Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
catcrossing_zps7b54b60c.jpg

The cat made a well-timed decision to cross the street as I was composing an otherwise boring shot :rolleyes:
Your comments are welcome.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Love the color and lines in this one. I have a question or two for you, P. When you are shooting these type of photos with apertures like f/16 or 22 to get a wider DOF, do you use a DOF app to get the hyperfocal distance or do you just focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene? Secondly, since I have a 5D Mark III as well, do you center AF focus/recompose, move your focal point in the in viewfinder AF area array or manually focus? Just curious, and continuing to try to learn and improve. Thanks.
:)

For shots like that one, I usually focus bracket in case I need to do some stacking in post to get enough depth of field. But before I do that I always try to get it in one shot just in case it's possible, and it very often is with wide-angle focal lengths. For the one-exposure version, I focus about a third of the way in (always manually), using Live View at 10x magnification. I then chimp and adjust as necessary. After I think I've gotten it all in one exposure, I then do some focus bracketing just in case (it's often difficult to tell how sharp everything is just by viewing the camera's little LCD screen, so I'm never entirely sure that it's all sharp while I'm in the process of shooting).

I'm having a bad hair day !

Chouette_lapone-0299-XL.jpg

So much character in this one! Great owl portrait.

Mine for today: a stitch of 19 vertical images in two rows, encompassing a field of view of approximately 160 degrees... (click to see it larger)

And just for fun, so you can see just how close I was to the waterfall: me shooting this photo.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I use the Cactus v5 triggers and the advertised range is 100m, but people report that they reach further. Even better, they have a hot shoe on top, so you can piggyback them to extend the range.

Mine go for up to 200m's on a good day, they are cheap flea-bay 2.4GHz knockoffs that cost me about $20.

Thanks, guys. I'll check out eBay...

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

Los Angeles Definition Graffiti (1960d)

I see this every time I leave my friends house, I find it fitting that 2 days away from leaving LA, I finally got a shot of it.

(The 1960d project is a Prontor 125 rangefinder lens modified to fit my Canon 60d)

1/1250
ƒ2.8
ISO640
45 mm

Schtumple, I've enjoyed seeing LA through your eyes, especially your 1960d project, thanks for sharing it with us.

catcrossing_zps7b54b60c.jpg

The cat made a well-timed decision to cross the street as I was composing an otherwise boring shot :rolleyes:
Your comments are welcome.

shashin, this railway crossing has a Willy Wonka factor that most of us would recognise as uniquely Japanese. To me, it didn't even need the cat, it has enough fascination of its own (as an outsider).

For shots like that one, I usually focus bracket in case I need to do some stacking in post to get enough depth of field. But before I do that I always try to get it in one shot just in case it's possible, and it very often is with wide-angle focal lengths. For the one-exposure version, I focus about a third of the way in (always manually), using Live View at 10x magnification. I then chimp and adjust as necessary. After I think I've gotten it all in one exposure, I then do some focus bracketing just in case (it's often difficult to tell how sharp everything is just by viewing the camera's little LCD screen, so I'm never entirely sure that it's all sharp while I'm in the process of shooting).

Fantastic hint Phrasikleia, thanks a million. I had been wondering about focus stacking in landscapes for a little while now, particularly about exposure and focus bracketing combined together.

Mine for today: a stitch of 19 vertical images in two rows, encompassing a field of view of approximately 160 degrees... (click to see it larger)

And just for fun, so you can see just how close I was to the waterfall: me shooting this photo.

Really nice stitch there. The shot of you so close to the falls had me in awe of how dedicated you are to this art form / obsession. ;) It has only been since getting my Tokina 11-16mm ultra-wide angle lens that I realised just how ridiculously close it allows you to things. Which is of course, very cool. :cool: Until you bump into them!

AlexH, good eye for spotting that inverted scene in the centre piece of glass. I was fascinated by that in our front door as a kid! I agree, right focus!

Death Valley California...

PHD_4019%20-%20Version%205-XL.jpg

Peter, way to go and get some drama! Love it!

Last edited:

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
8466866490_7b16be11bd_c.jpg

Icicles, icicles, icicles!! Captures one aspect of the blizzard last weekend.

Last edited:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Very nice with the water pouring into the scene in a rather unexpected place.

Thanks, yeah I was quite surprised to see that too - large waves were breaking further out on the rock platform so the water tricked down to form this waterfall. Kind of surreal like a mini oasis.

Entropy.jpg

Two very contrasting and excellent photos Phrasikleia!
That picture of you really puts things in perspective for your second shot, looks very cold :eek:
Impressive stitching of the collection of long exposures!
This is something I've been thinking about trying in combination with shallow DOF... imagine long exposures combined with the Brenizer method!

Pelican:

img3779h.jpg

EF 400mm f/5.6L - 1/1600s - f/5.6 - ISO800 - 400mm

Last edited:

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
"shashin, this railway crossing has a Willy Wonka factor that most of us would recognise as uniquely Japanese. To me, it didn't even need the cat, it has enough fascination of its own (as an outsider)."
quote ijohn.8.80

Thanks for the witty response! Now that you mention it, it does have a sort of Willy Wonka look to it!:D I hadn't thought of that before but a lot of things here strike me that way.
Here's today's shot. Again, responses are always welcome.
oldtemplecopy_zpsee521704.jpg

Last edited:

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

Thank so very much for the feedback and education. How's the new RRS tripod holding up in the extreme cold? It looks awfully chilly in that picture of you by the waterfalls. Brrr....

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
Pillar

Here's today's photo. It's pretty interesting to find these places between the tall buildings in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
As always, your comments or recommendations are welcome.:)
Pillars_zps56d73223.jpg

24mm f/5.6 1/640 sec ISO 200

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Two very contrasting and excellent photos Phrasikleia!
That picture of you really puts things in perspective for your second shot, looks very cold :eek:
Impressive stitching of the collection of long exposures!
This is something I've been thinking about trying in combination with shallow DOF... imagine long exposures combined with the Brenizer method

I look forward to seeing the results when you get around to trying that, Reef! There is a whole thread on POTN for sharing Brenizer method shots. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but it might hold some nuggets of information/inspiration for you.

Thank so very much for the feedback and education. How's the new RRS tripod holding up in the extreme cold? It looks awfully chilly in that picture of you by the waterfalls. Brrr....

YW, I'm always happy to bloviate. ;) The new tripod has been a real champ so far. It went right into battle on the front lines and came out unscathed. I've now had it out in some pretty nasty winter weather--that day by the frozen waterfall wasn't the worst of it.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
What a difference a day makes! Taken last Saturday...only one day after our worst snow storm in five years.

PHD_6026%20-%20Version%204-XL.jpg

Last edited:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
What a difference a day makes! Taken last Saturday...only one day after our worst snow storm in five years.

PHD_6026%20-%20Version%204-XL.jpg

Really nice shot. The sun and attitude makes it feel like a lazy summer beach shot to me but the snow paints a completely different picture!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I look forward to seeing the results when you get around to trying that, Reef! There is a whole thread on POTN for sharing Brenizer method shots. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but it might hold some nuggets of information/inspiration for you.

Cheers I had a look at that POTN thread, definitely some great inspiration, some of those portraits are incredible.

Times Square, NYC (Click for larger)

Last edited:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

So much character in this one! Great owl portrait.

Impressive, to say the least! How much pre-planning went into this shot? Did you have the location and technique planned before the hike or did you just think this out on the fly? How did you calculate the horizontal pan to get the 19 seperate shots? Did you eyeball it or use the degree marks on your tripod head? What about the vertical to get the second row? Was your sequence across, up and back? Did you write all the settings down before starting the shoot?

Are the "tire chains" on your boots a replacement for snowshoes or something you carry in your pack for conditions like this? I've looked at something like this at REI. They would come in handy for safely carrying my gear up on my local version of the Alps.

Dale

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.