Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

WiFi sort of dropping out periodically on iMac, doesn't happen in Windows 7 though

Hi,

I've got an AEBS (4th gen, I think) and an iMac -- they are quite far away, but the WiFi bar shows three signals, and I get good upload/download speeds.

Periodically the internet just stops working. This issue is the same on my iPad. It's not disconnected, as it still shows it's connected to my network but AirPort utility can't find the AEBS, and anything internet related just gets stuck (like loading a webpage).

Strangely enough, I have no problems with this under Windows 7.

I considered that it could be the AEBS (apparently the 4th gen was kind of faulty for long distances?) but I'm not sure. Doesn't make sense it works with Windows 7.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

Sounds to me that your problem isn't signal strength but something else entirely.

Is your AEBS allocating IPs via DHCP or is your gear picking up IPs from your primary router?

The reason why I ask is that the way some third-party routers deliver IP addresses via DHCP can cause drop-outs on certain computers - including Apple kit.

The way around this is to either use static IPs or to set your AEBS up to allocate your IPs via DHCP rather than the main router. Either method should fix the problem
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tersono View Post
Sounds to me that your problem isn't signal strength but something else entirely.

Is your AEBS allocating IPs via DHCP or is your gear picking up IPs from your primary router?

The reason why I ask is that the way some third-party routers deliver IP addresses via DHCP can cause drop-outs on certain computers - including Apple kit.

The way around this is to either use static IPs or to set your AEBS up to allocate your IPs via DHCP rather than the main router. Either method should fix the problem
Thanks for your reply,

My AEBS is handling DHCP+NAT. The router (or gateway) is just giving the AEBS signal via the cable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 601

Just remember in any home network it is best to have the router nearest to your ISP modem the one to do NAT & DHCP. Any router after that needs to have NAT turned off so in Apple routers it is called "Bridged Mode".
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:21 AM   #5
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
Just remember in any home network it is best to have the router nearest to your ISP modem the one to do NAT & DHCP. Any router after that needs to have NAT turned off so in Apple routers it is called "Bridged Mode".
I believe that's how I have it setup. I have a gateway modem which is what the cable connects into, and I connect it to the AEBS via ethernet. The gateway has DHCP and NAT turned off, and the AEBS is configured to handle both of those.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:41 PM   #6
MythicFrost
macrumors 68040

Bump. Anyone know?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:53 AM   #7
satcomer
macrumors 601

Get the free software iStumbler Beta and see what your router wireless channel is broadcasting on compared to other wireless points around you. This way you can change your yours to be different from the others.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help