Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I've had a macbook pro for ages, but still not got a time machine for it...... I cant really be bothered to plug it in every time I want a back up done, and Im probably going to share my external raid 1 I used for my mac pro to do the back up.

So will partitioning my raid 1, mounting the partition and then setting that as the time machine backup on my macbook pro work? Or does it have to be an actual apple time machine drive to back up wirlessly?

Also on a raid 1, if its partitioned and one drive fails, theres no reason you can still mount both partitions of that pair of drives is there? (Annoyingly I just replaced the drives as the both failed at the same time last time).

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just to clarify, by "Sharing" I assume you mean connecting to your existing external disk on your Mac Pro via the network - not by unplugging it from the MP and plugging into the MBP.

It can be done, it's just not quite plug-and-play. You will need to set up a sparse disk image on the remote drive, mount the image on the MBP, and then locate the new image in Time Machine and turn it on.

Here is one article with info on doing this:

http://basilsalad.com/how-to/create-time-machine-backup-network-drive-lion/

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Just to clarify, by "Sharing" I assume you mean connecting to your existing external disk on your Mac Pro via the network - not by unplugging it from the MP and plugging into the MBP.

It can be done, it's just not quite plug-and-play. You will need to set up a sparse disk image on the remote drive, mount the image on the MBP, and then locate the new image in Time Machine and turn it on.

Here is one article with info on doing this:

http://basilsalad.com/how-to/create-time-machine-backup-network-drive-lion/

thats exactly what i mean..... great link too! thanks very much

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
tried it last night.

15 days to do a backup.... think ill stick to the cable (itll be my terrible router thats slowing it down)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.