Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
So this article is to debunk these rumours? I guess I can live with that.

Slow Monday..

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
read the ********** article

----------

Ah yes, would be a waste of space for an SSD in the iphone. Very astute.

I read it prior posting and a guy in the article says that it is fake. I just concurred with that guy.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Why not? It would provide iOS with a lot of storage for a low cost and make it easier to transfer files to the device.

What negative aspect is there of a SD card slot?

That's crazy talk. If we could add cheap storage to our iPhones, how could apple overcharge us for larger SSDs?

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I refuse to believe Apple will release a device with such a small digital display, and an extending measuring rod, as their next iteration of the iPhone.

I think you missed the point.

The new iPhone is a magical 0.00 mm in height. :D

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
No, I understand. The question was "why would you want an SD slot on your phone," and the obvious answer to that is "more storage space."

It had nothing to do with the phone being thicker due to the reader or the mechanism or whatever.

I'd phrase that "different" or "removable" storage space. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about committing my primary storage to a small, removable device that's dependent on a mechanical connection, any more than I was enthusiastic about computers with dual floppy drives (running applications direct from floppy to RAM). Anyone who's had to re-seat a SIM card as part of the troubleshooting process should know what I mean. If a bad connection lead to a failure to write/save data or apps.... ouch!

It's always a matter of preference, but if it's just about file transfer options, I'd put SD cards in the "sneaker net" category. WiFi, iCloud, USB, email attachments... How many users would benefit from adding another transfer method vs. how many would benefit from some other feature that consumes the same costs or space?

Yeah, a pro/serious amateur photographer can always make a case for extensible storage when off the grid. While I wouldn't say it's silly for an iPhone user to need that capability, it's not exactly a mainstream need.

It would be nice if there was an accessory that allowed transfer to an external writer - those who want it can pay for it. $30 or thereabouts isn't going to break the bank. But Apple's always been wary of a transfer method that can enable easy transfer of copyrighted materials, so I'm not holding my breath.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Might be a prototype that Apple's testing for one reason or another, but I doubt this is a 5S. A smaller battery and no Lightning port? There's no way Apple is abandoning Lightning after one year. If prior stories about the Lightning connector are true, Apple's nowhere close to using that connector to its full potential yet.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
An SD card slot...

If only!

If Apple doesn't start adding this, I not be getting an iPhone anymore, they charge too much for the 32 and 64GB models and it costs them pennies to add the storage.

I love the iPhone but I am so tired of spending $300 for 32 GB and fighting to keep archiving music and photos if I had an ad slot I could use a couple of large micro ad cards.

Samsung G4 here I come

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
I'd phrase that "different" or "removable" storage space. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about committing my primary storage to a small, removable device that's dependent on a mechanical connection, any more than I was enthusiastic about computers with dual floppy drives (running applications direct from floppy to RAM). Anyone who's had to re-seat a SIM card as part of the troubleshooting process should know what I mean. If a bad connection lead to a failure to write/save data or apps.... ouch!

It's always a matter of preference, but if it's just about file transfer options, I'd put SD cards in the "sneaker net" category. WiFi, iCloud, USB, email attachments... How many users would benefit from adding another transfer method vs. how many would benefit from some other feature that consumes the same costs or space?

Yeah, a pro/serious amateur photographer can always make a case for extensible storage when off the grid. While I wouldn't say it's silly for an iPhone user to need that capability, it's not exactly a mainstream need.

It would be nice if there was an accessory that allowed transfer to an external writer - those who want it can pay for it. $30 or thereabouts isn't going to break the bank. But Apple's always been wary of a transfer method that can enable easy transfer of copyrighted materials, so I'm not holding my breath.

A SD slot wouldn't be the primary storage though...the phone's internal flash memory would be. The SD slot would facilitate storage of additional content. And extensible storage for a regular iPhone user would be great (and I think it actually is a maintstream need...since saving money is a common requirement amongst consumers). Paying $199 for a 16GB iPhone, and then another $30 to increase my storage capacity so I can consume my music, photos, videos sure beats paying $299 for a 32GB iPhone.

Also, I've had SD cards for my Blackberry and Treo prior to getting an iPhone and I've never had issues with the mechanical connection. Access to the SD card was always flawless and I don't think my experience was an outlier.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
If Apple doesn't start adding this, I not be getting an iPhone anymore, they charge too much for the 32 and 64GB models and it costs them pennies to add the storage.

I love the iPhone but I am so tired of spending $300 for 32 GB and fighting to keep archiving music and photos if I had an ad slot I could use a couple of large micro ad cards.

Samsung G4 here I come

I guess I wasn't following rumors lately. I didn't know that Samsung would include the G4 processor in it's next phone :D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
That thing has nasty looking internals.

Wonder if it'll run android or the crappy java based OS that asian counterfeit companies seem to love so much.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Why not? It would provide iOS with a lot of storage for a low cost and make it easier to transfer files to the device.

What negative aspect is there of a SD card slot?

Assuming Apple devises a way to remedy multiple volumes showing up like on an Android device, external storage is slower and much easier to corrupt and also takes up valuable space for other internals. If you take out the external storage or it gets damaged or is removed, data will be fragmented. Also you have another fiddly port on the phone for the card since Apple sure won't give people removeable back covers.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

This already exists: The Digital Camera Connection Kit includes adaptors for reading/writing to SD cards and USB devices. And it's $30! (Only for 30-pin dock connectors, it looks like. No Lightning version yet.)

Apple would only need to implement OS support for file systems other than those in DCIM format. And support for iPhones too, not just the iPad. Not too likely, but one can dream...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.