Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
OSX 10.9 with 200+ New Features!

With most new OS releases, Apple claims to have packed in how ever many new features. Most of these I am not aware of in my normal day to day use, but following is a list of my new features that I would*be aware of.*I guess you could call it my wish list.*
A few of these will rely on things brought to ios7.

-Various stability upgrades and bug fixes
Fixed File:/// crashing
Full screen mode with multiple monitors
Save As has been brought back
-iOS integration
Apple maps built into 10.9
Siri has been pulled out of beta and ported to OSX
Quick access settings (accessible from menubar)
iBooks
Newsstand [more on that later]
Clock app accessible from menu bar
-iCloud
Any file can now be uploaded to iCloud
iCloud can now automatically back up selected folders
iCloud notification center
Keychain can now sync on all devices
iCloud power settings to maximize battery life*
Ability to backup entire system to iCloud [Don't know about you, but my battery life is much worse with iCloud]
iCloud accessible from the menubar for quick file management
iCloud VPN [This would be awesome. I don’t feel like paying for a VPN service, it would be great in Starbucks or someplace with a filter. With this you could access your home network through an airport.]
-Siri
Custom Siri database[stole this one from another website. His example was having Siri remember your combination for something]
Key parts of Siri are now stored locally for faster and offline use [this would just be for core functions, I guess it could all be local but I'm not sure how much space it would take up]
Siri is no longer beta
Much improved voice recognition
3rd party developers can now take full advantage of Siri by adding their own custom commands for the entire system or for 3rd party applications.
Custom keyboard shortcuts for Siri
-Maps
Pins sync via iCloud throughout all devices
Navigation is a lot better [I just use the google maps app so I'm not sure what exactly is bad about apple maps]
Gesture support*
Directions can be found on OSX and sent directly to iPhone/iPad [this could be useful if you click on a Facebook event and after finding directions in apple maps you can send them directly to your phone for when you go to the event]
Support for indoor floor plans [google does this. It could be cool if you need to go to the mall and want to go directly to the store]
Integrated with iPhoto places
Find publicly shared photos and where they were taken [this would be cool if integrated with facebook/twitter/Instagram]
-Dashboard*
Option to make dashboard go over the current desktop instead of being a desperate window
Dashboard and notification center are merged*
Quickinfo widgets like in ios7
Third party developers can create standalone widgets or ones that go with their own apps
-Stock application improvements [ical, reminders, notes, etc.]
-Finder improvements
-PowerSave mode cuts off all power consuming tasks or settings except for what you deem essential. [For those times when your battery is almost dead but you need to finish a task]
-Evernote integration
-Spotlight
Wolfram alpha integrated in spotlight
Wikipedia integration [more than it is now, you don't have to search but just click on the article]
-TimeMachine*
Select backup times from preferences*
Exclude certain folders from backup
Time Machine in certain apps so you can see what was in the app at a certain time [Saw a post about deleted photos in iPhoto, this could be useful]
Option to backup trash
-Itunes
Itunes is split into different apps like in iOS
Itunes media apps accessible from the dashboard
iTunes can still be accessed as a whole for syncing and for purchasing media
iTunes radio
-iWork '13
Document collaboration similar to google docs
Fresh UI [Current UI is still nice, but it should be 4 years nicer]
Easier access to bullets
Easier Sub bullets
-Improved keynote recording [I think it would be awesome if you could record the keynote while talking. That way you would not have to adjust the slide times in the video export option and you would not have to put in a voiceover]
-Airdrop to iOS devices
-Ad Hoc Network capabilities
Itunes sync via ad hoc [I know there is a wi-fi sync, but there are a lot of places where i don't feel comfortable sending my data through. This is 2013, I shouldn't have to carry a cord either]
iWork Collaboration supported by adhoc
You can now share a Wi-Fi connection from Wi-Fi [I know this sounds stupid, but some people with older/cheaper routers don't have enough ports to support a household full of phones, computers, and everything else]
-Added features for pro users
[I am not a pro user, i have no idea what should be added]
-iLife '13
-iPhoto
Improved organization
Improved Faces
Password Protected Folders

