Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon and Monoprice Offering Certified, Low Cost Lightning-to-USB Cables

Both Monoprice and Amazon are now offering low cost Lightning cables, priced at $11.77 and $14.99, respectively, for a standard 3-foot cable.

That's a significant savings over Apple's official Lightning cables that are sold online and at retail stores for $19.99.

Monoprice is known for offering high quality generic cables at a deep discount. In addition to the standard 3ft cable, Monoprice is also selling a 6ft cable for $12.56 and a Slimfit cable for $12.73. The cables are all MFi certified Lightning to USB charge/sync cables, made to work with the iPad, iPhone, and iPod. The Slimfit cable from Monoprice is set to ship out in the beginning of March, with the other two cables following later in the month.

Amazon is only offering a 3ft MFi Certified cable at this time, but it is available to ship immediately.

While there are cheaper lightning cables available, the offerings from Amazon and Monoprice are MFi (Made for iPad/iPhone/iPod) Certified, which means they have been approved by Apple. Other low cost Lighting cable options are unofficial, which has introduced concerns about quality and compatibility.

Apple has been maintaining strict control over the Lightning connector and accessories that utilize the technology, insisting that Lightning-related accessories are manufactured in Apple-approved facilities. As a result, the introduction of lower-cost licensed Lightning cables has been slow.

Article Link: Amazon and Monoprice Offering Certified, Low Cost Lightning-to-USB Cables
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Awesome news! Of course I just purchased a knock-off adapter, but these will be of a much better quality. I love Monoprice's cables I'll just wait for the exact measurements of the Monoprice cable, hopefully it will work with the iPhone 5 case I got from them as well.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3
JarScott
macrumors 68000

Isn't this something Apple would want to stop from happening? Don't they WANT people to pay 25 for an official cable?
JarScott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Inakto
macrumors regular

I bought $2.50 lightning cables from dealextreme and they work just as well as the originals
Inakto is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

Well its about time. Just goes to show the ridiculous profit margins Apple still makes on the new cables
dkersten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
afawcett
macrumors member

I know people have been getting cheaper cables from various venders, but I've heard many complaints that these cables will charge but not sync. Hopefully these cables will have better quality control.
afawcett is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
jca24
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inakto View Post
I bought $2.50 lightning cables from dealextreme and they work just as well as the originals
Most likely not for long. The cheap chi-com crap will burn you!
jca24 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca24 View Post
You really don't believe the most of the cheap knockoffs aren't coming out of the back door of the same factory that makes the officially branded stuff? In other words, the same exact cable, minus the logo?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
mrhick01
macrumors regular

The market speaks.

Two companies with a penchant for quality lower-priced products have produced some.

Good.
mrhick01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Inakto
macrumors regular

Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion and empty wallet.
Inakto is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarScott View Post
Isn't this something Apple would want to stop from happening? Don't they WANT people to pay 25 for an official cable?
Since these are certified cables, they probably still make money on them.

B
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 68000

The Monoprice "slimfit" Lightning cable.... me wants!!!

Finally, someone put some thought into producing a cable. In this case, it means the cable can be easily connected to the iOS device without having to remove it from a case.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:43 PM   #13
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Well its about time. Just goes to show the ridiculous profit margins Apple still makes on the new cables
I can pickup Apple's official cable from any Apple Store at $17.50 with employee purchase plan (available to employees of many large companies). So for me personally, saving few bucks by choosing Monoprice ($14.57 with shipping) or Amazon ($14.99) isn't worth the trouble.

Even at full $19, we are talking about just $4 more per cable.
nutmac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 PM   #14
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
You really don't believe the most of the cheap knockoffs aren't coming out of the back door of the same factory that makes the officially branded stuff? In other words, the same exact cable, minus the logo?
Have you actually compared the dealextreme/dailysteals cables to the real ones? They aren't similar at all. If they really are coming out of the same factory but through a different door, then I would expect them to be at least of similar construction. They are quite different, and therefore I suspect the cheap ones are inferior enough for the risk to be not worthwhile, in my opinion.
oneMadRssn is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarScott View Post
I would guess that Apple knows that some people will look for and find cheap cables anyway, certified or not.

By certifying them for the most popular cheap brands, they still make money and can try to insure that they work properly so that they don't ruin the experience of iDevice users.
Casiotone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Been using my ~2.00 one for 3 months now. I have one in the car and one in the kitchen for charging - both work fine. You'd have a hard time telling them appart from the 'official' ones.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:03 PM   #17
troop231
macrumors 601

Still enjoying my own DIY "made" 6 foot cables

Thumb resize.
troop231 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #18
mscann
macrumors member

Why is it so hard to make the connector head the same size as the apple ones? None of these cables work on closed bottom cases
mscann is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #19
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
That'd be nice. I bought 10 when I thought I saw a set that was highly rated on Amazon. 6 weeks later 3 have failed. 7 to go! I bought so many with a plan to provide them to my clients with new iPhones (I do computer repair/setup, etc) but clearly I can't give these things to my clients even for free. I got a refund of $12 from the seller (total cost was $45). The generics are not the same as the originals. Unfortunately that's because Apple went to such great lengths to make them hard to copy.
cameronjpu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #20
santaliqueur
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inakto View Post
You're welcome to your opinion and empty wallet.
A $20 cable will somehow empty your wallet out? Get a job.
santaliqueur is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Noit21
macrumors newbie

just got the Amazon one yesterday in the mail... works like a charm... charge and sync...
Noit21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:06 PM   #22
ShinySteelRobot
macrumors member

Not a fan of black cables anymore. Gives me scary flashbacks to when I had to use a Dell at work.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #23
tann
macrumors 65816

Are these available in the UK yet?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 PM   #24
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

If the cables were like 9.99, then I'd say it's worth it, but for only a few bucks less, to me the regular cables seem just fine. But again, that's just me
joeshmo2010 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:10 PM   #25
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Damn, at first I read this as a thunderbolt to USB cable. I was gonna say, I can finally make use of these worthless thunderbolt ports on my rMBP at last!
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion