Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beecker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
To those who have renters or Home owners insurance. I would highly recommend add a Personal Property clause to your Mac Laptop or Mac Pro. The reason I share this is because my mothers MBP 2011 had coffee spilled behind it and fried it. She had the extra protection from mac. How ever what i didn't realize is that it didn't cover spills. When she took it into the local apple store, they opened it up to find what else but coffee. I could have knocked that SB out at Apple but... Anyways I'm getting off topic. If you add a PP to your insurance it DOES cover those accidence that can happen your fault or not. I have SF and it only cost me $59 a year to insure it for $2300. Which covers spills, fire, theft and anything else. The really nice things about Macs is that they hold there value so much better then Microsoft or Androids. Just food for thought.

Thanks for reading

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Use 15OFF as a coupon code and get 15% off. Keep in mind this covers more than AppleCare.

It's insurance not an extended warranty. AppleCare doesn't cover theft or water damage and etc like WorthAveGroup does.

----------

Costs me 491 for 3 years of coverage for my MBP.

And why would you NOT just do year by year in case you sell your Mac? Why do 3 years up front when you may not need it?

I have a $2600 Retina Mac and an iPad mini and got 1 year coverage with accidental damage, with 0 deductible for $167.

Retina AppleCare from Apple is $349 plus taxes and its only a warranty and doesn't cover anything compared to the WorthAveGroup insurance.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
To those who have renters or Home owners insurance. I would highly recommend add a Personal Property clause to your Mac Laptop or Mac Pro. The reason I share this is because my mothers MBP 2011 had coffee spilled behind it and fried it. She had the extra protection from mac. How ever what i didn't realize is that it didn't cover spills. When she took it into the local apple store, they opened it up to find what else but coffee. I could have knocked that SB out at Apple but...

Thanks for reading

x2. I highly recommend it. It's called a personal articles policy, and I have had them since 2011 when I killed my 2010 MBA with a spill. In that case, a nice Genius decided to waive the $755 repair charge. I'm a bit curious why Apple sells the AppleCare+ plan for the iPhone and iPad, which does cover accidental damage, but doesn't sell that plan for the Mac (it just sells the standard AppleCare that does not cover accidental damage). The iPad in particular is built like a tank. It will survive spills and drops that would kill just about any other Apple product.

Anyway, what's nice about a personal articles policy is that it covers theft, loss, mechanical failure, and accidental damage. It came in handy for me 2 months ago when I lost my MacBook Air while traveling.

----------

What if my mac was bought used? Will it cover it?

Check with your insurer. Usually they will want to see the receipt that shows the purchase price, since that's generally the amount that they cover. In my case, it covers the purchase price plus tax.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The reason I share this is because my mothers MBP 2011 had coffee spilled behind it and fried it. She had the extra protection from mac. How ever what i didn't realize is that it didn't cover spills.
It really shouldn't be surprising:
http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Warranties typically don't cover such damage or loss. They're for manufacturing defects. Some sound advice is to make sure you understand what you're buying and that it suits your needs/wants.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Use 15OFF as a coupon code and get 15% off. Keep in mind this covers more than AppleCare.

It's insurance not an extended warranty. AppleCare doesn't cover theft or water damage and etc like WorthAveGroup does.

----------

And why would you NOT just do year by year in case you sell your Mac? Why do 3 years up front when you may not need it?

I have a $2600 Retina Mac and an iPad mini and got 1 year coverage with accidental damage, with 0 deductible for $167.

Retina AppleCare from Apple is $349 plus taxes and its only a warranty and doesn't cover anything compared to the WorthAveGroup insurance.

I'd rather rely on homeowner's or renter's than a third party company. Too many of them try to duck out on paying while any claim I've made with homeowner's has always been covered.

Two of them would not have been covered by worth - no damage to my car. The car in question was a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, rag top. I mention rag top as you can actually unzip the windows from the outside and reach around to unlock the door. My homeowner's covered both thefts in full (no laptops, but $2000 worth of tools and equipment both times). I am aware that leaving stuff in the car isn't the best idea but you can't always take all your equipment with you everywhere you go.

p.s. No, I don't have a Wrangler anymore.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I'd rather rely on homeowner's or renter's than a third party company. Too many of them try to duck out on paying while any claim I've made with homeowner's has always been covered.

Two of them would not have been covered by worth - no damage to my car. The car in question was a 2003 Jeep Wrangler, rag top. I mention rag top as you can actually unzip the windows from the outside and reach around to unlock the door. My homeowner's covered both thefts in full (no laptops, but $2000 worth of tools and equipment both times). I am aware that leaving stuff in the car isn't the best idea but you can't always take all your equipment with you everywhere you go.

p.s. No, I don't have a Wrangler anymore.

Larger insurance companies never want to pay out lol. Hurricane Katrina or Hurricane Sandy ring any bells.

Insurance is all about share holders, not customers. Insurance is "in case sh#@ happens money, but if Sh$@ doesnt happy, I believe I should get my money back.".

Last edited:

Beecker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
Why? Was he/she rude or did they just deliver the bad news that AppleCare didn't cover accidental damage? Just curious.

No she wasn't, it was just a SHOCK to me. This was before I used nothing but mac's. I thought that the apple care covered it. When you buy an Alienware, you can buy extra warranty to cover that.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
No she wasn't, it was just a SHOCK to me. This was before I used nothing but mac's. I thought that the apple care covered it. When you buy an Alienware, you can buy extra warranty to cover that.

It's not like it's plainly written on Apple's website or anything...

Beecker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
It's not like it's plainly written on Apple's website or anything...

You need to understand that when this happend I didn't own any apple products at all. So I never read the Terms & Conditions of Apple Care. I've had Microsoft laptops that had extra warranty that you could buy that would cover accidents. Now I have Four different Apple products and have a much better understanding on Apple Care, which I didn't buy when I bought my brand new MBP.

jpw16

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Phoenix AZ
I have a Personal Articles Policy with State Farm on my 13" rMBP. The policy cost me $33 a year. No deductible.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I have a Personal Articles Policy with State Farm on my 13" rMBP. The policy cost me $33 a year. No deductible.

I once did too until the screwed me so hard when my article was stolen, they only gave me a 1/3rd the cost because that was "street value".

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Are you being sarcastic?

Yes. I tend to research the crap out of everything I buy to make sure I spend my money the right way. I hate surprises. Finding out accidental damage is not covered by Apple care is the exact type of surprise I hate, which is why I research stuff beforehand.

The first thing I do when buy anything is find the manufacturer's website, get warranty info, owner's manual, whatever. I zip through reading to ease my mind then pull the trigger.

Since such information is generally very readily available, I find it weird people do not take the time to do a 3-4 minute google search which could save them headaches (and time) in the future. It takes it very little and effort, and can solve problems very quickly.

jpw16

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Phoenix AZ
I once did too until the screwed me so hard when my article was stolen, they only gave me a 1/3rd the cost because that was "street value".

My agent told me that they would give me replacement cost. Whatever I paid and similar specs on the new replacement.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
My agent told me that they would give me replacement cost. Whatever I paid and similar specs on the new replacement.

This is only one agent stating this... IF the time comes you need reimbursement the words can be twisted around. Happened to a friend of mine with SF. Not bad mouthing them, after a few phone calls he finally was awarded the correct sum but it isnt always "simple".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.