Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
tawcat
macrumors regular

Apple TV, I'm so confused

So, the wife is contemplating shutting off our U-Verse TV. We have a smart TV so I'm thinking as long as we have internet we'll be okay.

Looking at Apple TV, I'm not sure how it works. Will I need an Apple TV unit for each TV?

Also have a Bose Lifestyle Theater system, will I be able to run Apple TV thrugh the Bose?

She figures between Hulu Plus etc, she'll be able to watch the majority of her programs. Our main TV is a Vizio smart TV, the other is HD Toshiba.

Any suggestions/input/feedback is greatly appreciated.
tawcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Yes you will need an ATV for each TV. You should be able to run the ATV with the Bose system.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
So, the wife is contemplating shutting off our U-Verse TV. We have a smart TV so I'm thinking as long as we have internet we'll be okay.

Looking at Apple TV, I'm not sure how it works. Will I need an Apple TV unit for each TV?

Also have a Bose Lifestyle Theater system, will I be able to run Apple TV thrugh the Bose?

She figures between Hulu Plus etc, she'll be able to watch the majority of her programs. Our main TV is a Vizio smart TV, the other is HD Toshiba.

Any suggestions/input/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Can't you you watch hulu plus and stuff like that through the smart tv? Seems like apple tv might be overkill, if so.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4
tawcat
macrumors regular

I'm sure via the smart tv all is would be okay, but probably need the ATV for the non-smart tv
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawcat View Post
I'm sure via the smart tv all is would be okay, but probably need the ATV for the non-smart tv
that is correct. The apple tv is a great solution for cable cutters who only want to access content through netflix, hulu plus, and iTunes.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
TomH TX
macrumors regular

Just make sure that you get an Appletv2 if you are thinking about trying to jailbreak it to access XBMC, Navi-x, or other sources that are only available if you are jailbroken. Appletv3 can not be jb'd yet.
TomH TX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
tawcat
macrumors regular

Probably not looking to j/b the device. I have enough trouble trying to use stuff as intended!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8
Cobra611
macrumors member

ATV has a digital out...not sure if the Bose can accept that.
Cobra611 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
jeff92k7
macrumors member

Whoa...you might want to think about this a bit more before cutting the cord - especially with U-Verse. Unless they have recently changed their policy, you are limited to a maximum of 250GB of total bandwidth content per month. If you go completely pay-tv free, you can eat this up a lot faster than you think.

You may want to try it for a couple of weeks to see how much bandwidth you eat up before cancelling the TV portion. AT&T has bandwidth monitors on their website that you can check to monitor your usage.

We used to have U-Verse and cancelled them specifically because of that limitation. It wasn't fair to have paid for the internet service and then have them come back and say that they were going to start limiting the amount that we could use without any corresponding decrease in charges. We switched to TWC which still offers unlimited internet plans.
jeff92k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
mscriv
macrumors 68040

The Apple TV is a great device for accessing content like Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, and other stuff. However, if you are a sports fan you might want to reconsider cutting the cord. Sports are not yet fully supported for internet consumption. So, if you enjoy live sports then cutting the cord will limit you to just what you can get over the air.

Last edited by mscriv; Feb 12, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
mscriv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
macdragonfl
macrumors member

The Bose system will be no problem but you may have to have adapters to do the sound depending on the age. If your system has digital in or Hdmi your ok. If analog you will need a digital to analog converter. You can buy on Amazon for about 20.00 including shipping. In one of my bedrooms I used one with a first generation Bose Cinemate system works great.

i7 mac mini 16gb ram, Airport extreme and express', iPhone 5s
,iPad 4 WI Fi 64gb, ATV 2 & 3
macdragonfl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
tawcat
macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies, I did not know about the ATT bw limitation. I'll check the Bose to see if has a hdmi outlet.

Still in the thought process about cutting the cord!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater