Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
I'm looking to pick up a couple of 2012 minis with fusion drives. I'd like to buy through the refurb store as I'm fond of the savings. I see that according to refurb.me that there have been some 2012 minis in stock as refurbs, but I see no indication of fusion drives being available.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy computers with fusion drives through the refurb store or are willing to hazard a guess?

Thanks.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I think the refurbs are typically just stock hardware. Since the fusion drive is an upgrade, it's unlikely to show up there. If someone returns a mini with a fusion drive, it could show up there, I have even heard that some have purchased macbooks that have more than the advertised memory they were stated to have. I'd say the odds are not in your favor, bit that's just my opinion.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Yeah, I guess fusion is just BTO (build to order), though I was rather hoping that wouldn't be the case and they would be available.

Only once have I lucked out and that was my most recent purchase for work of a 2011 iMac. It came with a 2GB video card. We won the lottery on that one.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, I guess fusion is just BTO (build to order), though I was rather hoping that wouldn't be the case and they would be available.

Only once have I lucked out and that was my most recent purchase for work of a 2011 iMac. It came with a 2GB video card. We won the lottery on that one.

It's always possible, but generally speaking the refurbs are just basic stock. Philipma buys tons of refurbs and I believe he's only had a handful that came with more than what he ordered and most of those were just extra memory. That's not to say you couldn't get a fusion drive, but I certainly wouldn't order a refurb expecting to get a fusion drive.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
The minis would be for work and they wouldn't smile on that approach fully, but I hear ya.

I see that the 2012 iMacs are showing up in the refurb store. refurb.me shows they had one with a fusion drive yesterday. So it may happen yet.

demosthenes80

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
The last year or so Apple has stocked upgraded versions of all their models (3.4Ghz 2011 iMac, 2.5Ghz 17" MBP, etc). So it's very likely you'll see a mini with Fusion in it in the near future.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Just an update. As of 2 days ago, Apple is stocking a refurbed mini w/ a fusion drive.

Specs:
Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Originally released October 2012
4GB memory

1TB Fusion Drive

Price: $889
Savings of $160 or about 15%.

link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.