Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:27 AM   #151
shashin
macrumors member

The cat made a well-timed decision to cross the street as I was composing an otherwise boring shot
Your comments are welcome.
shashin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:36 AM   #152
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
Love the color and lines in this one. I have a question or two for you, P. When you are shooting these type of photos with apertures like f/16 or 22 to get a wider DOF, do you use a DOF app to get the hyperfocal distance or do you just focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene? Secondly, since I have a 5D Mark III as well, do you center AF focus/recompose, move your focal point in the in viewfinder AF area array or manually focus? Just curious, and continuing to try to learn and improve. Thanks.
For shots like that one, I usually focus bracket in case I need to do some stacking in post to get enough depth of field. But before I do that I always try to get it in one shot just in case it's possible, and it very often is with wide-angle focal lengths. For the one-exposure version, I focus about a third of the way in (always manually), using Live View at 10x magnification. I then chimp and adjust as necessary. After I think I've gotten it all in one exposure, I then do some focus bracketing just in case (it's often difficult to tell how sharp everything is just by viewing the camera's little LCD screen, so I'm never entirely sure that it's all sharp while I'm in the process of shooting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbear View Post
I'm having a bad hair day !

Thumb resize.
So much character in this one! Great owl portrait.

Mine for today: a stitch of 19 vertical images in two rows, encompassing a field of view of approximately 160 degrees... (click to see it larger)

And just for fun, so you can see just how close I was to the waterfall: me shooting this photo.
Phrasikleia is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #153
AlexH
macrumors 65816

The right focus by DigitAl3x, on Flickr
AlexH is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:48 PM   #154
Doylem
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
I use the Cactus v5 triggers and the advertised range is 100m, but people report that they reach further. Even better, they have a hot shoe on top, so you can piggyback them to extend the range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijohn.8.80 View Post
Mine go for up to 200m's on a good day, they are cheap flea-bay 2.4GHz knockoffs that cost me about $20.
Thanks, guys. I'll check out eBay...
Doylem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:19 PM   #155
Educ8r
macrumors 6502a

Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:35 PM   #156
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Death Valley California...

Cheese&Apple is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:21 PM   #157
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtumple View Post
Thumb resize.

Los Angeles Definition Graffiti (1960d)

I see this every time I leave my friends house, I find it fitting that 2 days away from leaving LA, I finally got a shot of it.

(The 1960d project is a Prontor 125 rangefinder lens modified to fit my Canon 60d)

1/1250
ƒ2.8
ISO640
45 mm
Schtumple, I've enjoyed seeing LA through your eyes, especially your 1960d project, thanks for sharing it with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashin View Post
Thumb resize.
The cat made a well-timed decision to cross the street as I was composing an otherwise boring shot
Your comments are welcome.
shashin, this railway crossing has a Willy Wonka factor that most of us would recognise as uniquely Japanese. To me, it didn't even need the cat, it has enough fascination of its own (as an outsider).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasikleia View Post
For shots like that one, I usually focus bracket in case I need to do some stacking in post to get enough depth of field. But before I do that I always try to get it in one shot just in case it's possible, and it very often is with wide-angle focal lengths. For the one-exposure version, I focus about a third of the way in (always manually), using Live View at 10x magnification. I then chimp and adjust as necessary. After I think I've gotten it all in one exposure, I then do some focus bracketing just in case (it's often difficult to tell how sharp everything is just by viewing the camera's little LCD screen, so I'm never entirely sure that it's all sharp while I'm in the process of shooting).
Fantastic hint Phrasikleia, thanks a million. I had been wondering about focus stacking in landscapes for a little while now, particularly about exposure and focus bracketing combined together.

Quote:
Mine for today: a stitch of 19 vertical images in two rows, encompassing a field of view of approximately 160 degrees... (click to see it larger)

Thumb resize.

And just for fun, so you can see just how close I was to the waterfall: me shooting this photo.
Really nice stitch there. The shot of you so close to the falls had me in awe of how dedicated you are to this art form / obsession. It has only been since getting my Tokina 11-16mm ultra-wide angle lens that I realised just how ridiculously close it allows you to things. Which is of course, very cool. Until you bump into them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
Thumb resize.
The right focus by DigitAl3x, on Flickr
AlexH, good eye for spotting that inverted scene in the centre piece of glass. I was fascinated by that in our front door as a kid! I agree, right focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese&Apple View Post
Death Valley California...

Thumb resize.
Peter, way to go and get some drama! Love it!

Last edited by ijohn.8.80; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
ijohn.8.80 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:48 PM   #158
Ish
macrumors 68000

Moustiers, France

Ish is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:00 PM   #159
Ravaroo
macrumors 6502

Philly

Untitled by Ravaroo, on Flickr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:20 PM   #160
kallisti
macrumors 6502a

Icicles, icicles, icicles!! Captures one aspect of the blizzard last weekend.

