Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

Long time to wake up MacBook Pro after over night sleep

I just bought my first MacBook Pro (13 inch low end) and I think itīs great.

There is only one problem. After having set the Mac to sleep over night (by closing the lid) it takes over a minute in the morning before I can enter the PIN and use the Mac. Is that normal?

There is no problem leaving it for sleep for a couple of hours, then I can enter the PIN instantly when opening the lid.

Should/can I make some adjustments to any of the settings to solve this?

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

Good evening!

/Klingsta from Stockholm/Sweden
Klingsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #2
jjhoekstra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingsta View Post
I just bought my first MacBook Pro (13 inch low end) and I think itīs great.

There is only one problem. After having set the Mac to sleep over night (by closing the lid) it takes over a minute in the morning before I can enter the PIN and use the Mac. Is that normal?

There is no problem leaving it for sleep for a couple of hours, then I can enter the PIN instantly when opening the lid.

Should/can I make some adjustments to any of the settings to solve this?

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

Good evening!

/Klingsta from Stockholm/Sweden
It looks like you have a normal HDD and lots of memory. To wake up from deep sleep all of the RAM as it was before going to sleep has to be re-filled from the HDD. On a SSD this is almost instantaneous unless you have 16 Gb, on a HDD it might take a while.
If you have SSD than there is some other problem and you should do all the normal things to solve problems, like re-install etc. If that does not help go see your dealer.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
swerve147
macrumors 6502a

Found this with a quick Google search:

http://www.ewal.net/2012/09/09/slow-...ok-pro-retina/

Yeah it's specifically mentions the rMBP but it looks like the Terminal command would work for any MacBook. Haven't tried it myself though.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
robvas
macrumors 68000

I have mixed feelings about sleep to disk. Sure, it really saves battery life but if I'm not going to turn my computer back on for 24+ hours I might as well shut it off all the way.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve147 View Post
Found this with a quick Google search:

http://www.ewal.net/2012/09/09/slow-...ok-pro-retina/

Yeah it's specifically mentions the rMBP but it looks like the Terminal command would work for any MacBook. Haven't tried it myself though.
Thanks, I think this could solve my problem (and yes I have a 500 GB normal HDD).But, how do I run the mentioned command from a terminal window? I have no idea, is it difficult? Sorry for stupid question.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks, I think this could solve my problem (and yes I have a 500 GB normal HDD).But, how do I run the mentioned command from a terminal window? I have no idea, is it difficult? Sorry for stupid question.
Go up to Spotlight (upper left corner of your screen, looks like a magnifying glass) and type in 'Terminall' then hit enter.

Or go to the Dock or Finder and click on 'Applications' and then Utilities, it's in there.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Go up to Spotlight (upper left corner of your screen, looks like a magnifying glass) and type in 'Terminall' then hit enter.

Or go to the Dock or Finder and click on 'Applications' and then Utilities, it's in there.
Thanks, I found it. But is it safe? I got this warning message when i typed "sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400"

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

And what password is it? The one I use to log in with and when I want to download programs etc?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8
chriscl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks, I found it. But is it safe? I got this warning message when i typed "sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400"

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

And what password is it? The one I use to log in with and when I want to download programs etc?
That's a normal "are you sure" message, and nothing to worry about.

And yes, it's your normal password - the one you set up when you first used the Mac, and the same one you have to put in, when asked, to run an application (such as an updater) that requires elevated rights.

All that terminal command does is extend the timeout period before the "deep" sleep kicks in. It's perfectly safe to use.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

Ok, Iīll try it later today and will let you know if it works. Thanks all for being so helful!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #10
robvas
macrumors 68000

You can also disable it by running

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the commando sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400 didnīt work for me. It still takes over a minute (!) before I can enter the password in the morning.

Maybe I did something wrong? I just pasted sudo pmset -a standbydelay 86400 into the commander and pressed enter. Then I entered the password. Is that the wright way to do it?

Tonight I will try the other tip: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Klingsta
macrumors newbie

The sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 command didnīt work either. Any more suggestion before I go and see my local Apple Store? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:37 PM   #13
xAgustinx
macrumors regular

This is not a problem, is a change to how the system previously behaved, and it's only started happening since "Update 2.0" was installed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1486552

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro