Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #201
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Whats this "functionality" you speak of..? Themes and addons from the Play Store? More customiZation? I have every single productivity app Android has and more.

I could care less about a little more sharing features and more customizations, and some tacky widgets that drain battery.its all in the apps and Apples App store is superior to the Play Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Then why did you jailbreak your iPhone? Why do you use Cydia?
I second this. There was no need to jailbreak your phone if stock iOS could do everything you wanted it to do.
dkersten is offline   2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #202
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Right so if Android is a bigger target than iOS, it HAS to be a bigger target than jail broken iOS. Why would you write malware for the least popular OS? Makes little sense
You're drifting off onto another path there. Regardless of how big Android has become that does nothing to negate the fact that someone can easily upload something malicious onto Cydia and that it could easily go unchecked. Android being larger doesn't inherently make it more dangerous. Just as there has been malware to hit the App Store, the same can easily happen in Cydia. The difference is, due to the type of software it is, it has the potential to be much more damaging.
The iGentleman is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:14 PM   #203
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
I second this. There was no need to jailbreak your phone if stock iOS could do everything you wanted it to do.
i didnt download the jailbreak for extra functionality, i just downloaded it for system tweaks and some customization and changed the font on my phone...thats all.... all my productivity apps are from the Apple App store

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Surely you can admit that scanning for known malware beats not scanning at all. Surely you can admit that some protection is better than no protection..ESPECIALLY when you're talking about a store that goes outside the walled garden and accesses the device in a way deeper than intended (Cydia).


You do realize that your links are talking about two different things right? As for the second link, that may have been the case as of December, but that does not mean that is how it is today. Google CONSTANTLY updates and makes changes. Besides that, the bottom line is that there is indeed a measure of protection, compared to one that does not. My comment regarding this was in response to the guy who mentioned Cydia being safer, when the truth is that Cydia has no protections in place, and thus is a bigger risk.
oh your absolutely right in the regard that having some measure of protection is better then none i completly 100% agree with you.. now with that being said, the improved Bouncer is in only Android 4.2, which very little devices have, only the Nexus line has 4.2 Android on there and even then not all of the Nexus devices have 4.2, only the GSM verisons so far have it.. so this improved measure of security only applies to a very little amount of devices on Android

And Cydia is not really known for having malware in the store, im not saying there isnt any malware, but its not known for having malware, plus i only download reliable things from Cydia that are trusted
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:14 PM   #204
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
You're drifting off onto another path there. Regardless of how big Android has become that does nothing to negate the fact that someone can easily upload something malicious onto Cydia and that it could easily go unchecked. Android being larger doesn't inherently make it more dangerous. Just as there has been malware to hit the App Store, the same can easily happen in Cydia. The difference is, due to the type of software it is, it has the potential to be much more damaging.
Thing is, if malware gets into the play store it will infect a lot more people than it would if it got into Cydia purely because of its popularity.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:17 PM   #205
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
i didnt download the jailbreak for extra functionality, i just downloaded it for system tweaks and some customization and changed the font on my phone...thats all.... all my productivity apps are from the Apple App store
So things you couldn't do on stock iOS, as in you needed to jailbreak your phone to make it work the way you wanted it to? See how your argument doesn't hold up to some of the outlandish claims you made
dkersten is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:22 PM   #206
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
So things you couldn't do on stock iOS, as in you needed to jailbreak your phone to make it work the way you wanted it to? See how your argument doesn't hold up to some of the outlandish claims you made
Changing fonts and other slight customizations options has nothing to do with functionality. I agree iOS is limited in customization and changing the way it looks and thats why i jailbroke my iPhone, not because i want "improved functionality or improved productivity"
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:51 PM   #207
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Thing is, if malware gets into the play store it will infect a lot more people than it would if it got into Cydia purely because of its popularity.
That's not necessarily true. Just because someone uploads an app with malware in it, doesn't mean it will infect a lot of people. People have to actually download it to be infected with it, which means people have to have a reason to download it. Regarding Cydia, malware could very easily be put into popular apps, and nobody would know the difference until is later discovered (if at all),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post

