Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #26
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Someone's definitely blackmailing him to resign. I don't believe the generic health excuse at all.
It is the Illuminati.
ucfgrad93 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:09 PM   #27
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

My first thought was 'Hmmm, what does he know that we don't (yet)?'
jeremy h is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #28
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 PM   #29
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

In his "retirement*" the pope will continue to do poppy things.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering how many child molesters this guy helped in getting away with such a crime.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #30
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post

In all seriousness, I'm wondering how many child molesters this guy helped in getting away with such a crime.

Which is the main reason why I never liked him fron the start.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #31
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
That all happened during John Paul II's tenure, didn't it?
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:54 PM   #32
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post

I'm not defending anyone but I think the abuse cases were buried locally during his tenure but it went international towards the end when he probably wasn't running the show. Then of course, the new guy dealt with the issue....

Of course, one could also argue that this has happened throughout the Catholic Church's history under numerous popes and only gained attention this time around thanks to technology and people being encouraged to speak out these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Which is the main reason why I never liked him fron the start.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with the so-called schism and faith dilemmas this will have among Catholics.

I was raised Catholic and I'm so glad that I managed to think my way out of the religion.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #33
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I do feel bad for him for having aging take its toll but its good that he will be out of the position. I hope someone with better knowledge of the Bible and...
i agree with many, many criticism about him as a pope but "lack of knowledge of the bible" is absurd for 2 decades of teaching theology and being prefect of the congregation of faith for 25 years

if anything he was too much of a ivory-tower scholar, lacking the very important shepard-qualities for being a pope of the people
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM   #34
vega07
macrumors 65816

When I heard the story on NPR, I immediately thought he resigned partly due to the clerical sex abuse that's been plaguing the church recently, since he did have communication with ex-Cardinal Mahoney who was stripped of his duties beginning of Februrary.
vega07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:13 PM   #35
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
i agree with many, many criticism about him as a pope but "lack of knowledge of the bible" is absurd for 2 decades of teaching theology and being prefect of the congregation of faith for 25 years

if anything he was too much of a ivory-tower scholar, lacking the very important shepard-qualities for being a pope of the people
When was the last time there was truly a "Pope of the people"? The 14th Century? Because, clearly they are stuck there while "the people" have moved forward.
Moyank24 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #36
Huntn
macrumors 604

Anyone know how much the Vatican holds in funds? If it's billions, too bad they don't start giving some of it to help out their fellow human beings.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:02 PM   #37
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Since he will go back to being "Cardinal Ratzinger", I guess we will have to call him "ex-Benedict".
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #38
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Since he will go back to being "Cardinal Ratzinger", I guess we will have to call him "ex-Benedict".
He's still Joe da Rat on my play list, with or without his red slippers.

KGB
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:24 PM   #39
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post

I don't consider someone like the pope who thinks its ok to discriminate against others knowledgeable in the teachings of Christ.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:27 PM   #40
Technarchy
macrumors 601

If he is sick, he is wise to step down before he falls apart.

Pope John Paul II was in no condition to be Pope at the end of his life. No reason to replicate that situation.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:27 AM   #41
Heilage
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Ratzinger himself actually helped formulate the document that surfaced a few years ago which describes the whole conspiracy of hiding child abuse.

(Source: Documentary I saw a few weeks ago, I can see if I can find it again if someone is interested in watching it)
Heilage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:14 AM   #42
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:54 AM   #43
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

This will not influence any thing here in Europe, the church is dying on it's feet here. Even in it's heartlands the numbers are falling.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:09 AM   #44
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:32 AM   #45
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
That's your opinion. I think the man knows the book well, it's just a crappy book.
It's not actually opinion. If you read and understand the Bible you'd know that someone who preaches hate doesn't know a thing about Christianity.

There's memorization and comprehension. He can have it memorized all he wants but he hasn't comprehended hardly any of it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:10 AM   #46
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #47
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
The man is a former full tenure Theology Professor and VP of Regensburg University as well as the former President of the International Theological Commission, former Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and former President of the Pontifical Biblical Commission.

I am sorry, but the man knows what he is talking about and has the credentials to prove it. The problem is that the book you guys all worship is outdated as is your faith.
Cut the faith bashing, I don't criticize you for lack of faith.

Again, there is memorization and comprehension. No where does Jesus tell people to hate and discriminate. The pope does this and thinks its right, hence he doesn't comprehend the Bible well.

Why is this hard for you to see?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #48
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I was raised Catholic and I'm so glad that I managed to think my way out of the religion.
Ditto.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Pope John Paul II was in no condition to be Pope at the end of his life. No reason to replicate that situation.
To be fair, they rarely are. But that's one of the stipulations of the job. Still, no doubt for an 80+ year old man, it's an absolutely hellish (no pun intended) endeavour.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:06 PM   #49
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Cut the faith bashing, I don't criticize you for lack of faith.

Again, there is memorization and comprehension. No where does Jesus tell people to hate and discriminate. The pope does this and thinks its right, hence he doesn't comprehend the Bible well.

Why is this hard for you to see?

I'm in no way religious and thought my way out of Catholicism. Today, I consider myself an atheist-leaning agnostic. However, I think that the message and philosophy of the man the Christian bible refers to as Jesus is worth noting, especially when all the supernatural elements are taken out as Thomas Jefferson did. Love your neighbors and enemies and do good to others is some radical thinking, even today.

I think the crux of the matter is that the pope, Christianity, and religious zealotry get in the way of what someone believes in. Again, I hold no belief and I really don't care what others believe in but do think about the faith you hold onto and how it's dictated by people who wear robes and funny hats and does nothing but hound its followers for money.

Speaking of the pope, you have to keep in mind that this is also a person who bashed gay people and denied the spread of HIV/AIDS for the sake of doctrine. That's some interpretation of a book complied together by a 4th century emperor.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #50
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
This will not influence any thing here in Europe, the church is dying on it's feet here. Even in it's heartlands the numbers are falling.
Quote:
And good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Ever since it's made it's way to Europe, Christianity has only brought death, misery and destruction. From destroying the Roman Empire and the Pax Romana to the atrocities committed against pagan religions and so called heretics during the dark ages through the Crusades, the Witch Hunts and the religious wars, the history of the Christianity in Europe is one of murder and atrocity.

When I was in Europe in 2010, I can clearly see the church having very little influence among the people there. I mean, I did see Catholic church buildings in the cities but they seemed like nothing more than relics of yesterday. I also felt that religion doesn't seem to be a driving force in people's everyday lives as it is in other parts of the world.

Now in the USA, that's a totally different story. We have our areas where Christianity is THE only religion and anything else is considered wrong, even other sects of what claims to be the same religion. So we're still working on it here....

Personally, I can't wait for the day where religion becomes a thing of the past and people decide what they believe in for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Ditto.

What did it for you?
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues