Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1
davewill2010
macrumors member

SSD in a MacBook G4?

Hi Guys,

is it possible to replace the harddrive in a MacBook G4 with an SSD?
davewill2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewill2010 View Post
Hi Guys,

is it possible to replace the harddrive in a MacBook G4 with an SSD?
There are no "macbook G4's" you are probably talking about an ibook. For an ibook you will need a PATA/IDE ssd or a SATA ssd with a very small SATA to IDE cable to connect to the mobo. A converter may not fit and will offer zero performance difference so a PATA/IDE sad is the best.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
There are no "macbook G4's" you are probably talking about an ibook. For an ibook you will need a PATA/IDE ssd or a SATA ssd with a very small SATA to IDE cable to connect to the mobo. A converter may not fit and will offer zero performance difference so a PATA/IDE sad is the best.
visit www.macsales.com for their SSD options as well as other storage solutions!

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
visit www.macsales.com for their SSD options as well as other storage solutions!
I wouldn't buy anything from OWC unless they are the only big manufacturer in the market, such as their blade-style SSDs.

It's WAY overpriced for just about everything. Once upon a time, you needed to get Mac-compatible RAM, etc. Nowadays, there is no reason to pay a premium for the same/lesser quality when you can get it cheaper from Amazon or Newegg.

And definitely don't buy a PATA SSD from them. You don't have many choices, but the cheapo Kingspec I got from eBay is working great, and you don't have to pay through the nose for it.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from OWC unless they are the only big manufacturer in the market, such as their blade-style SSDs.

It's WAY overpriced for just about everything. Once upon a time, you needed to get Mac-compatible RAM, etc. Nowadays, there is no reason to pay a premium for the same/lesser quality when you can get it cheaper from Amazon or Newegg.

And definitely don't buy a PATA SSD from them. You don't have many choices, but the cheapo Kingspec I got from eBay is working great, and you don't have to pay through the nose for it.
I thought the benefit of the OWC SSDs is that the TRIM support was handled by the controller. Is that the same with your SSD or did you enable TRIM in your machine?

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #6
zackkmac
macrumors 6502a

IIRC, any SSD that uses a Sandforce controller has the integrated TRIM support.
17" iMac G4 1.25GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
zackkmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #7
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I thought the benefit of the OWC SSDs is that the TRIM support was handled by the controller. Is that the same with your SSD or did you enable TRIM in your machine?
This is also marketing and misinformation. If you looked at their site, where they say that, it isn't something from OWC itself, but an arbitrary blog post from 2010.

TRIM is a just a command. What they mean to say is their Sandforce-based controllers have some sort of garbage collection... but every modern SSD has good garbage collection algorithms, and I personally think Samsung's are far superior without being as aggressive as the Sandforce. In either case, I strongly recommend enabling TRIM regardless of the onboard algorithms or controller.

I've pretty much used every SSD from every manufacturer since the original Vertex and G.Skill Phoenix Pros. There is no advantage to paying extra for OWC-branded 2.5" drives, especially when they are just a commodity seller using off-the-shelf components (likely Samsung NAND and the Sandforce controller). Of course, if you need special form factors, they're your only option.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs