Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:31 AM   #26
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
According to the company, these are less aluminum bumpers, and more TPU cases with aluminum accents:

Quote:
Excellent questions. First off, this is not (nor any one of our cases) are all aluminum. The aluminum is minor, more for accent, and is inlayed into a recessed area of the TPU, via a special overmolding process. The overall look is that of aluminum, but without the hassle of screws. The iPhone squeezes in to the case, as the TPU part is slightly expandable, yet snaps back to assure a tight hug. The aluminium is very thin, and of course we took into consideration signal, gps, etc.. This does not affect it one bit. We've tested it in field test mode over several weeks in a variety of weak areas and a few countries overseas.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:20 PM   #27
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
Your argument could apply to other types of cases, yet millions of people use cases for their iPhones. What makes aluminum cases any different? Or do you post this in every case thread?
Yes I post this in every case thread, in every forum, on the entire Internet.

Seriously?
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:29 PM   #28
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Yes I post this in every case thread, in every forum, on the entire Internet.

Seriously?
I hope not. That would be excessive. But the sheer amount of dedication would be impressive!
RichardC300 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:50 PM   #29
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
loll just another alunimum bumper
It is not just an aluminum bumper. It's a hybrid of TPU and CNC aluminum. I've ordered one because I think it looks good and there's a high probability that it will not degrade the signal since the aluminum isn't continuous around the perimeter. I'll report back when I know more.
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:00 PM   #30
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
It is not just an aluminum bumper. It's a hybrid of TPU and CNC aluminum. I've ordered one because I think it looks good and there's a high probability that it will not degrade the signal since the aluminum isn't continuous around the perimeter. I'll report back when I know more.
This changes everything! Now, I am highly anticipating a review on this case. Hopefully, I am not disappointed.
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:49 PM   #31
Chuck-Norris
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
It is not just an aluminum bumper. It's a hybrid of TPU and CNC aluminum. I've ordered one because I think it looks good and there's a high probability that it will not degrade the signal since the aluminum isn't continuous around the perimeter. I'll report back when I know more.
lol good luck with that

tell us how many bars you lose when u get it
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:09 PM   #32
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
lol good luck with that

tell us how many bars you lose when u get it
So negative. Thanks for the good wishes.

Between my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 this will be my eighth case made of all or part aluminum. So far of seven, four did not adversely effect my signal by even a bar, anywhere. The successful ones are all Element cases and are a combination of aluminum and a plastic composite. Like this case the aluminum was interrupted significantly around the perimeter. The manufacturer claims to have tested it fairly extensively. For me a gamble of $50 isn't a big deal. I enjoy aluminum cases. I haven't regretted even the failed tries. So laying on your negativity does not help.

I looked at your posts you use LOL quite a lot. It must be nice to be so wise

Last edited by archrider; Feb 9, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
archrider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:25 AM   #33
Chuck-Norris
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
So negative. Thanks for the good wises.

Between my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 this will be my eighth case made of all or part aluminum. So far of seven, four did not adversely effect my signal by even a bar, anywhere. The successful ones are all Element cases and are a combination of aluminum and a plastic composite. Like this case the aluminum was interrupted significantly around the perimeter. The manufacturer claims to have tested it fairly extensively. For me a gamble of $50 isn't a big deal. I enjoy aluminum cases. I haven't regretted even the failed tries. So laying on your negativity does not help.

I looked at your posts you use LOL quite a lot. It must be nice to be so wise
the amount of money wasted on 8 cases for a phone LOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:24 AM   #34
kaikai830
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
the amount of money wasted on 8 cases for a phone LOL
Maybe you haven't notice, but this is an iphone accessories forum. Most of us here like to buy more than one cases for our phones. If you don't like it maybe you shouldn't be here in the first place!
kaikai830 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:07 PM   #35
Chuck-Norris
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikai830 View Post
Maybe you haven't notice, but this is an iphone accessories forum. Most of us here like to buy more than one cases for our phones. If you don't like it maybe you shouldn't be here in the first place!
oh no it depends on the case
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #36
mysterydate
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Waseca, MN
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
lol. You think buying an aluminum bumper is going to help our economy? Maybe it's that type of thinking that leads to our economic woes.

And ostracizing someone for not buying American? That's pathetic.
As someone who makes iPhone cases in the USA, every purchase of a US product helps the economy. My local economy is helped by the jobs I've created, the products and supplies I purchase from locally owned stores, the rent I pay etc.

Why would you not want your money to stay in your own country? The taxes help pay for infrastructure that you yourself use. It makes sense.
__________________
The first and only FSC® certified iPhone cases, made of paper and laser-engraved, in the USA! www.twigcase.com
mysterydate is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:10 PM   #37
pnyc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Made in the US, hmmm. Wouldn't you want to buy the best quality item you can get no matter where it's made? Doesn't the quality of an item matter more than where the item was made, as a consumer aren't the quality, price, value, etc. the main concerns? I mean if I **** a **** out in the US is my **** any more appealing to a prospective **** buyer than **** that was **** out in another country? Isn't it still just ****?
__________________
MacBook Pro i7, 8GB, 250GB SSD ; 27" LED Apple Cinema Display
pnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:18 PM   #38
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyc View Post
Made in the US, hmmm. Wouldn't you want to buy the best quality item you can get no matter where it's made? Doesn't the quality of an item matter more than where the item was made, as a consumer aren't the quality, price, value, etc. the main concerns? I mean if I **** a **** out in the US is my **** any more appealing to a prospective **** buyer than **** that was **** out in another country? Isn't it still just ****?
Yes, you have to take into account quality. But I give some value to being locally made. So if the price is only slightly inflated I might choose locally owned and made. And no, i wouldn't buy **** even if made locally. I do try to use some judgement.
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:56 PM   #39
HighLife420
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I like. Thread saved so I can see some hands on reviews. Might be just what I'm looking for for my new 5.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB (White) Speck Candyshell, OS 6.1 JB'ed
iPad 3 32GB (White) Apple Smart Case, OS 6.1 JB'ed
HighLife420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:18 PM   #40
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterydate View Post
As someone who makes iPhone cases in the USA, every purchase of a US product helps the economy. My local economy is helped by the jobs I've created, the products and supplies I purchase from locally owned stores, the rent I pay etc.

Why would you not want your money to stay in your own country? The taxes help pay for infrastructure that you yourself use. It makes sense.
1. I have no problem with products made in the USA, or keeping jobs here, or boosting our economy. I support products made here, so long as they are good products, design-wise or manufacture-wise.

I DO, however, have a problem with the "Made in the USA" mentality that many other people exhibit that borders on xenophobia, unreasonable protectionism, and possibly even borderline racism. As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

2. As respectfully as possible, since you were polite in your response: I personally don't feel it appropriate or wise for a vendor/business to engage in these types of conversations with customers and/or potential customers. Don't take it as a criticism, but just a personal anecdote as a heads up for your future communications. To keep it civil, let's just address the pragmatic issue of maintaing a professional image and say that no matter how polite you are in your response, personally calling someone out when they are defending another member of our community is already damaging to your image, at least for me personally.

As an example: I've seen your company before, and I always thought it was cool and quirky, and a little expensive for me personally. No bad feelings, and appreciate the startup mentality. After your response, I went back to visit your webpage, and let's just say that I had to personally assess how you were helping your economy by charging $70 for a wood case. Again, no offense to you or your product, I think it's great and I love entrepreneurs. But you are going to catch a lot more criticism once you engage in self-laudatory commentary while politely criticizing someone else's opinion about a nationalistic remark.

Lastly: all of this is off-topic anyways. And I am done with this conversation. The conversation topic is about the case machine case, and I have done more to contribute to that by actually emailing the company and sharing that with others.

Last edited by NovemberWhiskey; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:28 PM   #41
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
1. I have no problem with products made in the USA, or keeping jobs here, or boosting our economy. I support products made here, so long as they are good products, design-wise or manufacture-wise.

I DO, however, have a problem with the "Made in the USA" mentality that many other people exhibit that borders on xenophobia, unreasonable protectionism, and possibly even borderline racism. As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

2. As respectfully as possible, since you were polite in your response: I personally don't feel it appropriate or wise for a vendor/business to engage in these types of conversations with customers and/or potential customers. Don't take it as a criticism, but just a personal anecdote as a heads up for your future communications. To keep it civil, let's just address the pragmatic issue of maintaing a professional image and say that no matter how polite you are in your response, personally calling someone out when they are defending another member of our community is already damaging to your image, at least for me personally.

As an example: I've seen your company before, and I always thought it was cool and quirky, and a little expensive for me personally. No bad feelings, and appreciate the startup mentality. After your response, I went back to visit your webpage, and let's just say that I had to personally assess how you were helping your economy by charging $70 for a wood case. Again, no offense to you or your product, I think it's great and I love entrepreneurs. But you are going to catch a lot more criticism once you engage in self-laudatory commentary while politely criticizing someone else's opinion about a nationalistic remark.

Lastly: all of this is off-topic anyways. And I am done with this conversation. The conversation topic is about the case machine case, and I have done more to contribute to that by actually emailing the company and sharing that with others.
For your information here's a good place for your post, http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #42
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
For your information here's a good place for your post, http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47
Actually, I think you can blame those that keep bringing up this subject and advise them to take their opinions there.

I defended a member of our community, stood up against some nationalistic comment, and furthered the on-topic conversation by dropping it and focusing on the product wherein I emailed the company for more info and shared that with members here.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #43
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
Actually, I think you can blame those that keep bringing up this subject and advise them to take their opinions there.

I defended a member of our community, stood up against some nationalistic comment, and furthered the on-topic conversation by dropping it and focusing on the product wherein I emailed the company for more info and shared that with members here.
You are correct. I apologize
archrider is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:47 PM   #44
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
You are correct. I apologize
No problem.

Now back to the case:

Here is a pic with the case on. I'm not sure if it is the slimline, but it looks like it. Apparently there is no signal degradation with it. As you can see, it is more TPU than Al, at least from this angle. This fits with the company's description of the Aluminum being more of an accent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 11.25.28 PM.png
Views:	142
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	396218  
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:21 PM   #45
puppers
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post

As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.
I have since appologized for the comment, and explained. No need to bring up again.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
No problem.

Now back to the case:

Here is a pic with the case on. I'm not sure if it is the slimline, but it looks like it. Apparently there is no signal degradation with it. As you can see, it is more TPU than Al, at least from this angle. This fits with the company's description of the Aluminum being more of an accent.
I think I saw this posted on their Facebook, did it not have a side by side comparison?
puppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:23 PM   #46
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
The other side of the picture shows a caseless phone signal. Hard to believe but the signal in this example appears to be improved. I'm sure they show the most advantageous shot. It is the Slimline i5.

By the way this Manufacturer used to be Atomic case. one of the three or four iPhone 4 aluminum case makers. This is stated in this review http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/casema...luminum-w.html.

The Atomic site seems to be nonfunctional now. You can see the similarities. http://www.atomiciphonecase.com/.
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:25 PM   #47
archrider
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Oops forgot the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slimline -signal.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	396240  
archrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #48
puppers
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by archrider View Post
Oops forgot the image.
LOL - I was just going to post it. Thanks. I am excited for this case. Also their FB page has so many more cases, but they are not on their actual webpage.
puppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM   #49
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppers View Post
I have since appologized for the comment, and explained. No need to bring up again.

----------



I think I saw this posted on their Facebook, did it not have a side by side comparison?
Appreciate the apology. Mentioned it only to address the other guy's oversight, not to bring it up again.

NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 PM   #50
mysterydate
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Waseca, MN
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
1. I have no problem with products made in the USA, or keeping jobs here, or boosting our economy. I support products made here, so long as they are good products, design-wise or manufacture-wise.

I DO, however, have a problem with the "Made in the USA" mentality that many other people exhibit that borders on xenophobia, unreasonable protectionism, and possibly even borderline racism. As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

2. As respectfully as possible, since you were polite in your response: I personally don't feel it appropriate or wise for a vendor/business to engage in these types of conversations with customers and/or potential customers. Don't take it as a criticism, but just a personal anecdote as a heads up for your future communications. To keep it civil, let's just address the pragmatic issue of maintaing a professional image and say that no matter how polite you are in your response, personally calling someone out when they are defending another member of our community is already damaging to your image, at least for me personally.
I fully agree about the nationalism that USAUSA sometimes devolves to. Is all 'Made in China' stuff terrible? Nope. I do get a bit annoyed when I see knockoffs of things here, and what seems to be thread after thread of people 'rewarding' the knockoff manufacturers, even though none of them are knockoffs of my stuff. Maybe I jump on it a bit, but I do like reminding people that the original products they buy are the result of R&D, prototyping, and blood sweat and tears.

As far as commenting, truly I should shut up, and attend to the many things I have on my plate I was a member of this and many other forums before Twig, and love to post. Rules of the road require I have a vendor tag over there, so there it be. You're right, pragmatically. Realistically, I'm certain I will annoy and aggravate just by existing. Twig is made up of musicians. We're used to it.

As to the economy - we're having our small effect, which I'm happy with. We're hiring again

I appreciate your response, and I will now close my pie-hole.
__________________
The first and only FSC® certified iPhone cases, made of paper and laser-engraved, in the USA! www.twigcase.com
mysterydate is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is the 5c so awesome? TSE iPhone 37 Feb 11, 2014 08:41 PM
Casemachine Berlinetta Aluminum Case - Tough Install but Awesome Case beaniemyman iPhone Accessories 9 Jul 30, 2013 03:53 AM
Awesome runner with awesome art and music: Grilly The Cheese Piasa Games iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 May 28, 2013 05:32 PM
CaseMachine? Squilly iPhone Accessories 1 Feb 17, 2013 09:50 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC