Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apomarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I replaced my 320HDD in my Mac Mini 2010 with an SSD, while doing so I accidentally removed from the motherboard the thermal sensor(I`m not sure what it really is, but I saw that it is sticked to the SuperDrive) along with its socket that is located on the right next to the fan connector.
bb884bfdf5ab8bee.JPG

When I turned on the mac mini my monitor doesn't light up and after a few seconds the fan went to a really high rpm. I turned it off immediately. I`m not sure if this is the problem, what could be the cause and what can I do?

Edit: The monitor lights up as usual, its working it's just the fan that goes fast.

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Without a temperature sensor, the EFI probably thinks the system is overheating and so turns on the fans high. Only thing to do is fix the temp sensor if you want it to quiet down.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Depending on how bad the damage is, you might be able to get somebody that has EXCELLENT soldering skills to re-fit the part.

If I'm correct, it's a Molex Pico-EZmate™ 2 pin SMD PCB Header.

P/N 0781710002

Several electronics vendors sell these world-wide.

Digikey, for example - http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0781710002/WM4459CT-ND/2424928

If the tracks have been lifted and/or severed, then you'd need somebody with the skill to repair that damage.

The fans should ramp up, since this is a fail-safe mode when the temperature sensor for the optical drive is un-readable (or indeed any other temperature sensor). IE, it's best to run fans at full speed when the sensor fails.

I'm not sure if the machine will shut off under these circumstances. If you're confident nothing else is damaged, you could see if the machine boots.

apomarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Well as it turns out that is the problem, and it will have to be reconnected. The mac mini boots but I turn it off. I don't know what is the full speed. In smcFanControll the maximum is 5000 I guess, but somewhere I read that it shouldn't be at 3000 for more than half an hour.

apomarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I got it reconnected, everything is normal, but I don`t really see improvement over the hdd, like in other videos of the same mac mini with even older ssd`s. Black magic speed test shows 90mb/s Write and 130mb/s read. Anyone has anything to share about that? Do I have to adjust something else?
It`s a Corsair Force GT. Thanks.:)

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I got it reconnected, everything is normal, but I don`t really see improvement over the hdd, like in other videos of the same mac mini with even older ssd`s. Black magic speed test shows 90mb/s Write and 130mb/s read. Anyone has anything to share about that? Do I have to adjust something else?
It`s a Corsair Force GT. Thanks.:)

YEAH here is your problem the corsair force gt uses a sandforce sata iii controller 2200 series

which plays very badly with the 2010 mac mini sata ii. the short answer is there is no real fix. the long answer is the test you did only shows long reads and writes. your iops will still be a lot better with the ssd that you put in. this means you will get some improvement. over the stock hdd when you run a program. the best ssd for your machine is the sata II samsung series 470/810 the 256gb size. it will give you long reads or 250 long writes of 220.

you could go to the corsair support forums they may have a firmware fix but to warn you sandforce firmware fixes for this problem are hit and miss.

sorry that you have the wrong ssd . maybe the newer samsungs the 830 or the 840 will run well in the mini. I have put in 4 or 5 samsung 470/810s and they were really good. I might have one in a parts drawer not sure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 2.37.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 2.37.11 PM.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

apomarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Well I did a research and I came to a conclusion that I have to get a SSD with a SandForce controller?
870a5d5a8ca69b4c.png

Edit: Thanks for the answer :)

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
No, you have to get one without the SandForce controller - like the OCZ Vector, Samsung 840 Pro or SanDisk Ultra Plus.

or one of the older samsungs the 470/810 and / or the 800. in his link it shows he can do sata II and his sand force is causing his link to be sata I. the problem is finding a sata II ssd without sand force can be hard. he will need a used one most likely. your picks are good but they are sata III and will downlink to sata II since the 2010 can only do sata II

this would work at Sata II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item2ec5ce8b61

Giuly

macrumors 68040
or one of the older samsungs the 470/810 and / or the 800. in his link it shows he can do sata II and his sand force is causing his link to be sata I. the problem is finding a sata II ssd without sand force can be hard. he will need a used one most likely. your picks are good but they are sata III and will downlink to sata II since the 2010 can only do sata II

this would work at Sata II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbo...Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item2ec5ce8b61
The SanDisk Ultra Plus is as good as a Samsung 840 Pro on a SATA-II Mac, and it's less expensive than a Crucial m4. The m4 is terrible at 4K random reads, and reading small files off the SSD is exactly what makes it feel snappy.
Check out the Ultra Plus Review on AnandTech and keep in mind that SATA-II tops out at 250-275MB/s.

apomarinov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
What if I stick with this one, will it survive for a year or two for when lets say I buy onother computer that would be able to get the most out of this SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.