Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
The reason the stock is down is what he didn't say. He did not announce that they were giving the $137 billion to shareholders (or at least more than what has already been announced). I liked the statement that Apple is focused on positioning itself for the long term and on building great products. Too often companies focus only on the quarter or year at hand. Wall Street is not used to Apple's approach and its rough for them to understand.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My favorite spin quote

"The only thing we'll never do is make a crappy product. That's the only religion we have...we must do something great. Something bold, something ambitious. Something great for the customers, and we sweat all of the details. "

I can list a few in recent years that wouldn't pass this test.

AncientGeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Finding acqisitions is not easy

Having been involved in an ungodly number of acquisitions, finding ones worth doing is very hard. Particularly large acquisitions: even for companies that do the analysis and do it well, the track record is pretty dismal. The ones statistically most likely to succeed are small and targeted, usually aligned on technologies and skills rather than products.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
+1.... was a good quote!

Overall, a good interview. Tim comes off as very confident about where they are going. Hopefully, that means new toys in 2012. :)

Imagine... An apple time machine to put us back into 2012 just so they could come out with new toys for that year :).

I'm sorry I couldn't resist

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
My favorite spin quote

"The only thing we'll never do is make a crappy product. That's the only religion we have...we must do something great. Something bold, something ambitious. Something great for the customers, and we sweat all of the details. "

I can list a few in recent years that wouldn't pass this test.

Mac Mini HDMI problem.

----------

For long term growth and secure the customer base in the future, Apple should acquire Mattel.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Your sarcasm may be be misunderstood by many. CEO interview after which company's shares drop more than 2% obviously should not be called excellent. 50 more interviews like that and Apple goes bankrupt :D

You're confusing a good quality interview, which it was, with saying exactly what the stockholders want to hear, which it wasn't. Sorry that you got it wrong as usual and sorry that Apple is not going down like you've always dreamed of. :D

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Absolutely gorgeous :) -

11:15 A.M.: Cook: "I don't have very many bad days, I'm very fortunate from that point of few ... if I'm feeling down ... I go to a store. It's like a Prozac," he said.

Well... Someone needs to reduce a dose and get back to the real life.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What;s your metric for innovations? Profits? Then, I guess, Exxon Mobil is the most innovative company in the World. If, on the other hand, we look at the more conventional metrics like the number of patents granted and the size of of R&D budget, Samsung leaves APple in the dust.

And what makes you think I care about what Apple thinks? This is not Apple employee forum. Many people here have AAPL shares. They definitely care about share price.

Samsung and their 137 page booklet "how to copy the iPhone". Yes, that's innovation.

As far as the share price is concerned, most shareholders have figured out by now that Apple's strategy of not giving a damn what Wallstreet thinks is exactly what has put money into their pockets.

And there are more US tax payers than Apple share holders. The US tax payers probably know that it is their taxes that paid for bailouts that made the likes of Einhorn rich. Many people would be very, very happy if Cook had kicked him where it hurts literally, not figuratively.

Having been involved in an ungodly number of acquisitions, finding ones worth doing is very hard. Particularly large acquisitions: even for companies that do the analysis and do it well, the track record is pretty dismal. The ones statistically most likely to succeed are small and targeted, usually aligned on technologies and skills rather than products.

Here's what a man whose company is worth about one percent of Apple told me (in an employee meeting): "When you have lots of money in the bank, and Wall Street tells you that you should acquire other companies, remember this: The bank is a very, very good place for your money to be".

For big acquisitions, look at the losses that Microsoft and HP made. Apple has to sell an awful lot of iPhones to make as much money as Microsoft and HP lost an acquisitions.

As a CEO Tim Cook report to shareholders. Several more interviews like that and he might be giving interviews in a different capacity.Only in Apple distortion field $6 drop in price is not called "going down". Is it going up?

I don't think you are actually clueless. I think it is all intentional with you. Here's a clue: Look at the share price ten years ago. Look at Apple's strategy since then. And then tell me how incredibly stupid an investor would have to be to want to change Apple's strategy.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
You're confusing a good quality interview, which it was, with saying exactly what the stockholders want to hear, which it wasn't. Sorry that you got it wrong as usual and sorry that Apple is not going down like you've always dreamed of. :D

As a CEO Tim Cook report to shareholders. Several more interviews like that and he might be giving interviews in a different capacity.Only in Apple distortion field $6 drop in price is not called "going down". Is it going up?

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Jobs had a good stance on the shareholder thing, no dividends or other crap. Tim has set in motion the whole reward shareholder thing... I smell bad things.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Tim keeps saying "We are constantly looking". Well make up your friggin mind man. Stop looking and start doing.

Most companies that just do stuff, without looking until they first find something really top notch, produce cr*ppy product or lose money.

Start your own company and see if you can beat those odds before you rag on some other company.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
What;s your metric for innovations? Profits? Then, I guess, Exxon Mobil is the most innovative company in the World. If, on the other hand, we look at the more conventional metrics like the number of patents granted and the size of of R&D budget, Samsung leaves APple in the dust.

Are you serious? I mean, really? Samsung is a copycat, no innovation happening at all. Their original "innovations" are pie-in-the-sky junk that never even make it to market most of the time. Apple actually manufacturers and sells original stuff. It takes a major denial of reality to imagine that Samsung innovates more than Apple.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
After reading some posts on here it seriously sounds like some of y'all are just trying to make find ways to say Tim Cook sucks or something.

EDIT: Not to mention it seems a lot of people here think innovation happens every day. Seriously Apple went from like 2001 to 2007 before they released the iPhone and before Steve even called it "Another Innovative Product."

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
You still don't understand what that document was. At all. Wow.

And apparently, neither did the jury, who gave a 1 billion dollar verdict to Apple. Or the judge, who upheld it, or basically every journalist who wrote about the trial. But apparently you're privy to some magic inside information.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Are you serious? I mean, really? Samsung is a copycat, no innovation happening at all. Their original "innovations" are pie-in-the-sky junk that never even make it to market most of the time. Apple actually manufacturers and sells original stuff. It takes a major denial of reality to imagine that Samsung innovates more than Apple.

No. For the most part - Apple takes existing products and improves upon them/makes them simple and easy to use. That's their magic.

They are innovators. For sure. But you're horribly wrong if you want to throw Samsung under the bus for not being innovative and being copy cats. Just wrong on so many levels. It takes "major denial of reality."

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
The reason the stock is down is what he didn't say. He did not announce that they were giving the $137 billion to shareholders (or at least more than what has already been announced). I liked the statement that Apple is focused on positioning itself for the long term and on building great products. Too often companies focus only on the quarter or year at hand. Wall Street is not used to Apple's approach and its rough for them to understand.

Great analysis. That's why Apple is a good long-term investment, but unpredictable for short-term gains. You never know what rumors will surface or how they will affect the stock. Apple's secrecy often allows bogus rumors to get legs, causing a good deal of volatility in the stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.