-iMovie
Improved editing options
Better looking UI

-Garageband
[Don’t use it that often]
3rd party developers can add their own instruments and sounds
-NewsHub
Improved NewStand
Ability to add your own channels [Like in Flipboard]
Websites can create their own channels [Could be awesome for blogs]
On Board software to create your own channels out of websites
Pile as many websites into one channel as you like
Reader Option
Evernote Integration
Facebook and other social media integrated
RSS Feed support
Forum Feed
-Facetime/Messages
Completely overhauled UI
Facetime and Messages merged into one app
Facetime supports 4 way video calling with mobile devices
8 way computer to computer video calling
Support for effects [iPhone might not have the processing power for this]
iChat Theatre
You can now view text messages that have been sent (iCloud SMS/MMS Sync) [This would be cool if you are texting a non iphone or if you shut off data for whatever reason. It would sync once you got a connection to iCloud so no pieces of the conversation is missing]
-Color in Menubar
-Security Updates
-Better Firewall
-Less annoying GateKeeper
-Ability to view a streamed video feed from an ios device
-4G LTE Support
-iBooks
Gestures
Sync your current page and bookmarks to all devices
Focus mode where you can shut off all notifications and sound so you can focus on your book
-Longer hardware compatibility [It is ridiculous how Apple wont allow certain key features if your Mac isn’t brand new. I get that this it encourages people to upgrade, but not many people can afford to upgrade every year or two.]

I don’t know how many features that was, but I would love if you could add some of your own.
Chances are that most of these won’t make it onto 10.9, but maybe in the future. If not, I still had fun.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
It's been a long bumpy ride since SL.

Less bloat and more stability would be my vote.

I like my iPhone, but I blame ios. It's a profit machine so all the attention and focus is on mobile...the combination of trying to merge features of ios and osx, with most resources being poured into ios or mobile hardware has left OSX feeling like a permanent beta. Hopefully, with the new leadership structure, OSX's will become a priority again. Even if its not the top priority.

Oh, I agree completely. They need to at least put someone in charge of the OS X team, it seems after old man Jobs left office politics took over and all the good people that made the Mac what it is left.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
With most new OS releases, Apple claims to have packed in how ever many new features. Most of these I am not aware of in my normal day to day use, but following is a list of my new features that I would*be aware of.*I guess you could call it my wish list.*
A few of these will rely on things brought to ios7.

iLife, iWork and iTunes are not part of OS X

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Apple installs them on each Mac, so they are part of Mac OS X installation.

They're separate updates from OS X. Wipe your Mac and reinstall OS X, will iLife and iWork get reinstalled or will you have to reinstall them from the App Store?

sniffs

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
They're separate updates from OS X. Wipe your Mac and reinstall OS X, will iLife and iWork get reinstalled or will you have to reinstall them from the App Store?

iLife and iTunes were pre-installed.. it was installed on both my Macbook Air and my Macbook Pro when I first turned them on.

I think the reason they are on the Appstore is for distro's that aren't pre-installed, you can download them manually.. or if you decide to delete them you can re-download.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
iLife and iTunes were pre-installed.. it was installed on both my Macbook Air and my Macbook Pro when I first turned them on.

I think the reason they are on the Appstore is for distro's that aren't pre-installed, you can download them manually.. or if you decide to delete them you can re-download.

Wipe your Mac and reinstall OS X, will iLife and iWork get reinstalled or will you have to reinstall them from the App Store?

iTunes, iLife and iWork are not part of the OS X upgrade cycle or new features in the OS:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I'd prefer a more trim approach like they did with Snow Leopard. I'm not much of a fan of the ipadification of OS X recently. Sure, it looks amazing and stunning a lot of it graphically, but I don't use it. I've never ever needed to use launchpad, or mission control.

I still think Mac OS X Panther and Mac OS X Leopard are the best OS X releases to date. Panther flew it was so fast, I actually find Tiger quite slow in comparison to Panther and also Leopard. Although its more graphic reliant it does seem snappier than Tiger.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

They are downloaded and installed seperately.

I have done multiple clean installs and have to download/reinstall them after OS install.

Bundled at purchase time and preinstalled = not part of OS.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
As to what I want from 10.9

ZFS

HFS+ is clunky, does not do dedup, does not do compression, does not do checksums.

ZFS would be cool. It's what my NAS uses.

One of the 'draws' to OSX has always been their adoption of modern technologies, wheras Windows can take a decade or more to update things like the filesystem, and even THEN they only 'update' it to something that doesn't really keep up with anything else around. Linux guys (and I'm one of them!) never seem to have a problem updating an OS with new file systems, major new components, etc., every couple of years. Apple could do it!

There's also some cool new file systems being developed by Samsung and some others that is optimized for flash memory and NAND architecture. I imagine with Apples move to all-flash architecture in all of their products (I imagine in a few years even their workstation computers like the Mac Pro will have an SSD standard), that would make a lot of sense...

Last edited:

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
As to what I want from 10.9
ZFS

HFS+ is clunky, does not do dedup, does not do compression, does not do checksums.
HFS+ supports file system compression (file contents & metadata) since Mac OS X 10.6.

ArsTechnica said:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6/3/

In Snow Leopard, other kinds of files climb on board the compression bandwagon. To give just one example, ninety-seven percent of the executable files in Snow Leopard are compressed.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I think that the move towards a universal OS (maybe Apple OS / AOS) is inevitable. I also think it's a good idea. *ducks to avoid the flames*

I'd love to have the ability to use everything on my iPhone or my Macbook (not that I've got one yet). Not just documents but apps too. I know there is more and more stuff which will work like this such as bookmarks in Safari but it's still far from the ultimate goal as I see it. Obviously it wouldn't work to just make the UI smaller for the iPhone - it would be completely unusable.

Now that Microsoft have created a univeral OS, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes Apple to do it. I'm sure they'll make a better job of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

Microsoft have not created a universal OS. Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 remain separate.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
- The ability to run 2 or more full screen apps on separate monitors side by side at the same time

I really don't see why this hasn't been available since Lion. It seems silly to me. I love using full screen apps on th primary monitor but when I do my secondary just goes grey and becomes useless. Would love to see this in 10.9 but I don't see why it couldn't be added in 10.8.3...

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I really don't see why this hasn't been available since Lion. It seems silly to me. I love using full screen apps on th primary monitor but when I do my secondary just goes grey and becomes useless. Would love to see this in 10.9 but I don't see why it couldn't be added in 10.8.3...

So it can be added to the big "New 400+ Features" page on the Apple site.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I hope that you are wrong. I want to get the 2013 Mac Pro.

Oh. we're getting a new Mac Pro... and then it will get small "updates" for the next 10 years until they actually improve it again.

That's what I mean when say "pretty much". Because during the same time the air will likely get HUGE updates, iPad will, MBP might even get good revisions between now and then.

Oh, and the iPhone will.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I hope that you are wrong. I want to get the 2013 Mac Pro.

I have a feeling you will. Core Storage isn't the kind of tech that has much value for average users. The mac pro though, it could make the machine do some pretty magical things. Apple will probably corner the workstation market if they have planned what I think they have planned.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
What I want, not that Apple cares:

1) Fix Time Machine. It is badly broken especially across the network.

2) Improve finder make it a real file manager and/or give me the ability to completely replace it. Just copying the features available in Xtrafinder would be a big step forward (tabs, dual panes, list folders first, etc). Support for sftp would be a big plus. In other words, make finder as competent as the worst Linux file manager.

3) Fix Safari rendering. Every time i resize a web page I get very thin vertical black lines, 2 or 3 per screen. This little bit of fail even exists in Web Kit nightlies, so I'm not sure what the heck they are doing.

4) Fix messages. As one reviewer pointed out it exists somewhere outside the time space continuum as we know it because messages arrive out of order and nowhere near when they are sent, or not its totally random.

5) Improve the app style interface for those who want it but leave in and improve the file centric interface for those who want that.

Last edited:

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Some people are saying Siri and Apple Maps integration into Mac OS X, but I don't see any reason to... Do you guys?

no, I don't do that either. but hey, no probs - no uppgrade = no degrading of hardware or money spent on pointless cosmetics...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.