Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:40 PM   #1
davyvfr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Airport Express 2012 Cut Speeds in Half

Hello,

I just got a brand new Airport Express 2012 and updated to the latest firmware. I am on the 5GHZ band with auto scan (for channel) enabled. Before, I would use my Macbook Pro 13" to broadcast a wifi network and I always got around 80mbps with an iOS device connected to my MacBook. With my Airport Express, top speeds are 30-40mbps, sometimes in the 20's. Why is this? How can my MacBook be faster than a dedicated router?
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2
davyvfr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Anybody know why?
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Frosties
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Downgrade router firmware to 7.6.1.

See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1539321
Frosties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
davyvfr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Thanks for the response,

The only problem is that I am running mountain Lion and cannot install the older Airport Utility since it is not compatible. What should I do now?
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
You don't actually have to install the old utility, you can just extract the App from the package.

I actually have it on hand...uploading...and...done. - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39407288/Air...tility_5.6.zip

Make sure to go into Preferences and disable any of the auto update/monitoring stuff because this is just the App (none of the other background stuff is included). Also, rename it something like "AirPort Utility 5.6" that way you don't overwrite the current AirPort Utility.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:13 PM   #6
davyvfr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
You don't actually have to install the old utility, you can just extract the App from the package.

I actually have it on hand...uploading...and...done. - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39407288/Air...tility_5.6.zip

Make sure to go into Preferences and disable any of the auto update/monitoring stuff because this is just the App (none of the other background stuff is included). Also, rename it something like "AirPort Utility 5.6" that way you don't overwrite the current AirPort Utility.
Wow, thanks it worked. However, if you could please tell me how to install 7.6.1 it would be greatly
appreciated

UPDATE: Ok, I figured out how to upload firmware. I just cant find 7.6.1 on the web. Why won't apple let me download a previous firmware version. I can only downgrade to 7.6.2 (the firmware it came with), not 7.6.1

UPDATE: Now, I found all firmware for Airport Express, Extreme, and Time Capsule. However, 7.6.1 is not listed for my Express. Is it compatible with the 2012 Airport Express?

Last edited by davyvfr; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I don't know if the 2012 AirPort Express ever shipped with 7.6.1, both of mine (including a 3rd one that was DOA) shipped with 7.6.2.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
davyvfr
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
I don't know if the 2012 AirPort Express ever shipped with 7.6.1, both of mine (including a 3rd one that was DOA) shipped with 7.6.2.
Yeah, mine shipped with 7.6.2 also, and then I updated to 7.6.3. Is this worth calling AppleCare about? I am using a University Network and there are tons of routers in the area, so I wouldn't be surprised of channel overlap.

But the main point is that my Airport Express should be just as fast as my laptop. Not slower. It also seems to top out around 50mbps, while if I had my laptop create a Wifi connection and use my iPhone 5 to test speeds, I could achieve 70mbps. I am on the 5GHZ band too.
davyvfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God
 
mmomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
Yeah, mine shipped with 7.6.2 also, and then I updated to 7.6.3. Is this worth calling AppleCare about? I am using a University Network and there are tons of routers in the area, so I wouldn't be surprised of channel overlap.

But the main point is that my Airport Express should be just as fast as my laptop. Not slower. It also seems to top out around 50mbps, while if I had my laptop create a Wifi connection and use my iPhone 5 to test speeds, I could achieve 70mbps. I am on the 5GHZ band too.
I never saw a 7.6.2, I went from 7.6.1 to 7.6.3 on all of my devices. TC, AEBS and AExpress.

I just did a speedtest while laying in bed over WiFi and got 99.89Mbps from my advertised 100Mbps on my MBA.
__________________
2013 iMac 27" i7, 32GBRAM, GTX780M, 256GB Flash, VESA, Yosemite
2012 Mac Mini Server w/ 23TB Storage
iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6+ Gold 128GB, iPad Mini 16GB
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:46 AM   #10
anzyme
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Hi, just wonder if you've got a fix for your problem?

My situation is exactly the same as yours -- I got an Airport Express 2012. Previously when I shared internet from my mac mini, I got 80Mbps for my iPhone. Now with AE 2012, I only got 40Mbps. That's annoying
anzyme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions RE: Airport Express (2012) vs. Airport Extreme (2011) warvanov Mac Peripherals 3 Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM
How to fix Airport Express slow wifi speeds Rangerbob86 Mac Peripherals 3 Jun 9, 2013 03:34 PM
Airport Express Help - Extremely slow internet speeds (ethernet & wireless) tann Mac Peripherals 7 Sep 16, 2012 07:46 AM
Old Airport Express vs. 2012 Airport Express jazz1 Mac Peripherals 2 Jul 3, 2012 08:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC