Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:21 PM   #176
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

Smart watch might not be a big hit or even get to market, but developing one is presumably a useful way to get to grips with and play around with wearable device concepts and usage cases. Wearable smart devices (be it watches, vests, spectacles, shoes, whatever) are so obviously going to be a big deal that it would be silly not to explore now. Question is, will they be limited to health care applications such as monitoring physiology and movement, or will they have wider consumer appeal. I suppose the later is what Apple would explore.
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:29 PM   #177
idunn
macrumors regular

2013 as 1984

"Using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude greater than ever before attempted for a wide-area map at a cost several orders of magnitude less than Flyover."
— per Macrumors

There are also other possible functions. This from Raytheon, the fifth largest defense contractor in the world:

"Using Riot it is possible to gain an entire snapshot of a person's life – their friends, the places they visit charted on a map – in little more than a few clicks of a button . . .

In December, Riot was featured in a newly published patent Raytheon is pursuing for a system designed to gather data on people from social networks, blogs and other sources to identify whether they should be judged a security risk."
[1]

1) 'Software that tracks people on social media created by defense firm,' The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...-media-defence
idunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:42 PM   #178
Unwired4
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleo77 View Post
I'm surprised how many posters here can't get past the concept of the old time wrist watch here. Apple is not pouring millions into developing a device to help you keep time. The next 10 years will be about the connectivity of things, your home systems (thermostat, security, lighting, appliances), your media (television, speakers etc.), your car, paying for things, and a lot more.
Hear hear.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:02 PM   #179
Stately
macrumors 6502a

I think an iwatch would be an awesome idea, I just hope it doesn't look like that. When I think of the iwatch, I think of the Sony watch . .

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...la&cagpspn=pla
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:40 PM   #180
Deleo77
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stately View Post
I think an iwatch would be an awesome idea, I just hope it doesn't look like that. When I think of the iwatch, I think of the Sony watch . .

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...la&cagpspn=pla
That is why it will be curved glass, and probably Apple's first oled product. The display will be a band that goes around your wrist. It won't be a big faced watch like the Pebble. Willow Glass from Corning is what makes it able to be curved, plus Apple's own work in this area. The band will have an edge to edge display 3/4 of the way around, the remaining part will have a microphone and speaker for Siri.
Deleo77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:27 AM   #181
AlexisV
macrumors 65816

The biggest problem is thickness IMO.

I hate thick watches and I bought this Skagen simply because of its amazing thinness:

AlexisV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:12 AM   #182
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

There's actually a lot of people that wear watches. Myself being one of them. Almost everyone at my job wears one and even at least half the class I attended last semester did too.

It's just like those with regular and smart phones. There's still a lot of people that say 'I don't need a smart phone.'

I usually wear the watch when I go out to a social event or something that requires me to attend in semi or formal attire. I wouldn't be caught wearing my Movado to run errands or gym.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:13 AM   #183
jpadhiyar
macrumors member

Everyone just wants to jump on the bandwagon but here's the idea... may be Apple isn't after an iWatch after all.. it's after a device aimed at folks doing the gym routine? Or athletes may be? Niche market, small set of features implemented correctly and may be some amazing feature that just turns the whole thing over!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:08 AM   #184
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
it depends on what the watch "can do"
* can it store a playlist of songs to play over bluetooth?
* can it track GPS for runners?
* can it sync with an iPhone to show who's calling and other information
* could it sync with an iphone to act as a remote control (music/movies/etc)
* could it connect to "find my iphone"
* any number of things
* could it be a component of a device to compete with Google's Glass project
* Will it look sleek and great, not just like a cheap electronic watch

If there's a company that can take a device that people don't think they need much of any more, and remake it into something everyone "needs" , that company is Apple. I'd be excited to see what they come up with as long as it has more thought put in it than the HiFi thing, or Ping, etc...
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 AM   #185
Stately
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleo77 View Post
That is why it will be curved glass, and probably Apple's first oled product. The display will be a band that goes around your wrist. It won't be a big faced watch like the Pebble. Willow Glass from Corning is what makes it able to be curved, plus Apple's own work in this area. The band will have an edge to edge display 3/4 of the way around, the remaining part will have a microphone and speaker for Siri.
Yeah I'm thinkin' it will be their first oled product too, but if not and it's something like that pic, than I definitely wouldn't buy.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #186
cocky jeremy
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to cocky jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to cocky jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Everyone says the dont want or don't need one, but how many of these people said the same thing when the iPhone and/or iPad came out?
I definitely didn't say that with the iPhone, i did say it with the iPad, and i'm definitely saying it about a watch. I ended up buying an iPad.. but only for my family. I still don't really see a purpose in having a bigger iPhone. A watch? Haven't worn one, ever, really. No chance i'd buy a watch by Apple or anyone else.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:38 AM   #187
DaveLG526
macrumors newbie

Who will get first picture of iWatch in bar?

What bar will have the honor of being where the first image captured of an iWatch prototype?
DaveLG526 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:18 PM   #188
Bahroo
macrumors 65816

if you can buy this iWatch at a reasonable price, and it is executed well. i think it can be a great product,
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #189
NT1440
macrumors G3

Heart rate monitoring
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:11 PM   #190
Dammit Cubs
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
I am just reiterating what several people here have already said, but don't some of you actually READ the source article for Macrumors' posts? If I wish to comment on one of Macrumors News and Article discussions I always read the source article. I am funny like that, I try to be reasonable acquainted.

Let me make it easy for you - http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

Apple must ensure, however, that, if you remove the watch, you must reestablish authenticity. (Reauthorizing would be an excellent place for biometrics.) Otherwise, we’ll have a spate of violent “watchjackings” replacing the non-violent iPhone-grabs going on today.

Individuals or companies that demand a higher level of security can require both the presence of the watch and a passcode, aka, two-factor authentication. Even that could be made a lot less onerous, again optionally, if, when at work or within your own house, the security software would be allowed to lift the requirement for the separate passcode, only applying it when you are out and about.
As a matter of fact. no I don't read the whole article. I have a job to do. I just skim.

But thanks for your input. We all have roles in life, and i guess your role was to explain this issue.
2012 15'' Macbook Pro 2.3/8/256 SSD with Retina
Dammit Cubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #191
DVNIEL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker_coday View Post
So. You are trying to tell us what is and isn't a smart investment, then you tell us about the $8k you spent on a watch? Assuming the watch tells time then that makes it worth $100, so you spent $7900 on bragging rights.

Judging by that, if an iWatch only performed THREE OR FOUR functions well, then it would be worth mote than 3 or 4 hundred.

And if we are bragging, I inherited an ~$11,000 Breitling from my grandfather. But I'd never buy one with my own money.
No I'm trying to state that people who think tacking on technology onto a basic accessory to life makes it better need to get over it. In all honesty, we all have a small intent of bragging when we get a new device. It's the same reason you would buy a 3-bedroom in the suburbs over buying a 3-bedroom home in the ghetto, you buy that sense of pride or appealing factor.

Your 2013 Ford might have Park Assist, Wi-Fi, Concierge, Touchscreen displays, SSD radio and all the whistles.... but I think I'll still stick to my simple BMW M3 over that anyday.

I'm not playing the bragging game, but having more features doesn't always make it better.
DVNIEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #192
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
An alarm that sounds when your watch and phone are separated (such as when one is dropped, or stolen) would be handy.

As mentioned above, the problem is the number of styles. Apple would really need to open it up to 3rd party cases.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion