Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacktoner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Prston
Hello,
i am at university and in 1st year so if i was to buy the Airport express, i would be getting 3 years out of it at least! At uni they only offer wired ethernet cable however, i am using my macbook pro as a router for my other apple products (ipod touch, iPhone 4s and iPad) and i wondered wethere the airport express would be much faster and easier?

also i would appreciate it if people said what you actually use the airport express for because although apple enlists all its uses, i wondered which are actually useful etc.

also, how easy is it to set up wireless printing as i would use the wireless priting to print my pages notes from iPad. also is the internet speed any faster or cover a wider area than the macbook pro.

WOuld anyone recommend this product to me?

many thanks in advance!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::apple:

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I used my MBP for internet sharing for a long time. Eventually I bought a Time Capsule. The only difference I really noticed was with convenience if I had taken my MBP to the office or been on a trip. I needed to set-up the MBP on my desk, before I could connect other devices to the internet, rather than just walking into my apartment, flopping on the couch and start surfing.

If you don't move the MBP much, are not experiencing speed issues, I would say save your money.

Airport express (also Airport Extreme, and Time capsule) is very easy to set-up. Usefulness of the various features is really dependant upon what features you need. Wireless printing is easy to set-up. I currently use wireless printing, I have changed the DNS server away from the default used by my ISP, and I have also assigned specific DHCP addresses for various devices using MAC addresses to reserve the DHCP address. If you are using your college ethernet to access the internet, there may be some things you cannot do, or that may cause conflicts, so the Airport Express may have to be used in bridge mode.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hello,
i am at university and in 1st year so if i was to buy the Airport express, i would be getting 3 years out of it at least! At uni they only offer wired ethernet cable however, i am using my macbook pro as a router for my other apple products (ipod touch, iPhone 4s and iPad) and i wondered wethere the airport express would be much faster and easier?

also i would appreciate it if people said what you actually use the airport express for because although apple enlists all its uses, i wondered which are actually useful etc.

also, how easy is it to set up wireless printing as i would use the wireless priting to print my pages notes from iPad. also is the internet speed any faster or cover a wider area than the macbook pro.

WOuld anyone recommend this product to me?

many thanks in advance!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::apple:
It's very easy to setup, you will love it. You can always take it back if it's not right for u. Radio shack and bestbuy sells them also

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Airport...dead

I have one...want it? After the complicated programming process plugged into the AC in my home office, you unplug bring to the site where it will it be used and none of the settings hold and it flashes yellow. Spoke to AppleCare and after a long time on the phone they were unable to help me but suggested the non-replaceable battery was probably at fault.
To make a battery with limited life, unreplaceable is poor design judgement at best.

pepe77

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Stupid question- did you create a new profile when you moved the AE to your new location in the office(?)

I have one...want it? After the complicated programming process plugged into the AC in my home office, you unplug bring to the site where it will it be used and none of the settings hold and it flashes yellow. Spoke to AppleCare and after a long time on the phone they were unable to help me but suggested the non-replaceable battery was probably at fault.
To make a battery with limited life, unreplaceable is poor design judgement at best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.