Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
I'm very disappointed with this airpor, bought to match everything in my house APPLE (ipad..ATV, MBP...etc). Simply the range of this router is quite inferior from my IPS router that provides my internet.

My house has 3 floors, the IPS router reaches the top floor with no problem, this EXTREME does not pass the second floor...very very poor range!!!

I will return, first product that disappointed me from apple :(:(:(:( . An expensive product

Last edited:

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
It was no more powerful than our ISP router, but it is infinitely easier to configure, extremely easy to extend with airport expresses (which is a much nicer solution than trying to use one router in a large house), you can now update the firmware from your iPad with one click (did that last night on four of them which are connected together) and it works much better for homesharing than many higher spec other brands.

I think it is a great router.

Oh, and it's very reliable; hardware and software.

Enzedder

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Stand it on its edge?

Try standing the Extreme on its side and see if the coverage upstairs improves?
I often mount these on a wall and the range seems to improve at this angle.
YMMV. :)

I'm very disappointed with this airpor, bought to match everything in my house APPLE (ipad..ATV, MBP...etc). Simply the range of this router is quite inferior from my IPS router that provides my internet.

My house has 3 floors, the IPS router reaches the top floor with no problem, this EXTREME does not pass the second floor...very very poor range!!!

I will return, first product that disappointed me from apple :(:(:(:( . An expensive product

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I've never had any issues with the AEBS in my home. The unit is in my finished basement and it easily provides coverage to the 2 floors above that.

They're a dream of dependability compared to most of the wireless devices that I've used over the years.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
Well, before sending back, today ordered a airport EXPRESS, is much more expensive this package (extreme+ express), but we'll see if it gets really good signal..op so!!

see if everything is paired this time and how it should be!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Different countries have different WiFi regulations, so one countries power output isn't necessarily the same as another.

Also 5GHz will have slightly less range than 2.4GHz

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Well, before sending back, today ordered a airport EXPRESS, is much more expensive this package (extreme+ express), but we'll see if it gets really good signal..op so!!

see if everything is paired this time and how it should be!

If you do extend your network wirelessly, you will have to experiment on positioning both the Extreme and Express to get the best result. You have to position the Express at the outer reach of the Extreme but where it can still get a good strong signal from the Extreme, then it will extend that signal further.

Ideally,if you can run an ethernet cable between the two you will get no loss of performance with the the Express.

Here are the two guides :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Is it at least a second generation AEBS with wireless N and is it enabled?

I have an AEBS only got it last year. How would I "Enable" this feature?

I live in a flat and my iPad buffers all the time when using home sharing and i'm wondering if there is something wrong.

I have 51mb connection.

Thanks for the advice.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have an AEBS only got it last year. How would I "Enable" this feature?

I live in a flat and my iPad buffers all the time when using home sharing and i'm wondering if there is something wrong.

I have 51mb connection.

Thanks for the advice.

Using AirPort Utility 5.6, browse to the Wireless section and ensure the Radio Mode is selected with what you want, likely automatic mode.

Here are the options:

5Ghz a/n + 2.4Ghz b/g/n (automatic mode)
5Ghz a/n + 2.4Ghz b/g
5Ghz a + 2.4Ghz b/g

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
Recently I noticed a noise electronic type tsss tsss when we use the net. Is it normal?

In the extreme.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
Thanks sandbox, tomorrow I'll call the Apple store here in Portugal and how I'm still within the 15 days exchange, I'll ask to send me another. So this is not typical noise

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks sandbox, tomorrow I'll call the Apple store here in Portugal and how I'm still within the 15 days exchange, I'll ask to send me another. So this is not typical noise

It is normal.

I have 2. They both do it but not all the time.

I have never noticed the Express doing it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It is normal.

I have 2. They both do it but not all the time.

I have never noticed the Express doing it.

I don't consider it normal. Normal to me would be that it makes the noise by design; it being intended to produce it. I have an AEBS and it doesn't do this. Additionally, with Apple's knack for trying to make their products as quiet as possible, this would seem counter-productive to one of their goals.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
OK but I have heard plenty of others doing it and mine have operated perfectly since they came out while making the sound.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
already reached the new. seems also makes the same noise .... maybe a little less .. but it does. apparently is not defective but temper.

what a shame! But I'll stay with him, since I have 2 more express

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.