Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amsquires83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
UK
Basically, I'm considering getting a new Mac Mini Server as a first server for my small organisation, but I would like another member of staff to be able to use the computer for standard Mountain Lion activities. They would have a non-Administrator account.

Will Standard users logged in to the Mac Mini be able to open and edit the Server.app settings? I dont want them to be able to break/change things...

I'm hoping that the Server.app is locked down to Admin users.

Thanks in advance.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
It *should* be locked down, however I don't advise using OS X Server double-duty like that. It can cause unforeseen issues and security holes.

amsquires83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
UK
Thanks for the replies guys. I realise that ideally the server should be used just for that purpose, but budgetary constraints have lead me to consider doubling it up as an additional workstation.

The server will mainly function as a File Server, Central Contacts & Calendar hosting, user account management and Time Machine backups.

I'll feedback the concerns to the decision makers and see what they say.

Thanks again.
Adam

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
there is no benefit to the centralization you are planning out if a user can screw it up by crashing the server with normal computer usage

why not look at the cloud for contact and calendar sharing.

you can get a time capsule for the backups

are you going to be running open directory to manage a domain?

if you don't wan't them to break things, you can't let them access the server

assembled

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
London
using a server as a workstation is a recipe for disaster, however as a consultant it gets me paid work fixing the problems that are caused by it, so please, do go ahead with your plan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.