released?
__________________
Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro Retina | Time Capsule 2TB | iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Black | Apple TV 3 Living Room | iMac 27" Late 2013: i7 3.5 GHz, 16GB Ram, 3TB Fusion, 780M, |Ipad Air 128Gb Space Grey
mrmarts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:44 AM   #46
gregorsamsa
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: (Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarts View Post
What is the likely quarter this game will be released?
According to Amazon UK, on the 15th of May, though probably subject to change:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleon-Tot...+total+war+mac
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:50 AM   #47
edddeduck
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Rome Total War Gold is half price also.

The only concern I have with purchasing Empire: Total Wars on the app store is after reading some of the negative reviews on buying it through the app store. Some reviewers in the app store claimed that Feral told them that the app store has issues downloading files over 10Gb (Total wars is 12Gb). Is this a real issue and has it been addressed ?
Sometimes downloading large files from Mac AppStore can produce errors but all you have to do is restart the download to correct it.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:09 PM   #48
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
Sometimes downloading large files from Mac AppStore can produce errors but all you have to do is restart the download to correct it.

Edwin
I've never had any troubles yet but that is good to know for future reference. Thanks.

Thanks too for the time you take to be present here on these forums. I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the way you reach out to Feral customers here as well as your commentary on other Mac gaming related subjects.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:02 PM   #49
DanCorleone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
I want to play rome total war II
Ditto! It is still OUTSTANDING that Napoleon: Total War is coming to the Mac! When I retire, I will retire to gaming.
DanCorleone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:30 AM   #50
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCorleone View Post
Ditto! It is still OUTSTANDING that Napoleon: Total War is coming to the Mac! When I retire, I will retire to gaming.
It's a wonderful life.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Any news of the next Total War for Mac? CochlearArch Mac and PC Games 43 Mar 25, 2014 02:32 PM
OS X: Empire and Napoleon Total War USMC-SOLDJABOY Mac and PC Games 9 Jan 16, 2014 05:00 PM
OS X: Empire total war gold for mac - on MBA without DVD? nph Mac and PC Games 1 Dec 3, 2012 09:42 AM
Total War vs Rome Total War vs Civilization macuser1232 Mac and PC Games 11 Oct 8, 2012 04:30 AM
Total War Games for Mac yanntheman Mac and PC Games 11 Sep 20, 2012 02:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC