Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Sorry Dude - "Correct the mistake" ?

Is it only me that thinks the over 30's with the means buy iPhones, and the under 30's & esp under 25's head for the Galaxy's.

If you can find data supporting this, then someone would be able to comment with some sort of accuracy.

npggirl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
City of your dreams
Killin' me, Smalls!

So, I am one of those people craving a larger iPhone. What kills me is, some of you act as though Apple would be nuts to actually add additional (a wider variety) phones to their lineup. There ARE people with different wants and needs out there... I think adding some variety is perfect!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This doesn't really apply to me since I have no want or interest in upgrading from my i5 for another year. I just hope (and I'm sure it will happen) that Apple will update the 4" screen iPhone and keep it in their product rotation. I'm not a fan of a 5" screen iPhone. But I know there are consumers who this would appeal to.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
It seems ridiculous for the market's premium brand name to enter the 5" slot 640x1136 when everyone else offers 1080x1920 in the same form factor.

I think plenty of people have gone over this before, but I'll do it again as a refresher ...

If it is retina at a given surface area and resolution, there is no need to increase that resolution for the same surface area. The human eye won't be able to tell the difference, and it will eat up extra cpu/gpu cycles and extra battery life unnecessarily. The Retina iPad's pixel density per square inch is fine. It won't help being any denser than that. It doesn't matter at all if other manufacturers are doing 400+ ppi.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I think a larger phone screen will be a compromised experience, at least for some. But for people whose lives are compromised daily, such as those with poor eyesight or sub-par motor skills, the larger screen is welcome, and there is your target demographic.

Although if someone had poor eyesight and / or poor motor skills I don't see that extra inch helping much. It would be better to just add phone capability to the iPad (you would use a Bluetooth headset though instead of holding it up to your head). I think there is too much self-cannibalization taking that route though, from a business perspective it would be better to just add a larger iPhone to the mix.

Although if Skype still does VOIP to regular phone numbers, anyone with a cellular modem iPad can use the darn thing as a phone already. So for anyone who is tech-savvy this whole thing is utterly pointless.

Personally I can't afford to keep up with the latest iPhone and iPad simultaneously. Not when supporting an entire family that is all Apple-hungry. I'm thinking of trying out VOIP over iPad (again with a Bluetooth headset). If it works then for me the only reason to own an iPhone would be to test apps on (if you are an iPhone developer). My backpack comes with me wherever I go so lugging around an iPad is no prob.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
If A keeps increasing at 200%, and B keeps increasing at 10%, A will overtake B and leave B choking in the dust.

Wow. You don't just not get it, you actively refuse to try.

Let me simplify it for you. There exists *nothing* (company or otherwise) that can continue growing at a rate of 200% forever.

Are you familiar with the "wheat and chessboard problem"? (I suspect not.)

SAL8116

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
I am in the exact same situation, except that I opted for Nexus 4 :) Was very disappointed with iPhone 5. Don't get me wrong, it's a good design, thin and light, but looks a little awkward being so tall and actually feels like some sort of knock off in your hand. I have in the past always protected the screen size of iPhones, but having used my Nexus 4 for just over 3 months, I must admit, the 4'7" screen is amazing (although if it were just slightly smaller, I could you use one handed for most tasks. maybe 4'5?). iPhone looks weird after N4 :)

So, I would welcome a bigger screen size in iPhones, but 5" is probably a little too big.

But I personally think, that apple should concentrate on the iOS rather than hardware. I haven't used Android for almost 2 years until N4 and google have done a great job. The whole argument about iOS being smoother is hardly an argument any more, as the gap is too close, but otherwise android seems to be way ahead.

I think 5" would be too big too. I think the sweet spot is right where the S3 is. Also the S3 falls right with Apple's argument to be able to do everything with one hand if you so choose. I'm able to do everything on screen with one hand.

Maybe true, but there's no denying the fact the iPhone is popular, just look at everyone who carry's them on trains when people go to work compared to Android phones.

Although, Android phones look good too.. Half a million people can't be wrong.

I never said the iPhone wasn't popular. What I am basically saying there is NO reason Apple couldn't come out with a 4 inch model to please that crowd and a 4.5-5.0" model to please that crowd. There is money to be made in a larger set up.

People like me who left because of screen size and little else I am sure would come back in a heartbeat, especially consider most if not all my technology needs are met be Apple, iPad, Macbook etc.

Apple can do the bigger screen if they so choose and many people would gladly jump back who left Apple.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Apple could make a 5 inch phone, pull Siri out of beta and say you can now do all of the necessities with one hand and a voice command to the all new, out of beta, Siri. I already call people, play music, add calendar items, check sports scores, etc.. with Siri. They can just make it official. This solves their one hand marketing issue.

Assuming I can fit the 5 inch iPhone in a pocket, I would definitely be on board for it.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
The Retina iPad's pixel density per square inch is fine. It won't help being any denser than that. It doesn't matter at all if other manufacturers are doing 400+ ppi.

Retina display is 326PPI, but in reality, the human eye can resolve >400ppi.

So, there is an argument for extra pixels.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
5" is perfect for the iphone 6. I just hope it is a real 6, in the sense of a ridiculously awesome feature upgrade and not just some faux upgrade, like the addition of fingerprint scanning to open the phone . . the next ipod should be like 7" and have slightly more width, albeit while maintaining it's overall form factor. I think many would be very pleasantly surprised at how much they would enjoy it.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I honestly see things slipping for Apple, and I have been an iPhone users since the 3G. Samsung and everyone else are building phones with larger displays and despite what some may say (they do not need larger displays) that mindset of larger displays is winning and Apple is losing ground quickly. I think if the 5S is not more than a CPU, storage and camera boost it will not fair as well.

CNet had an interesting article stating that users want larger screens because let's face it, we all do more on our phones so why not have something better to look at with more screen real estate.

I think Apple needs to look at the playing field and come to reality that the iPhone can no longer hold the market as Steve wanted it to by not adapting to it's competitors. I have tried the Samsung GSIII, Note II, HTC One X, all are great phones with sharp displays, some have sd card slots, and all offer larger screens.

The iPhone will have it's place but without an iOS update and larger screen I do not think it will do all that well this year if it only releases the iPhone 5S.

I am do for an upgrade but I am holding off until I see what they come out with and what Samsung does with the GS4 and Note III

Grandpa1947

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Last iPhone

My Iphone 5 will be my last "skinny" phone. If the 6 is skinny, I'll get a Samsung.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok.... guys, but what about what about all your IOS apps your got over the years, you'll know you'll be throwing away $$$ don't you ?

For those who hate the iPhone,, or want to switch maybe,, doesn't that concern you?

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
My Iphone 5 will be my last "skinny" phone. If the 6 is skinny, I'll get a Samsung.

The tradeoff is between ease of carrying / holding vs ease on the eyes or screen space. Retina means a choice between more detail vs more content with less detail, at the risk of being hard on the eyes.

I prefer a phone to be shirt-pocket-able, and a tablet to be no larger than a pad of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. These are carrying sizes we're already equipped to handle. For those who want to follow the beat of a different drummer, maybe they could just make the iPad mini also have phone/text capabilities (which it sort of does if you have the LTE version and use Skype).

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Retina display is 326PPI, but in reality, the human eye can resolve > 400ppi.

So, there is an argument for extra pixels.

Right but the definition for Retina is based on distance. If you can't distinguish pixels at about half an arm's length away then that should be fine (so roughly the length of a full-size keyboard, about 18 inches). Even when someone has their phone right up to their face it is still about 12 inches away from their eyeballs. Any closer and you lose the ability for both eyes to work properly together for focusing and merging the image.

If you have your phone so close to your face that only one eye can properly see it then who cares if you can distinguish individual pixels.

I'm sure a minority of people with better than 20/20 vision can distinguish pixels at 12 inches on a 326PPI display, but I don't see the point in all that extra cpu work and extra battery usage to cater to a minority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_Display

deegaf

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

I've felt the same way. I've jumped to Android a couple of times, then I just get frustrated. I'm not the average noob either, I know how to unlock bootloaders and flash roms. I'm still bored of iOS as we speak, but I think I'm ready to go back to iPhone because they have better apps compared to the Android versions. For me in the end, the apps make the phone.

bluebayou

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
SanFran
ahhh what is this, I might actually have to convert back to iphone again D: i'm a sucker for lightweight & large screens..but then again, maybe an ipad mini would be a better investment lawl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.