Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
WRXiceman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England, UK
What's the one thing about the new iMac that's impressed you most?

Only had my new 2012 iMac for 3 days now and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's my first iMac so I can't compare it to previous iterations, but I am so incredibly impressed by the sound quality that this machine pumps out. I'm also impressed by how thin it is and how it STILL somehow manages to get that amazing sound out.

Oh, and that screen... Is GORGEOUS!

So what have you lot been most impressed with?

Last edited by WRXiceman; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
WRXiceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
jaimejaime
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
For me it's just the sheer power packed into this thing. I've got a decked out 27", and it's as good as any tower I've used (I've been a tower guy up until this point), and is absolutely perfect thus far for what I need it for.
jaimejaime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Jonathan20022
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimejaime View Post
For me it's just the sheer power packed into this thing. I've got a decked out 27", and it's as good as any tower I've used (I've been a tower guy up until this point), and is absolutely perfect thus far for what I need it for.
This ^ I wasn't even going to consider this iMac since I needed a powerful computer that could at the very least handle modern day games for me like Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3, and the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online.

I was going to build my own tower, but with my awesome credit and the financing plan. The iMac was a serious no brainer.
Jonathan20022 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
The speed, the silence. How good looking it is!
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5
WRXiceman
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England, UK
Talking about gaming, I tried out the BioShock demo to see how it'd run on my 21.5" model and it went very well with settings on high.

Can't wait for SimCity to come out now
WRXiceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
The screen. Love how reducing the depth between the panes of glass reduced glare and reflections.

Love the svelte exterior and the speakers don't sound too bad at all.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:45 PM   #7
davidra
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
First iMac. Love the screen, transition not too bad so far. Fast, quiet, flexible. TIme machine is foolproof. Parallels makes it easy to use some programs I can't use otherwise (like Garmin programs).

Things I don't like: the speakers (cannot believe some of you think this has good sound), the lack of an optical drive, the file system, and the poor implementation of Photo Stream (which worked better on my PC). But all told, worth the switch.
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:47 PM   #8
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
The screen is great. The machine looks stunning from all angles, it runs whisper quiet and it cool to touch. It's also fast, but it should be considering it's a new computer.

It's the most impressive Apple product I've had after my iPad 1st Gen (IMO). The macbook Clamshell and ipod touch 1st gen both come in a close third.

I'm expecting big things for the New Mac Pro due out... this year???
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:02 PM   #9
zedsdead
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
The screen. I had the last model (2009 version) and I didn't expect such a dramatic improvement.
__________________
iMac 27: 3.4 Core i7 Quad, 768gb SSD, 24gb of RAM, 2gb NVIDIA 680mx
rMBP 13: 2.6 Core i5, Iris 5100, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD
iPad Air, iPhone 6, Apple TV, Final Cut X, Logic X, Drobo 5D
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Outrigger
macrumors 68000
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
the weight. its lighter @ 21 lbs than my TBD @ 23.5 lbs. now THAT'S amazing.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:51 AM   #11
laryenhilllvr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
i moved an entire TB worth of music and videos in like 6 hours (maybe less...i fell asleep)...
__________________
I'm living the iLife, but it's time to upgrade all my products.
laryenhilllvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:19 AM   #12
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
The screen. I had the last model (2009 version) and I didn't expect such a dramatic improvement.
Funny... Aside from the glare reduction, the 2012 seems to be a huge downgrade from my 2009 27" (viewing angles, bleed, quality control, image retention etc etc).
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Jonathan20022
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Funny... Aside from the glare reduction, the 2012 seems to be a huge downgrade from my 2009 27" (viewing angles, bleed, quality control, image retention etc etc).
Well he probably doesn't have those production issues, the newer screens and technologies applied since 3 years ago have actually improved. It's ignorant to think it hasn't.
Jonathan20022 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:48 AM   #14
ArtieFufkin10
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
1) The Screen - its gorgeous. I find my self sitting super close to the monitor just because I love looking at it. My wife is making fun of me for that.

2) The audio - really really good for the size.

3) The other audio, or lack thereof. The machine is quiet and fast.
ArtieFufkin10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Miikejs22
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Liverpool
As others have said, the quietness of this machine. It is incredible, this is coming from a 5 year old stock build PC (wasn't upgradable without a rebuild).

For me is the fact the machine is so powerful yet so beautifully designed. Could have gone for a similar windows machine however cost is not much different and the design is worse.

A very happy newbie mac user!
Miikejs22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
steve119
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland, land of the haggis
Screen, audio(although was not loud enough for my needs) and the sheer quietness of the internal fan
__________________
2011 MBP 13" 2.4 i5 8GB, 16GB ipad 2, 16GB ipad mini, apple tv 2nd gen, 80GB ipod.
2012 27"iMac i5 2.9 1TB 8GB Ram, black iPhone 5 16GB
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
emsworthboy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Emsworth, England
The fusion drive

Had mine for about two weeks and am loving it. The best decision I made was getting the Fusion Drive. Almost purchased without it, but so glad I went for the upgrade. It's so fast that I am still amazed by its performance.
emsworthboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:42 PM   #18
knoxtown
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Sorry not just giving you one thing haha

Display is fantastic
It's FAST
It's FAST
knoxtown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:53 PM   #19
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan20022 View Post
Well he probably doesn't have those production issues, the newer screens and technologies applied since 3 years ago have actually improved. It's ignorant to think it hasn't.
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. While I agree the "idea" of it has improved, after having gone through four 2012 iMacs so far, all of them have absolutely CRAP viewing angles on black compared to my 2009 27" iMac. Whether it's due to the lamination process or other factors, the 2012 iMac isn't all roses.

And what's the one thing about the new iMac that's impressed me the most? Well, perhaps it's the lack of availability mid-February... or the lack of quality control, or the lack of good black viewing angles... Those things are very impressive! Didn't think it was possible for Apple to mess up this badly, but apparently they have. Huge Apple fan, here, but this launch was a bit of a joke, let's be honest.

In more seriousness, the GPU in this iMac (680) is a very impressive card, with great overclocking potential.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:29 PM   #20
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
temperatures
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:42 PM   #21
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
temperatures
Yes indeed. That's probably the most noticeable difference from my 2009 27" iMac. Touching the iMac around the back (ooer!) it's unbelievably cool to the touch. My 2009 was a toaster!
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXiceman View Post
Only had my new 2012 iMac for 3 days now and I'm absolutely loving it.

It's my first iMac so I can't compare it to previous iterations, but I am so incredibly impressed by the sound quality that this machine pumps out. I'm also impressed by how thin it is and how it STILL somehow manages to get that amazing sound out.

Oh, and that screen... Is GORGEOUS!

So what have you lot been most impressed with?
You and I are in the same boat in the sense that it's our first iMac. My last Mac of any stripe was a 1997 PowerMac 250MHz processor with a 4GB hard drive. It went on and on for me until last year, when it finally gave up the ghost.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with mine (got it Christmas morning, a total surprise gift by my lovely and amazing wife!)

One of the things I miss on the old Mac was the ability to play 3D games. I think Deus Ex was the last title I was able to play with more than a single digit frame rate. LOL

On this new Mac, oh my God! Rage looks amazing (I'm in the final mission on it, so I'll keep my spoilers to myself). Left 4 Dead 2 is butter-smooth at maxed out settings, Star Wars: KOTOR is fun, smooth, but doesn't drive the cutting edge graphically. Portal and Portal 2 both look incredible. I'm running out of adjectives! I'll probably be getting my Deus Ex freak on soon with Human Revolution when Steam has one of those crazy 30 minute sales!

So, games are a big one, and you can't play a great game with great graphics without noticing that amazing widescreen 21.5" IPS display. The mouth waters, my friend. The mouth waters.
Irishman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:05 PM   #23
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXiceman View Post
Talking about gaming, I tried out the BioShock demo to see how it'd run on my 21.5" model and it went very well with settings on high.

Can't wait for SimCity to come out now
Same here with Bioshock! Jaw-dropping, and smooth-as-silk courtesy of the new Kepler card. I just wanted it to keep going on! I'll definitely be buying both 1 and 2.

As far as demos go that show off the graphical chops of the new iMacs, try Dirt 2. I'm not really into racing games, but damn, it looks yummy!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
First iMac... Parallels makes it easy to use some programs I can't use otherwise (like Garmin programs).
Do you use Streets and Trips for work?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieFufkin10 View Post
1) The Screen - its gorgeous. I find my self sitting super close to the monitor just because I love looking at it. My wife is making fun of me for that.

2) The audio - really really good for the size.

3) The other audio, or lack thereof. The machine is quiet and fast.
The sound is loud, certainly, but hardly high-fidelity. Temporarily, I've plugged in a set of Bose Companions into her, but ultimately am looking into a set of AudioEngine A5's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Audioeng...gine&cp=1&lp=2 and the AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dra.../dp/B00882U782

Listening to some ALAC and FLAC files on that setup will be heavenly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikejs22 View Post
As others have said, the quietness of this machine. It is incredible, this is coming from a 5 year old stock build PC (wasn't upgradable without a rebuild).

For me is the fact the machine is so powerful yet so beautifully designed. Could have gone for a similar windows machine however cost is not much different and the design is worse.

A very happy newbie mac user!
Welcome to the tribe, sir! It's about damn time! :P
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:18 PM   #24
robbie12345
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
You and I are in the same boat in the sense that it's our first iMac. My last Mac of any stripe was a 1997 PowerMac 250MHz processor with a 4GB hard drive. It went on and on for me until last year, when it finally gave up the ghost.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with mine (got it Christmas morning, a total surprise gift by my lovely and amazing wife!)

One of the things I miss on the old Mac was the ability to play 3D games. I think Deus Ex was the last title I was able to play with more than a single digit frame rate. LOL

On this new Mac, oh my God! Rage looks amazing (I'm in the final mission on it, so I'll keep my spoilers to myself). Left 4 Dead 2 is butter-smooth at maxed out settings, Star Wars: KOTOR is fun, smooth, but doesn't drive the cutting edge graphically. Portal and Portal 2 both look incredible. I'm running out of adjectives! I'll probably be getting my Deus Ex freak on soon with Human Revolution when Steam has one of those crazy 30 minute sales!

So, games are a big one, and you can't play a great game with great graphics without noticing that amazing widescreen 21.5" IPS display. The mouth waters, my friend. The mouth waters.
I'm sorry you actually kept a computer with a 4gb hard drive for 16 years??? I assume it was just a toy and you had another?
robbie12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:33 PM   #25
Irishman
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie12345 View Post
I'm sorry you actually kept a computer with a 4gb hard drive for 16 years??? I assume it was just a toy and you had another?
Nope, it was actually my main and only Mac that whole time. Used Illustrator on it, also.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which opticle drive for iMac-not impressed with super drive trans-olsx iMac 9 Dec 18, 2013 08:06 PM
The one thing that bums me about my new iMac Kadath iMac 32 Feb 14, 2013 01:46 AM
First thing to do with new iMac? vansouza iMac 7 Jan 12, 2013 12:11 PM
When your 27" iMac arrives, what is the first thing you will do? jackofharts iMac 36 Dec 11, 2012 10:18 PM
If you were going to upgrade one thing on the iMac what would it be... bobright iMac 13 Oct 28, 2012 02:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC