Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Has anyone ever successfully exchanged a faulty or damaged product purchased from a reseller, at an Apple Store, within 14 days of purchase?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think if that occurs, is the exception rather then the rule. There's an expectation that if you bought an apple product from other then the apple store then you need to return/exchange it from where you bought it.

I'm sure some people were successful in exchanging non apple purchased apple items but I think thats rare

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I exchanged an iPhone 5 purchased on sale at bestbuy at an Apple Store. Phone was purchased less than 30 days prior, activated less than 15 days prior.

I didn't even have to show a receipt.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I think they do exchange products purchased from their online store though but I suppose they're the same company.

----------

I exchanged an iPhone 5 purchased on sale at bestbuy at an Apple Store. Phone was purchased less than 30 days prior, activated less than 15 days prior.

I didn't even have to show a receipt.

Did you tell them it was purchased at Best Buy? What was wrong with it?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Your fully entitled to a warrenty replacement through apple regardless of place of purchase.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Bought my iMac from reseller. iMac died and went to Apple Store. They replaced it with new one even though 21 months old. Old one was under Applecare. Where you buy does not seem to make difference to Apple.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Has anyone ever successfully exchanged a faulty or damaged product purchased from a reseller, at an Apple Store, within 14 days of purchase?

Remember, in the end Apple will end up with their faulty equipment whether you return it to the reseller or to an Apple store directly. I've never had problems with an Apple Store looking at something I bought form an authorized reseller. Just be sure to register it with Apple.... Just in case!

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
I think they do exchange products purchased from their online store though but I suppose they're the same company.

----------

Did you tell them it was purchased at Best Buy? What was wrong with it?

They never asked. I wasn't being cagey either.

We were on vacation and the phone would not hold a signal. Kept giving "no SIM card" error. I figured I would get better service at a random Apple Store than a random BestBuy.

Went in, described the problem. He punched some numbers from my phone into his device (this is likely where he was confirming authenticity and eligibility). Then went into the back and brought out an all new iPhone.

As posted, I think Apple will cover any legitimately sold Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.