Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minijtp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
hi guys im trying to unlock my iphone 5 att and use it on tmobiles 4g monthly plan. I looked on google and it seems that every website requires me to pay. Is there a (free) tutorial that will help me my iphone.

PS-I am willing to pay for a unlock, but i have no idea what unlocking website is legit and save

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
hi guys im trying to unlock my iphone 5 att and use it on tmobiles 4g monthly plan. I looked on google and it seems that every website requires me to pay. Is there a (free) tutorial that will help me my iphone.

PS-I am willing to pay for a unlock, but i have no idea what unlocking website is legit and save
Call AT&T. If your contract is paid in full and your account (or former account) in good standing, they will unlock it for you.

Akuadenia

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Dummys asking

Call AT&T. If your contract is paid in full and your account (or former account) in good standing, they will unlock it for you.

I have same situation here, my uncle will give his iphone to me. Its 2years at&t contract. He bought it at us apple store. And im living in indonesia. If i unlock it, how is the billing procedure? At&t will automatically stop the bill or will still auto debit my uncle's credit card until 2years to fulfill the contract? Sorry for the dumb question:confused:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I have same situation here, my uncle will give his iphone to me. Its 2years at&t contract. He bought it at us apple store. And im living in indonesia. If i unlock it, how is the billing procedure? At&t will automatically stop the bill or will still auto debit my uncle's credit card until 2years to fulfill the contract? Sorry for the dumb question:confused:

Your uncle can call AT&T and close the account. His credit card will be charged an Early Termination Fee for ending the contract early. After that he can ask AT&T to unlock it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Swiftunlocks.com.

$2.

I've used them for several iPhones.

What he said above.
Did many unlocks with them with no probs.
And offcourse all sites will require you to pay them. They dont unlock iphones for free.
This is a permanent carrier unlock. No matter how many times you update or restore your firmware it will always stay unlocked.

phillyi

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Swiftunlocks.com.

$2.

I've used them for several iPhones.

thanks for the link! im really interested in this.

have you had success with this on an iphone 5 even after the recent changes making unlocking 'illegal' if not done through the carrier?

yehudah72

macrumors regular
May 4, 2008

get Factory Unlock (the best b'csu u can do updates) at:
appledatabase.com for $5.99 (24 hr service... worth the wait for cheap price)

***they actually re-sell the services of Novasd.com but for cheaper price (u'll c the Novasd.com name is your PayPal receipt)

DON'T MAKE IT COMPLICATED... after u receive Conf Email that iPhone is unlocked, all u do is put a Non-AT&T SIM Card on ur iPhone, wait like 30-60 seconds and the Slide-to--Activate...... this unlocks it!!! No more need to plug into iTunes or anything

After that, u'll get a message on your iPhone to do the Carrier Update... this updates ur iMessage, FaceTime, MMS, SMS, etc setting to go through T-Mo and not AT&T servers
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1566660/
OR
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1566660/

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
swiftunlock is th best. used it 2 weeks ago and was very fast. less than 4 hours.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Hello all, I'm a noob in terms of unlocking (never unlocked any of my phones and I've only jailbroken one of my older iPhones once - and then undid it later). I'm planning a trip to Ireland soon and I created a new post about it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17470828#post17470828

But I figured I'd reply here, too, since it might get more attention.

1) Do I need to jailbreak my phone before I can unlock it via swiftunlocks?

2) Will this unauthorized unlock cause me any trouble with my continued AT&T usage? What about if I have to bring the phone in to AT&T or Apple to deal with an issue?

3) Once unlocked, can I just find a SIM card somewhere after arriving in Ireland and save a lot more money by using that versus using something like AT&T's international roaming plans/add-ons?

4) Will I be able to use affordable data with one of the SIM cards/plans in Ireland?

4) I have an iPhone 5, but my wife and daughter have 4S's. Any issues with either of those models?

Iphone5travelr

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Did you try/use swiftunlocks.Com?

abusage

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Fantastic thread, thanks guys. Anyone know if I can still return to AT&T after using swiftunlocks? I want to unlock it for a month or two while I'm in Europe then come back to AT&T when I'm home.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Fantastic thread, thanks guys. Anyone know if I can still return to AT&T after using swiftunlocks? I want to unlock it for a month or two while I'm in Europe then come back to AT&T when I'm home.

If that is what you are doing, call AT&T and tell them this. Foreign travel is a legitimate reason to ask for an unlock while still under contract and AT&T can do it for free. If they refuse for some reason - you can always go with a 3rd party service.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Great idea, I'll try it.

Additionally, if AT&T is anything like Verizon they can suspend your account while you are on travel. So if you will be gone for two months, you can save yourself two months of cell phone bills in the US while you are on travel.

This will extend your contract for the length of time the service was suspended - but you will be looking at well over $100 in savings for two months.

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Yes, you can use an unlocked (by any of the many service providers) AT&T iPhone on AT&T.

I had previously researched suspending or having AT&T unlock an iPhone for extended foreign travel (5-6 months), and it's my impression they they will not do either. I have not yet actually asked AT&T yet though :D.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Well, I come from Verizon and it was a suggestion to try on AT&T. When I spoke to VZ about travel they volunteered to suspend service as a guarantee that I would not incur any foreign roaming charges.

I told them I was smart enough not to get bit by that and they processed the unlock for my wife's 4S. My 5 did not require it since the 3G service comes unlocked. Since it is something these companies can do, it's worth a call to ask.

Slicktype

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Can the 4S be unlocked without connecting it to ITunes ?. I'm only asking because my laptop currently has a virus :-( .
Thanks

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Can the 4S be unlocked without connecting it to ITunes ?. I'm only asking because my laptop currently has a virus :-( .
Thanks

I just unlocked my 4s on AT&T today because I figured I may get more money for the phone when I sell it if unlocked. AT&T sent me an email saying that I must connect to iTunes to finish the process. You have to backup your phone to iTunes, erase data on phone, then do a restore. You may be able to accomplish this using iCloud and not iTunes, not sure though, I would call and ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.