Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a

Very slow PDF rendering in Preview

I have a few PDF files that render some of the pages (complex line art) VERY slowly.

Here is an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph171hsj4p...PDF%20page.pdf

It even causes the Dropbox/Safari PDF viewer to hang!

Interestingly, if you download and open the file in Preview but shrink the window so that the page is slightly smaller than the "Open at actual size", the rendering becomes instant.

For some reason, going at least to 100% size causes one of the processor cores to get pegged at 100% for a few seconds while the images get drawn.

The same does not happen when using Acrobat (but the software is otherwise not nice to use).

I have other software (Sente) that uses the Preview rendering engine, so it is also slow.

This is on 10.6.8 on a quad core mini i7. Anyone else see the same problem in Lion and above?
Spectrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store