Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Do you remember the times when Apple keynotes where all about new products and services and not about how much money they were raking in?

Those were good times. I miss those times.

Those times are dead.

Indeed they are.

Apple still has product keynotes... a few of them every year. And they do spend more time talking about the products.

Tomorrow's event is not an Apple keynote.

It's a Goldman Sachs event that Tim was asked to speak at.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I wonder if there will be anything about OS X 10.9 tomorrow, it is about that time of the year...and If I remember right, apple announcements are usually on tuesdays and fridays...I think. Either way, OS X now days has no real announcement anymore for the first appearance of it.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Biggest mistake of Steve was to put Tim Cook in charge of apple.
He has no interest in making apple the best creative company in the world. He was suppose to be logistic genius but even that he's been failing at it. I think ever since he became CEO, he is too busy trying to make lot of people happy and not realizing that he's pissing off lot of loyal customer.

S

syd430

Only opened the comments to get a laugh, knowing it was going to just be one big anti-Wall Street circle jerk

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Biggest mistake of Steve was to put Tim Cook in charge of apple.
He has no interest in making apple the best creative company in the world. He was suppose to be logistic genius but even that he's been failing at it. I think ever since he became CEO, he is too busy trying to make lot of people happy and not realizing that he's pissing off lot of loyal customer.

Please stop talking like you have any idea what a complicated position Tim Cook must be in to be running such a powerful company. I love how people think that since they're up on their Apple blog news they know the status of how the company is being run. Let's face it, we don't know ****, we all are just smart asses aren't we with "if I was in charge, I would do it this way" attitudes. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes that is never released to the public.

S

syd430

yup now if we could just get DC to be more anti Wall street the world would be much a much better place.

If you insist on disbanding Wall Street, just make sure you personally make up the shortfall to the state's coffers with all the tax revenue that they will no longer be getting (or the thousands of affluent people that these firms employ, who incidendently also contribute a huge amount to tax revenue).

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If you insist on disbanding Wall Street, just make sure you personally make up the shortfall to the state's coffers with all the tax revenue that they will no longer be getting (or the thousands of affluent people that these firms employ, who incidendently also contribute a huge amount to tax revenue).

There cas capital before the current iteration of wall street there will be capital after.

The problem with the If wall street goes corporations will shut down, it that it won't happen. Business manage to stay open before the unregulated corporations as people world we currently have and will continue on. Second Corporations through the push to constant growth even though it's not realistic have pushed most productive jobs that actually increase GDP overseas.

The current Wall street is not what Alexander Hamilton envisioned. His idea was long term sustainable institutions. He provided this by given them a central location to sell debt. Nothing on wall street is long tern or sustainable as 2008 showed us

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple still has product keynotes... a few of them every year. And they do spend more time talking about the products.

I'm still waiting for a list of the keynotes where Cook et al focused on profits over products. Have a feeling I'll be waiting a while...

Datalinks

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
Tim may be an excellent CEO and a really nice person but Apple needs a visionary...that's what worries the markets..

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
There cas capital before the current iteration of wall street there will be capital after.

The problem with the If wall street goes corporations will shut down, it that it won't happen. Business manage to stay open before the unregulated corporations as people world we currently have and will continue on. Second Corporations through the push to constant growth even though it's not realistic have pushed most productive jobs that actually increase GDP overseas.

The current Wall street is not what Alexander Hamilton envisioned. His idea was long term sustainable institutions. He provided this by given them a central location to sell debt. Nothing on wall street is long tern or sustainable as 2008 showed us

These days it has sod-all to do with sustainable institutions: it's all about using algorithms to make obscene amounts of cash for those that have buckets full of it already.

It's bad for the world.

----------

Steve wouldn't have. That's one of the things I liked about him.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Bad stuff the government caused? REALLY?
I am not going to go all political on you but, repeal of Glass-Steigel during Clinton, the low income housing act installed under Clinton but really accelerated under Bush 43, and the little known decrease in the margin requirement for investment banks (to 50 from 20 IIRC) and commercial banks (to 15 from 8 IIRC) after 9/11/01 Bush 43. It was a liquidity policy. A housing policy. This in no way means I disagree with you on GS.

However Apple in particular has determined the proper policy in this environment is to hoard cash (actually short term and intermediate term securities, not literally a money market fund), and I agree with that as well. Whatever disaster happens next, Apple will be positioned to survive it and exploit it. That makes me feel comfy. Apple's astounding growth happened DURING the "great recession" in the USA and the turmoil in EU. Come on, that's cool and amazing! One might even say magical.

Rocketman

I will look forward to seeing a transcript of the audio. Some very interesting tidbits in that presentation.

Last edited:

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Please stop talking like you have any idea what a complicated position Tim Cook must be in to be running such a powerful company. I love how people think that since they're up on their Apple blog news they know the status of how the company is being run. Let's face it, we don't know ****, we all are just smart asses aren't we with "if I was in charge, I would do it this way" attitudes. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes that is never released to the public.

Right we don't know anything. However, losing quarter of company's value is one big huge indication that he's not doing his job. Sometimes, when you concentrate on the profit instead of building best products, it will do this to you.
Let's face it. Iphone development has been in funk since iphone 4. Their biggest new feature was and still is "beta" siri which most people just ignore.
There are many simliar droid phones by many companies. There is a reason why samsung sells more than other droid company. They just make good looking phones and hardware. This seems like obvious defeat to me. Don't you think so? Perhaps thinking like this(where you say let's give apple a pass since we don't know what's going on) is what's killing the company apple. They think things are still awesome and dandy. People are not that impressed.

Oh, I know how apple is ran w/ iphone.. "let's not make any change since people will still buy whatever we put out..".. i won't buy iphone 5s

----------

If ipad mini didn't give them enough indication that there WILL be a huge demand for bigger device(bigger iphone), their stock will go down even more.. I think apple must know this by now.

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
I am not going to go all political on you but, repeal of Glass-Steigel during Clinton, the low income housing act installed under Clinton but really accelerated under Bush 43, and the little known decrease in the margin requirement for investment banks (to 50 from 20 IIRC) and commercial banks (to 15 from 8 IIRC) after 9/11/01 Bush 43. It was a liquidity policy. A housing policy. This in no way means I disagree with you on GS.

I agree with you on Glass-Steigel but the gov't didn't create the housing bubble, they enabled it. The banks created it, the gov't was paid off to ignore it, while they were all hedging against it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.