Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
According to the company, these are less aluminum bumpers, and more TPU cases with aluminum accents:

Excellent questions. First off, this is not (nor any one of our cases) are all aluminum. The aluminum is minor, more for accent, and is inlayed into a recessed area of the TPU, via a special overmolding process. The overall look is that of aluminum, but without the hassle of screws. The iPhone squeezes in to the case, as the TPU part is slightly expandable, yet snaps back to assure a tight hug. The aluminium is very thin, and of course we took into consideration signal, gps, etc.. This does not affect it one bit. We've tested it in field test mode over several weeks in a variety of weak areas and a few countries overseas.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Your argument could apply to other types of cases, yet millions of people use cases for their iPhones. What makes aluminum cases any different? Or do you post this in every case thread?

Yes I post this in every case thread, in every forum, on the entire Internet.

Seriously?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
loll just another alunimum bumper

It is not just an aluminum bumper. It's a hybrid of TPU and CNC aluminum. I've ordered one because I think it looks good and there's a high probability that it will not degrade the signal since the aluminum isn't continuous around the perimeter. I'll report back when I know more.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
It is not just an aluminum bumper. It's a hybrid of TPU and CNC aluminum. I've ordered one because I think it looks good and there's a high probability that it will not degrade the signal since the aluminum isn't continuous around the perimeter. I'll report back when I know more.

This changes everything! Now, I am highly anticipating a review on this case. Hopefully, I am not disappointed.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012

lol good luck with that

tell us how many bars you lose when u get it

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
lol good luck with that

tell us how many bars you lose when u get it

So negative. Thanks for the good wishes.

Between my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 this will be my eighth case made of all or part aluminum. So far of seven, four did not adversely effect my signal by even a bar, anywhere. The successful ones are all Element cases and are a combination of aluminum and a plastic composite. Like this case the aluminum was interrupted significantly around the perimeter. The manufacturer claims to have tested it fairly extensively. For me a gamble of $50 isn't a big deal. I enjoy aluminum cases. I haven't regretted even the failed tries. So laying on your negativity does not help.

I looked at your posts you use LOL quite a lot. It must be nice to be so wise

Last edited:

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
So negative. Thanks for the good wises.

Between my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 this will be my eighth case made of all or part aluminum. So far of seven, four did not adversely effect my signal by even a bar, anywhere. The successful ones are all Element cases and are a combination of aluminum and a plastic composite. Like this case the aluminum was interrupted significantly around the perimeter. The manufacturer claims to have tested it fairly extensively. For me a gamble of $50 isn't a big deal. I enjoy aluminum cases. I haven't regretted even the failed tries. So laying on your negativity does not help.

I looked at your posts you use LOL quite a lot. It must be nice to be so wise

the amount of money wasted on 8 cases for a phone LOL

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
the amount of money wasted on 8 cases for a phone LOL

Maybe you haven't notice, but this is an iphone accessories forum. Most of us here like to buy more than one cases for our phones. If you don't like it maybe you shouldn't be here in the first place!

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
lol. You think buying an aluminum bumper is going to help our economy? Maybe it's that type of thinking that leads to our economic woes.

And ostracizing someone for not buying American? That's pathetic.

As someone who makes iPhone cases in the USA, every purchase of a US product helps the economy. My local economy is helped by the jobs I've created, the products and supplies I purchase from locally owned stores, the rent I pay etc.

Why would you not want your money to stay in your own country? The taxes help pay for infrastructure that you yourself use. It makes sense.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Made in the US, hmmm. Wouldn't you want to buy the best quality item you can get no matter where it's made? Doesn't the quality of an item matter more than where the item was made, as a consumer aren't the quality, price, value, etc. the main concerns? I mean if I **** a **** out in the US is my **** any more appealing to a prospective **** buyer than **** that was **** out in another country? Isn't it still just ****?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Made in the US, hmmm. Wouldn't you want to buy the best quality item you can get no matter where it's made? Doesn't the quality of an item matter more than where the item was made, as a consumer aren't the quality, price, value, etc. the main concerns? I mean if I **** a **** out in the US is my **** any more appealing to a prospective **** buyer than **** that was **** out in another country? Isn't it still just ****?

Yes, you have to take into account quality. But I give some value to being locally made. So if the price is only slightly inflated I might choose locally owned and made. And no, i wouldn't buy **** even if made locally. I do try to use some judgement.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
I like. Thread saved so I can see some hands on reviews. Might be just what I'm looking for for my new 5.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
As someone who makes iPhone cases in the USA, every purchase of a US product helps the economy. My local economy is helped by the jobs I've created, the products and supplies I purchase from locally owned stores, the rent I pay etc.

Why would you not want your money to stay in your own country? The taxes help pay for infrastructure that you yourself use. It makes sense.

1. I have no problem with products made in the USA, or keeping jobs here, or boosting our economy. I support products made here, so long as they are good products, design-wise or manufacture-wise.

I DO, however, have a problem with the "Made in the USA" mentality that many other people exhibit that borders on xenophobia, unreasonable protectionism, and possibly even borderline racism. As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

2. As respectfully as possible, since you were polite in your response: I personally don't feel it appropriate or wise for a vendor/business to engage in these types of conversations with customers and/or potential customers. Don't take it as a criticism, but just a personal anecdote as a heads up for your future communications. To keep it civil, let's just address the pragmatic issue of maintaing a professional image and say that no matter how polite you are in your response, personally calling someone out when they are defending another member of our community is already damaging to your image, at least for me personally.

As an example: I've seen your company before, and I always thought it was cool and quirky, and a little expensive for me personally. No bad feelings, and appreciate the startup mentality. After your response, I went back to visit your webpage, and let's just say that I had to personally assess how you were helping your economy by charging $70 for a wood case. Again, no offense to you or your product, I think it's great and I love entrepreneurs. But you are going to catch a lot more criticism once you engage in self-laudatory commentary while politely criticizing someone else's opinion about a nationalistic remark.

Lastly: all of this is off-topic anyways. And I am done with this conversation. The conversation topic is about the case machine case, and I have done more to contribute to that by actually emailing the company and sharing that with others.

Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
1. I have no problem with products made in the USA, or keeping jobs here, or boosting our economy. I support products made here, so long as they are good products, design-wise or manufacture-wise.

I DO, however, have a problem with the "Made in the USA" mentality that many other people exhibit that borders on xenophobia, unreasonable protectionism, and possibly even borderline racism. As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

2. As respectfully as possible, since you were polite in your response: I personally don't feel it appropriate or wise for a vendor/business to engage in these types of conversations with customers and/or potential customers. Don't take it as a criticism, but just a personal anecdote as a heads up for your future communications. To keep it civil, let's just address the pragmatic issue of maintaing a professional image and say that no matter how polite you are in your response, personally calling someone out when they are defending another member of our community is already damaging to your image, at least for me personally.

As an example: I've seen your company before, and I always thought it was cool and quirky, and a little expensive for me personally. No bad feelings, and appreciate the startup mentality. After your response, I went back to visit your webpage, and let's just say that I had to personally assess how you were helping your economy by charging $70 for a wood case. Again, no offense to you or your product, I think it's great and I love entrepreneurs. But you are going to catch a lot more criticism once you engage in self-laudatory commentary while politely criticizing someone else's opinion about a nationalistic remark.

Lastly: all of this is off-topic anyways. And I am done with this conversation. The conversation topic is about the case machine case, and I have done more to contribute to that by actually emailing the company and sharing that with others.

For your information here's a good place for your post, https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/47/

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
For your information here's a good place for your post, https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/47/

Actually, I think you can blame those that keep bringing up this subject and advise them to take their opinions there.

I defended a member of our community, stood up against some nationalistic comment, and furthered the on-topic conversation by dropping it and focusing on the product wherein I emailed the company for more info and shared that with members here.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Actually, I think you can blame those that keep bringing up this subject and advise them to take their opinions there.

I defended a member of our community, stood up against some nationalistic comment, and furthered the on-topic conversation by dropping it and focusing on the product wherein I emailed the company for more info and shared that with members here.

You are correct. I apologize

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
You are correct. I apologize

No problem. :)

Now back to the case:

Here is a pic with the case on. I'm not sure if it is the slimline, but it looks like it. Apparently there is no signal degradation with it. As you can see, it is more TPU than Al, at least from this angle. This fits with the company's description of the Aluminum being more of an accent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 11.25.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-08 at 11.25.28 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 212

puppers

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Detroit, MI
As exhibited already in this thread, someone's nationality was called into question simply because they weren't impressed by the country of manufacture for the product. The inference was that despite the fact that he wasn't impressed with a case, he should like it more because it was made here. Frankly I don't care where a case is made so long as it is high quality. And if something is poor quality, or unimpressive, the country of manufacture should not discredit that opinion.

I have since appologized for the comment, and explained. No need to bring up again.

----------

No problem. :)

Now back to the case:

Here is a pic with the case on. I'm not sure if it is the slimline, but it looks like it. Apparently there is no signal degradation with it. As you can see, it is more TPU than Al, at least from this angle. This fits with the company's description of the Aluminum being more of an accent.

I think I saw this posted on their Facebook, did it not have a side by side comparison?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
The other side of the picture shows a caseless phone signal. Hard to believe but the signal in this example appears to be improved. I'm sure they show the most advantageous shot. It is the Slimline i5.

By the way this Manufacturer used to be Atomic case. one of the three or four iPhone 4 aluminum case makers. This is stated in this review http://www.gadgetmac.com/news/casemachine-forza-i5-slimline-iphone-5-cases-meld-aluminum-w.html.

The Atomic site seems to be nonfunctional now. You can see the similarities. http://www.atomiciphonecase.com/.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I have since appologized for the comment, and explained. No need to bring up again.

----------

I think I saw this posted on their Facebook, did it not have a side by side comparison?

Appreciate the apology. Mentioned it only to address the other guy's oversight, not to bring it up again.

:)

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN

I fully agree about the nationalism that USAUSA sometimes devolves to. Is all 'Made in China' stuff terrible? Nope. I do get a bit annoyed when I see knockoffs of things here, and what seems to be thread after thread of people 'rewarding' the knockoff manufacturers, even though none of them are knockoffs of my stuff. Maybe I jump on it a bit, but I do like reminding people that the original products they buy are the result of R&D, prototyping, and blood sweat and tears. :)

As far as commenting, truly I should shut up, and attend to the many things I have on my plate :) I was a member of this and many other forums before Twig, and love to post. Rules of the road require I have a vendor tag over there, so there it be. You're right, pragmatically. Realistically, I'm certain I will annoy and aggravate just by existing. Twig is made up of musicians. We're used to it. :)

As to the economy - we're having our small effect, which I'm happy with. We're hiring again :)

I appreciate your response, and I will now close my pie-hole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.