Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Hey Guys

My app Calorie Split is in the AppStore.
It's my first app and making it really helped me learn how to use Xcode.

I grapple (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling) and train with MMA fighters.
I noticed that a lot of them have to make weight for fights and having proper calorie control is a primary factor in achieving this.

This app will calculate an approximation of your maintenance calories. This is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight. If you want to lose or gain weight, you just create a deficit or surplus.

You can then split your calories out between Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats and the app will tell you how many grams of each you need in a day and meal.

This information is widely used by athletes you need to control weight and I thought it would be a useful app.

Any feedback would be appreciated guys.

Thanks

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id591634318

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Not sure I get it. In the weight box, do we enter our GOAL weight, or our CURRENT weight? Here are my caloric calculations based on the hight of 63 inches:

425 lb / none activity = 3026

125 lb / none activity = 1393

99 lb / high activity = 1799

99 lb / none activity = 1252

These results are blue and in the middle. So it didn't tell me if I needed to eat more or less to lose, gain, or maintain the weight. I only looked at that section of the app.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Not sure I get it. In the weight box, do we enter our GOAL weight, or our CURRENT weight? Here are my caloric calculations based on the hight of 63 inches:

425 lb / none activity = 3026

125 lb / none activity = 1393

99 lb / high activity = 1799

99 lb / none activity = 1252

These results are blue and in the middle. So it didn't tell me if I needed to eat more or less to lose, gain, or maintain the weight. I only looked at that section of the app.

Hi mate.

Yeah it's your current weight.

The calculated figure is your maintenance calories. It's an approximation of what you require to stay around your current weight.

To lose weight, you'd create a deficit. The size of the deficit would depend on how you feel.

Say my maintenance calories were 2800 and I wanted to lose weight. I'd eat 2400 for about a week or 2 and see if I was losing weight. If I felt good, i might knock off another couple of hundred calories.

The main reason for me making this app was that a lot of people didn't know their maintenance calories and so didn't know how to create a proper deficit.

If i didn't know my maintenance amount, I might have thought that 2000 calories was what I should be eating, taken 200 calories off that and I would really be in a 1000 calorie deficit (maintenance of 2800, actually eating 1800).

Iphull

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Ok, I get it. Thanks.

----------

So, if I weigh x but WANT to weigh Y, I enter Y, and that will tell me how much I need to consume (and not more) to reach that weight ...unless you're trying to gain. In that case, you don't want to eat any less than Y.

Not bad. I'll hang on to it.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
not bad for a first app!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I joined this forum a couple of years ago when buying my first mac and have learnt a lot from the forums here, really good resource.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
If any of you guys have time, could you please rate it in iTunes? I'm hoping it'll help it when it comes to search results etc.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.