Last edited by kallisti; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
kallisti is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:36 PM   #161
TheReef
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Very nice with the water pouring into the scene in a rather unexpected place.
Thanks, yeah I was quite surprised to see that too - large waves were breaking further out on the rock platform so the water tricked down to form this waterfall. Kind of surreal like a mini oasis.

Quote:
Thumb resize.
Quote:

Thumb resize.

Two very contrasting and excellent photos Phrasikleia!
That picture of you really puts things in perspective for your second shot, looks very cold
Impressive stitching of the collection of long exposures!
This is something I've been thinking about trying in combination with shallow DOF... imagine long exposures combined with the Brenizer method!

Pelican:

EF 400mm f/5.6L - 1/1600s - f/5.6 - ISO800 - 400mm

Last edited by TheReef; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
TheReef is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:42 PM   #162
shashin
macrumors member

"shashin, this railway crossing has a Willy Wonka factor that most of us would recognise as uniquely Japanese. To me, it didn't even need the cat, it has enough fascination of its own (as an outsider)."
quote ijohn.8.80

Thanks for the witty response! Now that you mention it, it does have a sort of Willy Wonka look to it! I hadn't thought of that before but a lot of things here strike me that way.
Here's today's shot. Again, responses are always welcome.

Last edited by shashin; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
shashin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 PM   #163
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Thumb resize.

Thank so very much for the feedback and education. How's the new RRS tripod holding up in the extreme cold? It looks awfully chilly in that picture of you by the waterfalls. Brrr....
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:29 PM   #164
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Ahh....

Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 PM   #165
shashin
macrumors member

Pillar

Here's today's photo. It's pretty interesting to find these places between the tall buildings in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
As always, your comments or recommendations are welcome.

24mm f/5.6 1/640 sec ISO 200
shashin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:28 AM   #166
mikeschmeee
macrumors 6502a

Juvenile Bald Eagle

Portfolio
mikeschmeee is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:40 AM   #167
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReef View Post
Two very contrasting and excellent photos Phrasikleia!
That picture of you really puts things in perspective for your second shot, looks very cold
Impressive stitching of the collection of long exposures!
This is something I've been thinking about trying in combination with shallow DOF... imagine long exposures combined with the Brenizer method
I look forward to seeing the results when you get around to trying that, Reef! There is a whole thread on POTN for sharing Brenizer method shots. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but it might hold some nuggets of information/inspiration for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcortese View Post
Thank so very much for the feedback and education. How's the new RRS tripod holding up in the extreme cold? It looks awfully chilly in that picture of you by the waterfalls. Brrr....
YW, I'm always happy to bloviate. The new tripod has been a real champ so far. It went right into battle on the front lines and came out unscathed. I've now had it out in some pretty nasty winter weather--that day by the frozen waterfall wasn't the worst of it.
Phrasikleia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:52 AM   #168
AlexH
macrumors 65816

Street portrait... K9 edition by DigitAl3x, on Flickr

NEX-5R + Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens
AlexH is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:19 AM   #169
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Taken last night about 10 minutes after sunset.

Canon 60D, Tokina 11-16mm, ISO 100, f11, 1/30, 11mm.

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:21 AM   #170
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

What a difference a day makes! Taken last Saturday...only one day after our worst snow storm in five years.

Last edited by Cheese&Apple; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
Cheese&Apple is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:01 AM   #171
acearchie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
What a difference a day makes! Taken last Saturday...only one day after our worst snow storm in five years.

Thumb resize.
Really nice shot. The sun and attitude makes it feel like a lazy summer beach shot to me but the snow paints a completely different picture!
acearchie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:11 AM   #172
TheReef
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I look forward to seeing the results when you get around to trying that, Reef! There is a whole thread on POTN for sharing Brenizer method shots. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but it might hold some nuggets of information/inspiration for you.
Cheers I had a look at that POTN thread, definitely some great inspiration, some of those portraits are incredible.

Times Square, NYC (Click for larger)

Last edited by TheReef; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
TheReef is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:55 AM   #173
mustang_dvs
macrumors 6502a

Remnants of Empire… by - PhotoSmith -, on Flickr

1D Mark III
EF 70-200 f/2.8L @ f/4 (handheld)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM   #174
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:

So much character in this one! Great owl portrait.

Thumb resize.

Impressive, to say the least! How much pre-planning went into this shot? Did you have the location and technique planned before the hike or did you just think this out on the fly? How did you calculate the horizontal pan to get the 19 seperate shots? Did you eyeball it or use the degree marks on your tripod head? What about the vertical to get the second row? Was your sequence across, up and back? Did you write all the settings down before starting the shoot?

Are the "tire chains" on your boots a replacement for snowshoes or something you carry in your pack for conditions like this? I've looked at something like this at REI. They would come in handy for safely carrying my gear up on my local version of the Alps.

Dale

Last edited by Designer Dale; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Edited photo link and more questions
Designer Dale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:19 AM   #175
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thumb resize.
Now that dude is chilled!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography