Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
rijowysock
macrumors member

Apple genius marked iPhone 5 as "OOW" due to scratch... how to change this

i bought my iphone 5 on the release date... and since have had battery issues... and issues with the O key and K key (very difficult to select either without selecting surrounding keys).. touch screen maybe has faults in it..

i discussed this over the phone several times and finally was told to visit a store in december..

i do not abuse my phone, it has never gotten wet.. but it does have a few scratches on the very edge of the "cheaply black coated" border.. the phone is not cracked.. etc.

the genius said he would replace the phone, went in the back and came back stating "it has scratches.. it's out of warranty" which i feel is complete BS.... the black coating comes off with ease and the phone has not been abused in any way shape or form.. and even if it was scratched these scratches would not affect the center of the touch pad or the battery life.

after visiting i get an email from apple showing his report:

"Problem Description/Diagnosis
Issue: Flattened external border and multiple indents, oow
Steps to Reproduce: Device had indentation and markings from drop customer complained of battery life assessed with external damage
Proposed Resolution: Swap for out of warranty cost customer declined
Cosmetic Condition: Multiple indents around external border

Employee 1176247384"

and my phone marked as "out of warranty"..

is their any way to get past this without having to pay for a replacement... the phone has a warranty covering certain items and my phone was "black listed" as out of warranty due to some surface blemishes... i feel that if toyota started voiding warranties for door dings that this would cause an uproar.. but apple can get away with it without anyone knowing any better.

-riley

----------

the phone is in the same condition it was prior but the "sticky" touch screen is becoming more and more frustrating, and the battery life still very poor despite any efforts..

figured i would ask here before going to the store again, and getting the OOW status thrown in my face.

Last edited by rijowysock; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
rijowysock is offline   1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
i4Collin
macrumors regular

Are the scratches really that bad? If not, I would have raised royal hell and refused to leave the store until I spoke to the manager. The only advice I have is to email Tim Cook and attach pictures of the iPhone. I know it sounds crazy, but it wouldn't hurt to try, and someone from the office usually gets back to you.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
rijowysock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4Collin View Post
Are the scratches really that bad? If not, I would have raised royal hell and refused to leave the store until I spoke to the manager. The only advice I have is to email Tim Cook and attach pictures of the iPhone. I know it sounds crazy, but it wouldn't hurt to try, and someone from the office usually gets back to you.
it was late when i went and i live 40mins from the store so i was exhausted...

does he really have a contact email like job's did? do you have it?

i felt their might be another route? hell i've owned every iphone since inception and just want one that is functional.
rijowysock is offline   1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

So what you're saying is they are just lying and making it all up.
Your phone is in great condition and doesnt have multiple indents and markings from dropping it like they mentioned?
They're just out to get you cause they dont like you?
And yes, they can get away with it. If you keep dropping it and there's markings that prove that then they're not going to keep replacing it for you. Same way Toyota wouldnt just give you another replacement car if you bang it up and then say oh the engine doesnt run too good. Can I get another one?
Get it? Next time be more carefull with your cellphone or if you're clumsly put on a heavy duty case on.

Last edited by Applejuiced; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   4
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:51 PM   #5
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a

pictures would really help right now.
ipodlover77 is offline   6
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:03 PM   #6
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

You need to provide us some pix so we can see if you are right or apple! Most likely Apple wins this one.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:18 PM   #7
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Now I've had poor experiences at the Apple Store as of late but seriously...how bad off can your phone truly be?
mikeydeezy is offline   1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:20 PM   #8
TwistedPain
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
i bought my iphone 5 on the release date... and since have had battery issues... and issues with the O key and K key (very difficult to select either without selecting surrounding keys).. touch screen maybe has faults in it..

i discussed this over the phone several times and finally was told to visit a store in december..

i do not abuse my phone, it has never gotten wet.. but it does have a few scratches on the very edge of the "cheaply black coated" border.. the phone is not cracked.. etc.

the genius said he would replace the phone, went in the back and came back stating "it has scratches.. it's out of warranty" which i feel is complete BS.... the black coating comes off with ease and the phone has not been abused in any way shape or form.. and even if it was scratched these scratches would not affect the center of the touch pad or the battery life.

Steps to Reproduce: Device had indentation and markings from drop customer complained of battery life assessed with external damage

Employee 1176247384"

is their any way to get past this without having to pay for a replacement... the phone has a warranty covering certain items and my phone was "black listed" as out of warranty due to some surface blemishes... i feel that if toyota started voiding warranties for door dings that this would cause an uproar.. but apple can get away with it without anyone knowing any better.

-riley

----------

the phone is in the same condition it was prior but the "sticky" touch screen is becoming more and more frustrating, and the battery life still very poor despite any efforts..

figured i would ask here before going to the store again, and getting the OOW status thrown in my face.
Unfortunately without pictures we really cannot give you an honest opinion. Detailed pictures of your phone would allow us to comment further.
TwistedPain is offline   3
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Mike84
macrumors 6502a

Dude, just call apple care and raise a storm about this complain about the terrible customer service at the store and get apple care to ship you a replacement.
Mike84 is offline   1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:43 PM   #10
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

Insist on a return. Call and ask to speak to the store manager. Explain the situation fully and you will get a favorable outcome.

If the manager still attempts to stonewall you, call iphone tech support and tell them you visited a store as you were asked to, and that they did not help you.

Quote:

Employee 1176247384"

-riley

----------

----------

Sarcasm and an accusatory tone. The last bastion of the (term I can't use) who will defend apple no matter what. So sad.

Yeah, when you're a (term I can't use), apple can do no wrong, and you get to relish the fact that they screw people over. Weee!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Your phone is in great condition and doesnt have multiple indents and markings from dropping it like they mentioned?
And yes, they can get away with it. If you keep dropping it and there's markings that prove that then they're not going to keep replacing it for you. Same way Toyota wouldnt just give you another replacement car if you bang it up and then say oh the engine doesnt run too good. Can I get another one?
Get it? Next time be more carefull with your cellphone or if you're clumsly put on a heavy duty case on.
mackandproud is offline   4
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post

----------

Sarcasm and an accusatory tone. The last bastion of the (term I can't use) who will defend apple no matter what. So sad.

Yeah, when you're a (term I can't use), apple can do no wrong, and you get to relish the fact that they screw people over. Weee!!!!!
You can claim what you want but if you bring in a beat up phone with lots of dents and marks what do you expect?
Common sense much?
But the only way to see both the OP's and the the Apple reps point of view is to see pics. Those dont lie.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 AM   #12
rijowysock
macrumors member

Quote:
not sure why you have t go off on a tangent.. the phone is not new.. but i dont put it in with keys/etc.. it goes in my jean pocket.. and well taken care of.. the corners are all "shiny" form rubbing in pocket and has a scratch on 2 corners...

"keep replacing it"

im asking for it to be replaced once under warranty for hardware issues.

"dropping it".

i dont drop my phone, i dropped my 4 one time, broke screen 199$ replacement and i understand why, because i broke the screen.. the glass on mine is perfect.. just scratches in the poorly "pvd coated" aluminum...

i really dont appreciate your generalizations... you must work for apple.

as far as pics.. i have the phone and no camera right now.. i guess i could take pics in a mirror but ill wait till stateside.

----------

Quote:
You can claim what you want but if you bring in a beat up phone with lots of dents and marks what do you expect?
Common sense much?
But the only way to see both the OP's and the the Apple reps point of view is to see pics. Those dont lie.
ill get pics when i can, you need to calm down however.... i've had every phone they have made and i know what constitutes damage versus natural wear and tear... im also well aware of pvd coatings and how they should hold up..

my problems are hardware problems... touch screen acting off and battery life.. please explain to me how those are "small scratch" related?

also if you wanna pull car analogies.. warranties have to state that any damage/modification was the cause for the failure in order to void... i dont feel that shiny edges and small scratches on the aluminum could cause a battery issue.. or a screen to not work properly...
rijowysock is offline   3
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 AM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Hey so if your phone has nothing like what they described and its in well taken cared of shape then you shouldnt have any problems.
But again why would they just put all those things there on file that your iphone has physical damage when it doesnt? Doesnt make any sense.
And offcourse you wont post any pics.

Quote:
[/COLOR]

ill get pics when i can, you need to calm down however.... i've had every phone they have made and i know what constitutes damage versus natural wear and tear... im also well aware of pvd coatings and how they should hold up..

my problems are hardware problems... touch screen acting off and battery life.. please explain to me how those are "small scratch" related?

also if you wanna pull car analogies.. warranties have to state that any damage/modification was the cause for the failure in order to void... i dont feel that shiny edges and small scratches on the aluminum could cause a battery issue.. or a screen to not work properly...
Im calm, just stating an opinion that's all. Probably not what you want to hear but I just say it like I see it.
If you keep dropping your phone you will have hardware problems like screen not responding or behaving normal etc...
And if they notice dents and scrapes from physical damage then they wont fix it obviously. Are you surprised?
But if your phone has none of that then bring it in and show them that its in normal wear and tear condition and they should take care of it for you.
Normal wear and tear doesnt fit what the Apple tech described above about your device though

Last edited by Applejuiced; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
Spink10
macrumors 68030

tcook@apple.com

I got a call the next day from Apple.
Spink10 is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:07 AM   #15
rijowysock
macrumors member

Quote:
Hey so if your phone has nothing like what they described then you shouldnt have any problems.
But again why would they just put all those things there on file that your iphone has physical damage when it doesnt? Doesnt make any sense.
And offcourse you wont post any pics.
the guy was in a pisst mood and it was late.. the case does have marks but not "dents"..

as far as pics i'm in bogota south america.. i have my macbook air and my iphone...

if i could pull my canon 5d out of my ass from my closet in florida.. i would gladly do that... put down the hater-aide and chill out.

and if u wanna tell me to use the macbook air camera, it doesn't focus for macro...

coming from a person who has 21.5" new imac, 27", 2 air's, 2 pro's, Airport extreme, time capsule, and has had every iphone the day they came out... thank god youre not in charge of customer relations.... "oh sir, we have made more than 50k off you in the last 5 years.. however we're gonna screw you on this phone because i drank too much double XP point mountain dew tonight.

thank you to the rest of the forum who is not on a power trip.
rijowysock is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:14 AM   #16
adam044
macrumors 65816

It comes with a one year warranty, the iPhone 5 has not even been out a year yet so I'm confused as to why it's out of warranty
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
It comes with a one year warranty, the iPhone 5 has not even been out a year yet so I'm confused as to why it's out of warranty
Because Apple Rep said it was damaged by owner.
Spink10 is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:23 AM   #18
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Because Apple Rep said it was damaged by owner.
Ah gotcha
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:35 AM   #19
ipodlover77
macrumors 6502a

OP,

What advice did you expect us to give if you created a thread with no pictures?

Regardless of whether its your fault or apples fault, pictures are still important so we can understand why they might have determined it was out of warranty.
ipodlover77 is offline   5
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 AM   #20
rijowysock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
OP,

What advice did you expect us to give if you created a thread with no pictures?

Regardless of whether its your fault or apples fault, pictures are still important so we can understand why they might have determined it was out of warranty.
i expect you to honor my word and suggest advice to get an alternative outcome..

if i could take pics i would, i tried using the macbook air. but without macro they come out a black blur.. .. i have a canon 5d at home, but thats 1500+ miles away right now.

had time free to ask, so i asked.

obviously broken glass is a clear sign of abuse,... used to be the "end all be all" way of OOW a phone.. but with the iphone 5 and it's poorly coated aluminum.. now surface scratches void warranties? that is my question..

surface scratches are normal wear and tear and have become more prevalent given the "cheaper" renditions of the iphone.. if anyone here had an original iphone you would remember how bulletproof those screens were... and with each year we get a cheaper product.. the 3G and 3Gs... the plastic would fatigue and crack, the 4 and 4S had the glass protrude from the "frame" which would make contact with anything prior to the metal.. the 5 they made the glass flat with the metal.. but the coating is poor..

i have pvd and dlc coated many things in my life.. and when done properly it makes th surface stronger/harder than the underlying metal... grab 5 black iphones and put them in a pile and tell me how uniform the coatings are... and then look at the edges of all the phones for the sheen showing thru from worn away coating.
rijowysock is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 AM   #21
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
i expect you to honor my word
LOL that's so cute. Welcome to the internet, where nobody believes you and point don't matter.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...s7d19860a.jpeg
AlphaDogg is offline   9
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

One way would be to replace the external metal band that they have stated that has multiple indents or scrapes. But not sure if that will work if they noted that on their system and the particular serial number is marked as an out of warranty device.
You can always try again and hope you get another rep that will just replace it for you. Worst thing that can happen is they will say no.
Applejuiced is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 AM   #23
rijowysock
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
LOL that's so cute. Welcome to the internet, where nobody believes you and point don't matter.

i guess we're in a zombie apocalypse where it's everyone for themselves and nobody likes to offer advice anymore without critiquing the OP.

i would expect more from forward thinkers who have escaped the PC world and gone to the dark side.

have fun pissing on the next thread guys.
rijowysock is offline   3
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:00 AM   #24
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
i guess we're in a zombie apocalypse where it's everyone for themselves and nobody likes to offer advice anymore without critiquing the OP.

i would expect more from forward thinkers who have escaped the PC world and gone to the dark side.

have fun pissing on the next thread guys.
You think WAY too highly of us. Most of us are teenagers who find pleasure from blatantly making OP's life hard. I'm not trying to do that, I'm just saying you have to know how the internet works before making unheard of demands on us.
AlphaDogg is offline   5
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:01 AM   #25
mackandproud
macrumors 6502

This thread is officially craptastic. The macrumors forum is a bad joke.
mackandproud is offline   3

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland