Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I have a few PDF files that render some of the pages (complex line art) VERY slowly.

Here is an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph171hsj4pcoyxc/Problem PDF page.pdf

It even causes the Dropbox/Safari PDF viewer to hang!

Interestingly, if you download and open the file in Preview but shrink the window so that the page is slightly smaller than the "Open at actual size", the rendering becomes instant.

For some reason, going at least to 100% size causes one of the processor cores to get pegged at 100% for a few seconds while the images get drawn.

The same does not happen when using Acrobat (but the software is otherwise not nice to use).

I have other software (Sente) that uses the Preview rendering engine, so it is also slow.

This is on 10.6.8 on a quad core mini i7. Anyone else see the same problem in Lion and above?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
I just tried Skim. Same problem. The PDF renders fine whilst the window is small, but as soon as I zoom into the PDF or increase the window size (with Automatically resize selected) the rendering takes at least 3-4 seconds - with each panel (A, B, C, D) rendering individually. 1 CPU core gets pegged at 100% during this.

Could it be a graphics card (HD3000) problem?

To test this, I can try at home later on a MBPro with and without discrete graphics enabled.

EDIT:Out of interest, what version of Preview do you have? Mine is 5.0.1

EDIT2: I just booted into Lion and tried it. Same problem. Very slow to render once the image is viewed at greater than "Actual size".

Last edited:

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Drat. I see what you mean now: dreadfully slow redraw here too.
I tried printing as pdf, pdfx, etc in the hope that it might force some change in the document but no luck when opening the resulting files in both Preview and Skim.

I did try opening it in PDFpen (demo version). Initially it opens quickly and thereafter for 6 or 7 clicks of the '+' button until transition from 161% to 177% whereupon it slows - perhaps not quite as much as in Preview.

Really sorry to have given you false hope in my first post!

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Same problem here on a 2011 Mac Mini when viewing in preview except it's even slower than you mention. One the other hand, it loads instantly when I open it up in Chrome. No problem zooming and no hanging whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.