Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

lol The iPad Mini's screen is terrible

today i was so bored that i went to the apple store even though my legs were sore and i had my hands on the ipad mini the first time, first impression was it's so light, and then when i looked at the screen, it was terrible, at home screen i couldn't really tell the difference but when i opened the settings app and saw the text on there, it looked very bad imo (because the text is small, but if that's a retina screen then it would be easier on the eyes)

ipad mini users who have used retina screens devices, what do you think?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Hungry&Foolish
In Time-Out

Apple spoiled me with Retina. First the iPhone,then the iPad, and then the Macbook. Can't go back. Mini does look blurry, but not for long.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:37 AM   #3
JTyler82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
today i was so bored that i went to the apple store even though my legs were sore and i had my hands on the ipad mini the first time, first impression was it's so light, and then when i looked at the screen, it was terrible, at home screen i couldn't really tell the difference but when i opened the settings app and saw the text on there, it looked very bad imo (because the text is small, but if that's a retina screen then it would be easier on the eyes)

Omg. I know. I bought one and was pretty disappointed with it. Returned it for a retina ipad. SOOOO much happier
JTyler82 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:38 AM   #4
nephron8
macrumors regular

I am too spoiled by retina,after going iphone 4 to 4s and retina ipad,
Apple brought me down to normal panel and I am honestly disappointed by mini's display.
nephron8 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
dinggus
Banned

Quote:

What do your legs have to do with this story?

I enjoy my iPad Mini, it's small and doesn't need a retina display. If it hurts your eyes, you should go get them checked?
dinggus is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:37 AM   #6
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

I have a retina ipad, and yes the noticeable worse. Infact, my previous Nexus 7 had a better screen. But I still love my mini, I have it with me everywhere. I read a lot more now then before.

Not perfect but the size of the device makes up for it. And don't get me started comparing it to the nexus... I won't be getting any android device in the near future.
tomaseriksson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 AM   #7
JTyler82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaseriksson View Post
I have a retina ipad, and yes the noticeable worse. Infact, my previous Nexus 7 had a better screen. But I still love my mini, I have it with me everywhere. I read a lot more now then before.

Not perfect but the size of the device makes up for it. And don't get me started comparing it to the nexus... I won't be getting any android device in the near future.
I keep hoping google will just give up or spend a little more giving companies more money for better materials.
JTyler82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:27 AM   #8
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I was going to get Ipad mini because my Ipad 2 hurts my wrist holding it to play card games.

But then to get a tablet smaller than Ipad and equally bad in screen resolution, i might as well just get myself an Iphone. At least one of my device is retina.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:45 AM   #9
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
What do your legs have to do with this story?
If he didn't have legs then he couldn't have walked into the Apple store (despite them being tired), thus stopping the story from ever have occurring.
Feed Me is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:56 AM   #10
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
I was going to get Ipad mini because my Ipad 2 hurts my wrist holding it to play card games.

But then to get a tablet smaller than Ipad and equally bad in screen resolution, i might as well just get myself an Iphone. At least one of my device is retina.
The iPad Mini screen looks better than the iPad 2....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
If he didn't have legs then he couldn't have walked into the Apple store (despite them being tired), thus stopping the story from ever have occurring.
True, but he mentions they are sore, does it matter?
dinggus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:58 AM   #11
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
today i was so bored that i went to the apple store even though my legs were sore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTyler82 View Post
Omg. I know. I bought one and was pretty disappointed with it.
I also had sore legs so walked to the Apple store and like Tyler after trying one out bought a mini iPad and was so disappointed with it...I can't read the text without Retina! its all blurry in fact I think this thread is about cake baking but can't read the text to be sure?.....

What should I do?
wrkactjob is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:50 AM   #12
bova80
macrumors 6502

I laugh at the people who think the iPad mini screen is horrible.
bova80 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 AM   #13
ougum
macrumors regular

Quote:

I'm typing this post on an ipad mini. Once I got used to the smaller text, it look fine to me. I had a ipad 3 and a ipad 4. Even with the smaller text, I prefer the ipad mini. People are really exagerating about how bad the screen is.
ougum is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

I have a rMBP, iPad 3 and iPhone 5 and yes, iPad mini...

Yes, high resolution displays are awesome! But that does not mean other screens are 'terrible'.

The mini is a very functional device and a heck of a lot more convenient than the iPad 3 for getting stuff done on the go.

Will I buy a retina mini? Sure, but until then the iPad mini is a perfectly fine device (imo).
Fireball Dragon is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 AM   #15
bigboar
macrumors 6502

yep, had a mini and returned it for the retina..wow, what a difference...i am like the poster above only reversed. i laugh when i see people saying the mini screen is great. however, when the mini gets retina it is gonna be one NICE device!!!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:43 AM   #16
Krimsonmyst
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
yep, had a mini and returned it for the retina..wow, what a difference...i am like the poster above only reversed. i laugh when i see people saying the mini screen is great. however, when the mini gets retina it is gonna be one NICE device!!!
It's pretty commonplace to know that the first iteration of any Apple product will always be missing something that is held back intentionally for version 2.

With the iPad Mini it's the Retina Display.

EDIT: Also, don't lie and say you can't tell the difference between the mini's display and a retina panel. That's like someone saying they can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray.
Krimsonmyst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:47 AM   #17
fraggot
macrumors 6502

All I have to say is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm32ZPvGIYY
fraggot is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:50 AM   #18
Skika
macrumors 68020

Yep, its terrible.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:13 AM   #19
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It's not that bad. If it sucks for you then your loss.
mpayne2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:19 AM   #20
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimsonmyst View Post
Also, don't lie and say you can't tell the difference between the mini's display and a retina panel. That's like someone saying they can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray.
Sure, I can tell the difference between the screen on mu iPhone, the iPad Mini and our iPad 3. But that doesn't make it a horrible screen or mean it's unusable. Some people are so hooked on the retina display that they think everything else is unusable crap, which is so far from the truth. Some people don't like the iPad Mini screen, which is fine. Others (like myself) think it's just fine the way it is. It doesn't have to be one or the other...people can have differing opinions.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:20 AM   #21
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

While it isn't as nice as a retina screen, I wouldn't call it terrible. I swear some people think that if a screen isn't retina it is like using sandpaper on your eyes.

It is nice to have choices, and if the mini doesn't suit your needs then get something else.
ucfgrad93 is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 AM   #22
mrgossett
macrumors 6502

I have both an iPad 3 and iPhone 5 w/retina, and a Mini. I haven't picked up the iPad 3 since I got the Mini. Yes, there is a small but noticeable difference in the screen sharpness on text. Does that render the Mini unusable? Of course not. IMO, the small size and light weight more than makes up for the lower resolution on the Mini. I honestly don't pay any attention to the lower resolution on the Mini now. I also have a Macbook Air 11" that has lower ppi than the Mini, and I use it more than any other device I have. If you focus on the content, and not on pixels, the Mini screen is just fine.
mrgossett is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:03 AM   #23
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. Even being used to the retina display on my iPhone, the iPad mini display does not bother me even a little. Sure, a retina would be *better*, but I certainly don't see why people are bitching so much about it. The iPad 2 screen never bothered anyone, and the iPad mini screen is actually of HIGHER quality (better pixel density). But now that there's a retina display out there, suddenly the iPad mini makes everyone's eyes bleed.

Ridiculous.
TimUSCA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM   #24
XR7CAT
macrumors newbie

I find the display to be good, for what I was looking for in a tablet the iPad mini fits the bill, that and I got it for about $150 off of retail.

Would a retina screen make it better? Sure. Does that mean it is a crap screen? Not in the least.

This is just my opinion, and that is what counts when choosing a device.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:27 AM   #25
Dekard
macrumors 6502

just a case of Haters gonna hate.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad