Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My first iPhone was the 3G and I ended up keeping it for the whole two years. Bought the 4 in 2010 and have gotten the latest iPhone each year since. Going to try and hang onto the iPhone 5 for a full 2 years but that depends on what the 5s offers. LTE was the major reason for getting a 5 so I don't think there is much the 5s can do that would persuade me to upgrade. But with Apple you never know.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
The resell value of iPhones in decent condition still sells enough to offset the cost of an early upgrade, and yes I upgrade every year

I agree, I have always been able to sell and offset any expense of the "early upgrade" and when it was a "standard upgrade" I have made money :D

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I buy every version....I have enough lines open to get a few each refresh.

Me too and before the 4S I was getting the upgrade every year on AT&T , but have a bunch of lines and wife and son take my year old phones bc they do not care, but unless there are some major upgrade points this year or next I am done.

I need micro as card slot, 4.5" screen, base model bump to 32GB for $199 if none of those I am going to Samsung GSIII or GS4

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So you were willing to pay almost $300 extra just to be sure you didn't have to wait a week longer for your iPhone 5?

Wow. Just wow.

I had already sold my 4s prior to the pre-order. I was using an old Razr flip phone in the mean time. I didn't know how long I was going to have to wait. It was the first time I ever pre-ordered and would also be the first time I had an iPhone on launch day. It was worth it to me. Why do you care?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I had already sold my 4s prior to the pre-order. I was using an old Razr flip phone in the mean time. I didn't know how long I was going to have to wait. It was the first time I ever pre-ordered and would also be the first time I had an iPhone on launch day. It was worth it to me. Why do you care?
I thought I didn't get it, because few people are willing to pay an additional $300 just to get the phone a bit faster. But hey, it is your money which you earned and you can do whatever you want with it. ;)

No hard feelings. ;)

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Every year. I somehow find a way to make it work, allowing me to eat the $$$ as little as I can.

Only one I missed on launch day was the Original. And boy do I regret it.

3G-Apple Store
3GS- PreOrder/Mail
4- PreOrder/Mail
4S- Apple Store
5- Verizon Wireless (New carrier)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I thought I didn't get it, because few people are willing to pay an additional $300 just to get the phone a bit faster. But hey, it is your money which you earned and you can do whatever you want with it. ;)

No hard feelings. ;)

No worries. I'm not happy about it but in the end it was my fault for not checking before hand. I should have ensured I was eligible before I ordered.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Me! Ive had everyone since the iPhone 4. Theres 4 others on our family plan and an upgrade happened to line up and I was able to use a family members. Already have an upgrade in line for the next iphone around May.

Every year Ive made money or broke even this year with the 5 because I went with a 32GB instead of 16GB

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I've had the 2G ,3G ,3GS ,4S and thats about it . I've been thinking about getting the 5 , But money is a little tight right now so I might have to hold off or I might wait for the 5S or the 6.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Who gets every version of the iPhone?

In the US, contracts are usually 2 years. If one gets a phone every year, then every other phone they would likely have to pay the full unsubsidized price.

I just get a new phone when my 2-year contract is up and they subsidize it.

Same here. Can't afford a new iPhone every six months. I do have a friend who's gotten every iPhone since the 4. He sells his and uses his other family members upgrades to get them at a subsidized price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Nope, I have owned the 3GS and the 4. Haven't gotten a new iPhone since the 4 and won't be upgrading till my contract ends in December. However, here in Canada it's still three year contracts so it really sucks up here. I'll be upgrading to the 5s and then won't be upgrading until the 7 comes out if Apple keeps it's naming system and update schedule.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Had em all except the 3G (had a 2G on T-Mobile and had no need for 3G). Went AT&T for the 3GS and beyond...

Multiple lines, so always an available upgrade, but even if not I would gladly pay full retail, the iPhone is worth every single penny.

This is coming from a yuppie (admitted) who had to have every "latest and greatest" phone to show off to his lawyer buddies. I literally had a year (2005) where I think I cycled through 15 different phones just because... It was fun, I admit, but then along came the iPhone.

Ever since there has been no need for anything else. The purchases will continue, and I am absolutely amazed at the number of friends and family members who NEVER would have considered one a few years ago that can't live without theirs now either.

My wife included. Makes it less "cool", but it still does everything I want and would be hands down the one thing I wouldn't want to live without (wife included... j/k... or AM I?).

So I count on the 5S, the 6, 6GS (GS), 7, 13 (because the numbering doesn't make sense anyway), and then everything after that.

It was a cell phone destroyer of worlds for me. I'll never own anything else. If it didn't exist maybe I'd have a droid, but it does, so there's 100% no need :D

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Had every iPhone on release day except the 5 which I got on the 2nd day because I was traveling cross country.
Always sold the one year old one for more than the cost of the upgrade so have never been out of pocket. Timing is everything.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
All but the 3G

iPhone - launch day.
3Gs - died heroically at the hands of a 1 year old.
4 - drown to the delight of a 2 year old.
4s - gave it to wife when hers was phone-napped
5 - my reward for living with an old 3Gs for a couple months.

All on AT&T, in fact I still have unlimited data. And I've somehow never paid the unsubsidized price. A couple I qualified for early upgrade. The most recent time my wife used her upgrade which means this summer, I'm due an upgrade again.

I probably won't use it though, unless my phone falls victim to foul play.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I've been on it since the 4. I get the new phone at launch and my wife gets my previous model. She's happy and so am I :)

i4Collin

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
Maryland
I've gotten every version on launch since the 4. I had a 3GS, but bought it in November of 2009. This year though will probably be different. Unless they come out with the 6, I am going to stick to my 5. I'm sorry but I simply cannot put up with the "S" versions anymore. The market is moving way too fast to do small incremental upgrades like that. Most people I know that aren't Apple fans just went for the $99 4 back in 2011, as they really didn't care as long as it looked the same as the 4S.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
bought 3G and 4 off contract and bought the 3GS and 4S subsidized. Skipped the 5 and got a S3 international off contract. will get the 5S or 6 or whatever they decide to call it subsidized :)

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I had every version up until the 5. Most of them I paid the early upgrade price but the 4 and 4S, I waited till I was eligible. I didn't think the 5 was worth upgrading to this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.