Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmfel1926

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Hello,
i would like to know if it is better to have a VM for windows 7 or have it as dual boot . I have the MBA 2012 11.6'' i5 1.7 /128/8
thanks

jmfel1926

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
well i want windows for some programming exercises that i have and can only be done on windows OS . regular use of Visual Studio and some other programmas only windows can handle for my studies.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can you suggest me a good VM program ?

I swear by VMWare Fusion, others like Parallels Desktop and some others even use Virtual Box.

The first two have trials for you to try and the last one is free, so you have to see, which is the one fulfilling your needs the best.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Parallels is better, but I find VMWare simpler to use. For gaming, I go into bootcamp.

Haaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Philadelphia area
Why not have it both ways? Both VMWare and Parallels allow you to use your Boot Camp Win7 install as a VM. That's what I do, and it works perfectly. If I need full horsepower in Windows, I reboot into Windows using Boot Camp. If I just need to go into Windows for something quickly and don't want to interrupt my Mac work, I use Parallels.

I've used both Parallels and VMWare Fusion, and prefer Parallels. With lots of memory and the SSD, routine tasks are seemingly just as fast in the VM as they were in a native Windows boot.

Just be sure you have enough space on your SSD for a decent Windows installation. I partitioned ~70 GB (I have a 512 GB SSD on my MBA) and am using about half of the partition for Windows 7 and Office 2010 combined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.