And Cydia is not really known for having malware in the store, im not saying there isnt any malware, but its not known for having malware, plus i only download reliable things from Cydia that are trusted
It doesn't have to be known for it, for it to happen. My point is that given the nature of what Cydia is and the type of apps that reside there, it is ripe for exploitation. Just because it hasn't happened yet (that we know of), does not mean it will not happen.
The iGentleman is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:56 PM   #208
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
That's not necessarily true. Just because someone uploads an app with malware in it, doesn't mean it will infect a lot of people. People have to actually download it to be infected with it, which means people have to have a reason to download it. Regarding Cydia, malware could very easily be put into popular apps, and nobody would know the difference until is later discovered (if at all),
You said it yourself earlier, malware is practically unheard of on less popular OSes like Mac, they go for the big guns, like Windows.

All of the antivirus companies are saying Android is where the malware is, which coincides with history. Popular, open OSes tend to be targeted far more than their closed, less popular counterparts.

I'm not saying Cydia is more secure, just that it is a less likely target due to the small userbase.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:00 PM   #209
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
??...got anything better to do then point out edits? I assume not
I'm not getting drawn into the nonsense you have posted. Others have already easily debunked it. I had merely hoped you were a youngster so there would at least be a semi-rational explanation for it. Oh well.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:10 PM   #210
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
First app I checked on Android in my hunt for potential malware just now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ImNvbS5oZTIiXQ..

(NSFW)

Why does this app need this permission?

-----------

PHONE CALLS
READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active and the remote number connected by a call.

-----------

Given the fairly high number of good ratings, it appears people aren't too concerned with that. There is no explanation for the permission given by the developer, as is usually the case when questionable permissions are there.

This was in the top lifestyle apps section.

Another:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...EucmVjaXBlcyJd

Approximate location and full phone access? Why do these apps need these permissions?!

Another:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...291bnRkb3duIl0.

This attempts to explain why the app needs the permissions it requests, but it doesn't make sense. I'm not sure of this is Androids fault, but it says that one of the features is sending SMS messages yet there's no send SMS permission, only a receive SMS permission? Does Android have a separate send SMS permission?
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.

Last edited by matttye; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
matttye is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 PM   #211
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I'm not getting drawn into the nonsense you have posted. Others have already easily debunked it. I had merely hoped you were a youngster so there would at least be a semi-rational explanation for it. Oh well.



Michael
No body has debunked anything, everything i reported is true, calling someone a youngster doesnt mae you sound very mature now does it? My whole argument was that malware is very high on Android and that argument still stands, no body debunked anything

No body debunked the fact that they found 23 high risk malicious apps in the Top 500 section..

Nobody debunked the fact that Androids Bouncer feature only picks up 15% of malware when it was put to the test, nobody debunked the fact that 99% of mobile malware targets Android...nothing was debunked so i dont get what you are saying


.sigh i really cant believe someone is calling me a youngster when chances are theyre most likely younger then me

Last edited by Bahroo; Feb 12, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:14 PM   #212
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
I think it's popularity makes it a bigger target than iOS, but certainly not more dangerous than Cydia. You have to remember that with Cydia, you're talking about apps that are designed to have deeper access to your device than intended. These apps are going unchecked, and thus have a greater potential for something sinister to be embedded in them.
Let's not forget that, all these years later, there are no reviews in the mess that is the Cydia "Store." Want to see what others think of that tweak before buying it? It's up to you to go out and search.

It's particularly insulting since Saurik (owner of Cydia) "merged" with Rock and closed it down. There may have been issues with Rock but at least it had reviews (which Saurik said were "coming soon" to Cydia--along with a wealth of other improvements that never came).

The awesome Cydia Store on the web: http://cydia.saurik.com/store/. Like it is on iOS, essentially a place to sell ads.




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:14 PM   #213
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Changing fonts and other slight customizations options has nothing to do with functionality. I agree iOS is limited in customization and changing the way it looks and thats why i jailbroke my iPhone, not because i want "improved functionality or improved productivity"
Then what are these "system tweaks" you speak of? Clearly something is keeping you off stock iOS, which cripples your arguments of iOS being superior from previously in this thread.
dkersten is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #214
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
And Cydia is not really known for having malware in the store, im not saying there isnt any malware, but its not known for having malware, plus i only download reliable things from Cydia that are trusted
Cydia is known for allowing pirated apps. You picked the wrong sword to fall on with that one. Hmmmmmm....



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:20 PM   #215
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Cydia is known for allowing pirated apps. You picked the wrong sword to fall on with that one. Hmmmmmm....



Michael
Hmm theres pirared apps all over 3 rd party app stores on Android...hmmm
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #216
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
No body has debunked anything, everything i reported is true, calling someone a youngster doesnt mae you sound very mature now does it?
I didn't call you a youngster; I merely hoped that would be the case before writing you off as 100% unbelievable, should I ever see you in another thread.



Michael
Tinmania is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:34 PM   #217
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Then what are these "system tweaks" you speak of? Clearly something is keeping you off stock iOS, which cripples your arguments of iOS being superior from previously in this thread.
Pretty sure you cant get tweaks like Pandora skip hacker and other tweaks on stock Android.
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:39 PM   #218
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
calling someone a youngster doesnt mae you sound very mature now does it?
No.................... Oh, wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
No need to argue with a child here

Why dont you actually go read online instead of being a ignornant child.


daveathall is offline   1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:40 PM   #219
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
You said it yourself earlier, malware is practically unheard of on less popular OSes like Mac, they go for the big guns, like Windows.
Actually I never said anything of the sort.

Quote:
All of the antivirus companies are saying Android is where the malware is, which coincides with history. Popular, open OSes tend to be targeted far more than their closed, less popular counterparts.
The problem is oft overstated. Typically the ones you hear stating how "bad" the threat is, are the ones that stand to gain from the fear (antivirus companies). Even antivirus company Lookout, stated that in the US, consumers have a .2 - .4% chance of being infected with a virus on their Android device. Is there malware out there? Sure. Is it a big of a problem as it's oft made out to be? No.

Quote:
I'm not saying Cydia is more secure
Then we agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Let's not forget that, all these years later, there are no reviews in the mess that is the Cydia "Store." Want to see what others think of that tweak before buying it? It's up to you to go out and search.

It's particularly insulting since Saurik (owner of Cydia) "merged" with Rock and closed it down. There may have been issues with Rock but at least it had reviews (which Saurik said were "coming soon" to Cydia--along with a wealth of other improvements that never came).

The awesome Cydia Store on the web: http://cydia.saurik.com/store/. Like it is on iOS, essentially a place to sell ads.




Michael
Good point. Cydia is ripe for exploitation. With the way it is set up, it would not be surprising to later find out there already are apps that are stealing information, present in their store.
The iGentleman is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:43 PM   #220
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
No.................... Oh, wait.





The difference is that his age shows through his posts i can assume he is under the age of 18, which in the US is considered a child if your younger then 18
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:46 PM   #221
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
The difference is that his age shows through his posts i can assume he is under the age of 18, which in the US is considered a child if your younger then 18
Im 55 sunny. I have been a British soldier for over 40 years. I joined the army when I was 15 in 1972.
daveathall is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:47 PM   #222
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Im 55 sunny.
Wasnt talking about you... and my dads 55 aswell lmao thats neat
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:49 PM   #223
dkersten
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Pretty sure you cant get tweaks like Pandora skip hacker and other tweaks on stock Android.
Or you could be an adult and pay for Pandora Premium or Spotify and be able to skip whenever you want
dkersten is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:51 PM   #224
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
No..just no..you fail. End of story
Hahaah you're like a child.
IFRIT is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:53 PM   #225
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Pretty sure you cant get tweaks like Pandora skip hacker and other tweaks on stock Android.
No offense, but I don't think using an example of stealing a service is really a very good point....unless the point you are trying to make is that you can bypass paid services or steal services easier on iOS.
...and btw...you can do that on Android also lol.
The iGentleman is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My iOS 7 vs Android Jelly Bean - Vine Chodite Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 Jun 11, 2013 03:56 PM
phones: Jelly Bean Wifi Issue hunterheath33 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Mar 17, 2013 06:30 AM
Jelly Bean Wifi Issues skippymac Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Jan 29, 2013 05:10 AM
Samsung S3 jelly bean update on mac? klmaj Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Sep 28, 2012 09:24 AM
mobile OSs: iOS and Jelly Bean (merged) AustinIllini Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 447 Jul 24, 2012 10:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC