Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #76
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytallant View Post
I refuse to believe Apple will release a device with such a small digital display, and an extending measuring rod, as their next iteration of the iPhone.
It's called a digital caliper. But I'm sure Apple will say they re-invented it and call it iCaliper. It's revolutionary! Changes the way we measure sheet metal thickness
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:48 PM   #77
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Goophone i5S? That yellow battery is the definition of innovation.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:56 PM   #78
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextBigThing View Post
Your username suggests me that you're a Filipino.
Pinoy din ako.
Lol! Same here! "Small world" isn't it? Kamusta ka?
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:02 PM   #79
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
"This is not an iPhone vibrator..."

Does anyone here have a picture of a real iPhone vibrator? Something to compare to this picture of the fake phone to?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #80
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
"this is not an iphone vibrator..."

does anyone here have a picture of a real iphone vibrator? Something to compare to this picture of the fake phone to?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	396135
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:43 PM   #81
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorEaster View Post
A SD slot wouldn't be the primary storage though...the phone's internal flash memory would be. The SD slot would facilitate storage of additional content. And extensible storage for a regular iPhone user would be great (and I think it actually is a maintstream need...since saving money is a common requirement amongst consumers). Paying $199 for a 16GB iPhone, and then another $30 to increase my storage capacity so I can consume my music, photos, videos sure beats paying $299 for a 32GB iPhone.

Also, I've had SD cards for my Blackberry and Treo prior to getting an iPhone and I've never had issues with the mechanical connection. Access to the SD card was always flawless and I don't think my experience was an outlier.
If you add an SD card slot to the phone then you add the requirement that the OS has to manage storage across multiple volumes. That's stupidly complicated for 95% of users and against Apple's philosophy. iOS takes great step to avoid even exposing the file system. It will never happen.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:51 PM   #82
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyAko View Post
SD card slot? What is going to happen to iCloud then for storage.
Storage extension & backup.

----------

Quote:
That was a BIG one!!
Thats's what she said!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:08 PM   #83
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
I dont see the problem here. We know the 5s, 6 and 6s will all be identical minus a processor.

What did my comment have to do about that?

I was making a joke about samsung...
I didn't even say anything about an iPhone, let alone a 5/5s/6/6s???

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
If you add an SD card slot to the phone then you add the requirement that the OS has to manage storage across multiple volumes. That's stupidly complicated for 95% of users and against Apple's philosophy. iOS takes great step to avoid even exposing the file system. It will never happen.
Actually, they could do something like fusion drive - in that a filesystem can span multiple volumes without the user noticing.

They would NEVER do that, though, because Apple relies on the margins from the higher-end iPhones to keep the profits as high as they do. IE - a 16GB iphone might (I'm making this number up) cost 450 bucks to build, and they sell it for 650, but a 64gb iPhone only costs 500 to built, at most - and they sell it for 850. Much higher profit margins, amirite?
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:12 PM   #84
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post

What did my comment have to do about that?

I was making a joke about samsung...
I didn't even say anything about an iPhone, let alone a 5/5s/6/6s???

----------

Actually, they could do something like fusion drive - in that a filesystem can span multiple volumes without the user noticing.

They would NEVER do that, though, because Apple relies on the margins from the higher-end iPhones to keep the profits as high as they do. IE - a 16GB iphone might (I'm making this number up) cost 450 bucks to build, and they sell it for 650, but a 64gb iPhone only costs 500 to built, at most - and they sell it for 850. Much higher profit margins, amirite?
A fusion drive like solution would present a problem though: the phone would likely stop working if the SD card were removed. Or even in the best case, since the user isn't managing what's on the card, it'd be a mystery what would happen when the card is removed. But I agree, Apple also wouldn't do this because they'd prefer to sell you a new phone.
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:19 PM   #85
spacerays
macrumors newbie

Why is this **** even covered here MR?!
spacerays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:41 PM   #86
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
This already exists: The Digital Camera Connection Kit includes adaptors for reading/writing to SD cards and USB devices. And it's $30! (Only for 30-pin dock connectors, it looks like. No Lightning version yet.)

Apple would only need to implement OS support for file systems other than those in DCIM format. And support for iPhones too, not just the iPad. Not too likely, but one can dream...
The Camera Connection Kit's SD adapter is a read-only device. There is a Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader, just not the complete Camera Connection Kit with USB adapter.

As far as I'm concerned, all Apple really needs to do is add a write-enabled SD card adapter as a "share" option (any file that can be shared to email, Twitter, etc. should be OK to share to an SD R/W). At least, that's all I think they'd ever be likely to do. They're alway going to be hinky about something that could turn iOS devices into music file-sharing machines (either import or export).

I think they introduced the camera connection kit on the reasonable premise that photographers would like to edit and display their work on the big iPad screen, and promoting such use would make the device more desirable. Since the original iPad had no camera, it needed to speak to a camera in a manner more elegant than, "Sync camera to computer, sync iPad to computer" (I know that's why I got my connection kit way back when).

Why isn't this supported for iPhone/iPod Touch? You could just as easily ask, "Why isn't the Stocks app included in iOS for iPad?" Apple has its vision for how it expects (and wants) each of its devices to be used. But, with iPhoto available for the smaller screens, they don't exactly have a consistent case for "iPhone owners don't need that."
ApfelKuchen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #87
Jeve Stobs
macrumors newbie

but what if...

maybe it's the new cheap version?
Jeve Stobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:17 PM   #88
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Wasn't Apple making a cheaper iPhone? How can you scream FAKE when you see this?

No onboard memory or just enough for iOS. You have to install your own Micro SD card.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #89
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
we aint that hungry for a rumour
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:11 PM   #90
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Your joking right?!

Why would you want an SD card slot?
Cheap, expandable storage instead of price-gouged, fixed storage.

----------

Why are there so many Chinese copy companies? There was a Top Gear review of some Chinese cars, and they showed a lot of the copies (BMW X5 ripoff, Fiat Panda ripoff, and a lot of others).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
In other words, a Samsung?

*Grabs tomato shielding device*
Nah, this would only be valid for Samsung tablets. Samsung's iPhone spoofs don't look THAT much like the real thing.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #91
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Good luck with that.
Hey listen I am all up for the iPhone but it is not the only good phone in town anymore, and to be honest Apple has not really changed much. Samsung is making great strides, and I have had the GSIII and Note II to test, they are both excellent phones and o be honest I am not planning on getting the 5S but if the 6 is not ground breaking, I will be done with the iPhone in general for a while or until they are the best game in town once again if ever.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:26 PM   #92
gadget123
macrumors 65816

SD card lol?

Fake.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:00 PM   #93
iZac
macrumors 65816

Looking at this turd on the inside (and outside) should remind us all about what fantastic engineers and industrial designers Apple have, and part of the reason we all love their products so much.

I mean look at those components, it looks like a cheap clock radio from the 1990s!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 PM   #94
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member

Quote:
Lol! Same here! "Small world" isn't it? Kamusta ka?
3+ years na ako regular na nagvivisit dito Macrumors, ngayon lang ako nakakita ng Pinoy dito.
Hehehe.
Indeed, what a small world.
Taga-saan ka dito sa Philippines?
I'm glad to meet you.
TheNextBigThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:26 PM   #95
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApfelKuchen View Post
The Camera Connection Kit's SD adapter is a read-only device.
Are you sure it's not physically capable of writes? I thought I remembered that when you import photos from the memory card, you have the option to delete them off the card once they've been imported.

Regardless, I think we agree that it's not the actual technical ability that's stopping them here, it's clearly Apple's desire to "mold" users to fit their vision of how things ought to be done.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:48 PM   #96
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Hey listen I am all up for the iPhone but it is not the only good phone in town anymore, and to be honest Apple has not really changed much. Samsung is making great strides, and I have had the GSIII and Note II to test, they are both excellent phones and o be honest I am not planning on getting the 5S but if the 6 is not ground breaking, I will be done with the iPhone in general for a while or until they are the best game in town once again if ever.
Everyone's saying Apple is slowing, go ahead and buy the GS4 when it is released and see for yourself. The OS is not as polished, popovers and menus fly everywhere, the Back button takes you to places you don't intend to go to, and so on. Then maybe you will decide which OS is better.

Samsung has successfully garnered attention by painting Apple as the old and stagnant, and you seem to agree with that.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:30 AM   #97
BvizioN
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust76 View Post
More storage space on your phone?
Myth! Now i know that there is many that would find it useful! But so many others would not even care or would not even notice it's there. Like most of my friends using Android Phones with memory card slot, they never bothered to buy a card for it. They say internal memory is good enough for what they have/need to store.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:09 AM   #98
dreadnort
macrumors member

Well they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:19 AM   #99
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnort View Post
Well they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery
AlbertEinstein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 AM   #100
nzalog
macrumors regular

Yeah this rumor is as valid as the Apple iWatch with curved glass... actually this rumor is at least based on more substance.
nzalog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion