Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

VPN for remote Mac clients

Was wondering what are you using, successfully, as VPN device to use with remote Macs? Want to remote in from my MBP to desktop.

My MBP & iMac can't be upgraded to beyond the 10.6.8 I currently run (can't upgrade hardware for now either) so can't use the now-free Back to My Mac. Many wireless routers w/VPN at around $200 pricepoint have reviews for Windows but I haven't found good info when the remote clients are Macs.

Thank you for any inputs

bulldigi
bulldigi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:00 AM   #2
iampaulb
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
not sure about VPN but logmein might work
iampaulb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

TeamViewer also not too bad ... Not VPN but remote access.

I have a FreeBSD distribution running (pfSense) providing IPsec-VPN I use with my iPad; not tried yet with MBA but sure it would work.

TeamViewer would be easier
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 601

If you are NOT a /Applications/Utilities/Terminal guru then consider getting some third party applications like Slink or ShareTool or others. You choice is your business.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:02 AM   #5
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

Thank you for your inputs.

I've used both Logmein Free (not Hamachi yet) & Teamviewer to help my Dad overseas who is on WinXP so I appreciate the thought as it does work for remote. No exact rhyme or reason why but somehow in my mind I've put the hosted VPN idea on the back burner. I've read threads on the forums about VPN services too so I may reconsider.

Interesting on pfsense ... looks like the hardware requirements are minimal. I just opened tabs on slink & sharetool ... are these equivalent, security-wise, as Back to My Mac (just runs on pre-Lion)?

Thank you again.
Bob
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

Is anyone using Zyxel product like their USG20W successfully with the native Apple VPN client using L2TP and/or some other client that supports IPSec/OpenVPN? That Zyxel product looks interesting for the pricepoint ...

Thank you.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:56 AM   #7
ttsaon13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldigi View Post
Was wondering what are you using, successfully, as VPN device to use with remote Macs? Want to remote in from my MBP to desktop.

My MBP & iMac can't be upgraded to beyond the 10.6.8 I currently run (can't upgrade hardware for now either) so can't use the now-free Back to My Mac. Many wireless routers w/VPN at around $200 pricepoint have reviews for Windows but I haven't found good info when the remote clients are Macs.

Thank you for any inputs

bulldigi
attachment is mac clients will help you

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Removed attachment
ttsaon13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:30 AM   #8
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Please do not attach files the membership has no idea what it is, as the risk of malware is high.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:08 AM   #9
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

Thank you both.

Well, I came across these: IPSecuritas and VPN Tracker. Former seems freeware. If I do get a device such as USG from Zyxtel I will try either and let all know how it works.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #10
Silencio
macrumors 68000

It's unfortunate you can't use Back To My Mac. For my needs, it's been brilliant. I had a Netopia VPN gateway that was a royal pain to get set up properly, and VPN connections were neither faster nor terribly reliable. Back To My Mac has been seamless for me both remote screen sharing and mounting remote volumes over AFP is fast and easy.

For your purposes, I'd go with TeamViewer or GoToMyPC or a similar service.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

Thank you. Yes, I wish I could just use Back to My Mac. Other than the obvious (sell, sell, sell ) I don't think the OSX version should matter as it worked with MobileMe ...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:19 PM   #12
PosterNutbag.
macrumors newbie

I use a Cisco ASA 5505 and just run the built in mac VPN client on my 11" MBA to connect to my 15" rMBP via the built in VNC client.

I also get the benefit of forcing all my remote network traffic across a VPN tunnel so I use it with confidence in public hotspots. No matter where I am, it always looks like I'm coming from my home Internet connection.
PosterNutbag. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:24 AM   #13
assembled
macrumors regular

+1 for the ASA.

in days gone by I would have suggested SSL Explorer, but it went closed source when Barracuda bought out 3SP :-(
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
bulldigi
macrumors newbie

Thank you - the ASA have great reviews on Newegg ... I wish I can justify I'm testing sharetool & seems decent. For now I may try USG20W since it's only me needing remote access to my iMac from my MBP on the road. I need a wireless router anyways as my Linksys is getting long on the tooth.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:14 PM   #15
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
The ASA 5505 is crazy expensive for most user's needs. A wide variety of routers can support PPTP for 5 or 6 users out of the box (e.g. Asus N66U).

If you have a computer that is on all the time anyway, e.g. file server (and you have a router that you can setup static port forwards, (most of them)) I highly recommend just using Apple's VPN functionality through ML Server. (IPSec)
jared_kipe is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:56 AM   #16
mikeadams
macrumors newbie

We use on premise remote support appliance such as RHUB appliances in our organization to enable remote desktop sharing. It has easy to use functionality and best part is, it is only one time payment.
mikeadams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #17
mille1j
macrumors newbie

Peplink

I use a peplink 20. its an awesome load balancing router. setting up VPN for mac took about 20 seconds and works great-WITH the NATIVE OSX vpn client.
mille1j is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking