Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Talking Who loves HTML5? I do ;)

So, lately I've been using HTML5 for watching youtube videos, and let me tell you, I have a good playback and my iBook doesn't go crazy when I open 2 youtube videos at the same time!!

What's your experience with HTML5 for video playback? Do you use it? Do you use another app for watching youtube videos?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

My HTML 5

...expeirence sucks compared to yours. My ibook G4 is a titch slower (1.07 ghz model) so maybe thats the difference. Herky jerky video and garbled messed up sound is all I get.

What works for me is Quicktime. In Safari via ClicktoPlugin, or through viewtube in iCab, Omniweb or Tenfourfox. 360p is no problem. I get 480p playback with no hiccups with XBMC.

I miss Coreplayer, I could stream 720p from youtube and vimeo with it. The ibook G4 I had it on went belly up and its linked to the serial number, so that's that.
Imixmuan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:54 AM   #3
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imixmuan View Post
...expeirence sucks compared to yours. My ibook G4 is a titch slower (1.07 ghz model) so maybe thats the difference. Herky jerky video and garbled messed up sound is all I get.

What works for me is Quicktime. In Safari via ClicktoPlugin, or through viewtube in iCab, Omniweb or Tenfourfox. 360p is no problem. I get 480p playback with no hiccups with XBMC.

I miss Coreplayer, I could stream 720p from youtube and vimeo with it. The ibook G4 I had it on went belly up and its linked to the serial number, so that's that.
Coreplayer was really cool. I use the ClickToPlugin HTML5. I also have 1.25 GB of RAM. How much do you have?

Also keep in mind that if you have Perian installed, HTML5 videos will suck.

BTW are you using viewtube with the latest tenfourfox?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
Huh?
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5
philz4life
macrumors member

Quote:
Coreplayer was really cool. I use the ClickToPlugin HTML5. I also have 1.25 GB of RAM. How much do you have?

How do you get ClickToPlugin HTML5 on Tenfourfox? I only can get it on safari, and it won't let me get into full screen.
philz4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:48 PM   #6
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Huh?
I cannot remember where I saw that, but I read that Perian is the cause of poorly html5 video playback.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Nermal

Quote:
I cannot remember where I saw that, but I read that Perian is the cause of poorly html5 video playback.
That wouldn't surprise me; Perian has its own H.264 decoder and it's possibly not as efficient as Apple's.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by philz4life View Post
How do you get ClickToPlugin HTML5 on Tenfourfox? I only can get it on safari, and it won't let me get into full screen.
I don't know about firefox, but to get full screen in Safari you will need to download Leopard Webkit and enable advanced features using the shell script included with the download. DO NOT install Webkit systemwide.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by philz4life View Post
I use it with Safari and also with the Webkit. I don't use Webkit as much since Safari is old and I need it for my web dev job (if it works for Safari, it works on every version of IE lol)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't know about firefox, but to get full screen in Safari you will need to download Leopard Webkit and enable advanced features using the shell script included with the download. DO NOT install Webkit systemwide.
You seem to know know alot about leopard webkit. I use leopard webkit daily as my main browser and since you know secrets and stuff do you know a way to get the in-browser download menu instead of the separate window? Like the stuff in the newer os's?
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
You seem to know know alot
Well, this is a first!

Quote:
I use leopard webkit daily as my main browser and since you know secrets and stuff do you know a way to get the in-browser download menu instead of the separate window? Like the stuff in the newer os's?
As far as I know, no. However, you can add a little download button in the upper right of Safari, and when you click on it it'll bring up the window. View > Customize Toolbar > drag the download icon into the toolbar.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well, this is a first!

As far as I know, no. However, you can add a little download button in the upper right of Safari, and when you click on it it'll bring up the window. View > Customize Toolbar > drag the download icon into the toolbar.
Ok thanks, this isn't really what I'm looking for so I guess I can live with it. Its not like its life or death.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:07 PM   #13
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok thanks, this isn't really what I'm looking for so I guess I can live with it. Its not like its life or death.
This is the PowerPC forum. Everything is life or death.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:12 AM   #14
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

HTML5 on my 2006 Intel Imac using firefox was horrid slow! If i wanted to go full screen it would cause major lag (which i never get with flash,even at 1080p)...for firefox (i guess same for tenfourfox?) about:config then false media.ogg/media.wave/media.webm
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 AM   #15
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
HTML5 on my 2006 Intel Imac using firefox was horrid slow! If i wanted to go full screen it would cause major lag (which i never get with flash,even at 1080p)...for firefox (i guess same for tenfourfox?) about:config then false media.ogg/media.wave/media.webm
I don't know but HTML5 for me has been really good. I mean I can watch the video right in the web browser and for full screen it is just beautiful haha oh well.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:40 AM   #16
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
This is the PowerPC forum. Everything is life or death.
Nah its only been awesome, nowhere feels more like home than this forum does.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I also have 1.25 GB RAM, which I can remember thinking at one point was an ungodly amount of RAM. I was at lowendmac.com the other day (boo, hiss...but I only visit once a month or so to see if anthing of note regarding PPC macs have been posted, generally there is not) and a author of an article said the minmum amount of RAM acceptable in any computer today is 6 GB's. I did a spit take on that one.

In the latest tenfourfox (19) viewtube won't work for me, even if I set plugins to true in about:config. I use it in Auroafox, but playback via viewtube is poor compared to Omniweb or iCab (via greasekit). For me, right now, ClicktoPlugin using quicktime in Leopardwebkit is the best youtube experience. Outside of mactubes, which still can't be beat. It's a minor miracle we still have all these options. Long may they continue.

I had not heard that about Perian, I will uninstall it and give it a try, but I like most else of what Perian does. You are the guy who had and put together all those freestanding codecs in a pack, right?
Imixmuan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:04 AM   #18
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nah its only been awesome, nowhere feels more like home than this forum does.
I believe skateny was, in fact, making an exestential comment regarding the fact PPC is on what many would consider Operating System life support. Someone I know, a long time (like, since the 80's) mac user like myself, thinks it is insane I only own a nine year old PPC mac. He has to be out on the bleeding edge, bathing his Intel mac in the craptastic updates of Mountain Lion, speculating on the latest iOS release.... Moi, I could care less. I am staying PPC as long as I possibly can. Who else is with me?

Wait, someone else here has already asked that.....
Imixmuan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 AM   #19
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
I believe skateny was, in fact, making an exestential comment regarding the fact PPC is on what many would consider Operating System life support. Someone I know, a long time (like, since the 80's) mac user like myself, thinks it is insane I only own a nine year old PPC mac. He has to be out on the bleeding edge, bathing his Intel mac in the craptastic updates of Mountain Lion, speculating on the latest iOS release.... Moi, I could care less. I am staying PPC as long as I possibly can. Who else is with me?

I am and yeah i know. lol
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 PM   #20
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool

Quote:

I am
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM   #21
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I believe skateny was, in fact, making an exestential comment regarding the fact PPC is on what many would consider Operating System life support.
Existential indeed.

Old PowerPCs don't die. Nor do they fade away. The just re-enlist.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:25 PM   #22
jsgoulding
macrumors newbie

Quote:
So, lately I've been using HTML5 for watching youtube videos, and let me tell you, I have a good playback and my iBook doesn't go crazy when I open 2 youtube videos at the same time!!

What's your experience with HTML5 for video playback? Do you use it? Do you use another app for watching youtube videos?
I have exactly the same iBook as you, how exactly do you have it set up, as my playback is still poor.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:36 PM   #23
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoulding View Post
I have exactly the same iBook as you, how exactly do you have it set up, as my playback is still poor.
Well, get the ClickTo plugin for Safari (Works in Leopard Webkit) Then in the player settings, set the quality to 240p. You will be surprised about the quality of 240p, it is acceptable. And that's it, you can start watching HTML videos and say goodbye to Flash
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM   #24
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, get the ClickTo plugin for Safari (Works in Leopard Webkit) Then in the player settings, set the quality to 240p. You will be surprised about the quality of 240p, it is acceptable. And that's it, you can start watching HTML videos and say goodbye to Flash
Well, that explains it. 240p isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I use 360p and Quicktime and find playback more than acceptable.
Imixmuan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:01 AM   #25
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well, that explains it. 240p isn't bad, but it isn't great either. I use 360p and Quicktime and find playback more than acceptable.
I use 720p with Quicktime. The thing is I like to watch videos right in the web browser, but that's just me

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Tags
html5, powerpc, youtube